“Needs work”

Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Went the The Wharf for a romantic dinner and found it be be very average. The service was ok but my main gripe is with the food. The local oysters came with juiceless lemon and an odd salsa that was in no way complementary. The mains, both consisting for fish were good but didn't seem too fresh and were a little overcooked but the real nail in the coffin was the dessert. I ordered the affogato and was brought a tablespoon or less of ice cream and burnt coffee which when poured over created an inedible mess. My partner was disappointed with his dessert also, not just the flavour but the portion. The worst part of this experience however was when we went to pay we were asked how are meals where. I said very politely that it was good but there were a couple of disappointments. Hearing this the manager came over and asked what our problem was, reasonably aggressively. He then went on to lecture me about how it was my responsibility to let staff know during the meal what the issue is and not at the end. After this lecture I asked if we could just pay as I wanted to leave and the desserts were removed from the bill but I would not return due to the quality of food for the price and the managers aggressive/hostile behaviour.

1  Thank Coco D

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We ate at the Wharf 3 times during our stay in Russell and always had an excellent experience. The fish was exceptionally good!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Great food , atmosphere , service , faultless . Position and view of the wharf wonderful . A real village atmosphere with sophisticated service . Well done :-)

Reviewed 9 January 2014

The family & a couple of friends went to The Wharf to try the Stone Grill meal. So nice and tasty. I was apprehensive at first to order a steak since I like it well done... cooked it myself on the stone grill and it was superb! I'm going to try something else next time. The kids even managed to cook their food to their liking. It was tasty and a good sized portion.

1  Thank 556Family
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We checked all the restaurants in Russel and ended up dining in the Wharf. It is nicely located at the Wharf and you will have your dinner accompanied by the sunset over the sea. We had different kind of food and it was all good. Although you actually take away the responsability of cooking from the cook, the stonegrill is a nice event dinner. You can make the meat or seafood exactly the way you want it. The service was nice, too.