“Superb location, great food and excellent service.”

The Wharf - Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #15 of 23 Restaurants in Russell
Price range: US$16 - US$24
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Wellington, New Zealand
“Superb location, great food and excellent service.”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We dined at The Wharf on a very busy Tuesday night. It was their kids eat free night so we expected it to be busy and had booked a table earlier in the day. The location is superb with fabulous views across the wharf to the harbour and Paihia in the distance. We ordered a range of meals from the menu (only one of our children took up the kids eat free menu option) all of our meals were superb, well presented and delicious. Our waitress was Hayley and we were all in awe of her skills, she was the only staff member running the restaurant and she managed to keep the service flowing with minimal delays. She was awesome!!

2 Thank Leanne D

Brisbane, Australia
“When others are booked out.....”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were recommended another restaurant but it was booked out, so we walked about 50 metres and found The Wharf. All meals were of a very high standard and the service was excellent although they only had a couple of staff. I particularly have to comment on the calamari having eaten some very good quality over the years. The tempura calamari was sensational, cooked absolutely perfectly, possibly the best I have ever eaten. None of my party had the stone grill that is the speciality of the Wharf but the stone grilled meals served to others looked very very good.

1 Thank terrytooth
Auckland, New Zealand
“The wharf-a great place to go eat.”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

On the busy weekend up in Russell, we decided to go check out the wharf as people in our group wanted seafood and with the pub being closed to a private function- we couldn't go past the wharf. I myself was keen to try something from the stone grill, something I wanted to experience. With a few things taking my fancy. I ordered the fish of the day stone grill. I certainly wasn't left disappointed, (nor was anyone else at our table) it was very tasty and nicely presented as were all the starters we all shared first. Service was pretty good considering it was Easter weekend, and was great to see the chef make time to come out to see if we enjoyed our meals. Over all a great experience and will be back again to try something else.

2 Thank littlecheese3
“Service Needs Huge Improvement”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

The Wharf has an awesome position on Russell's pretty waterfront. This was the first time I had tried a stone grill menu and I'm not hugely convinced of it. I had the seafood one. There was only 2 service staff on even though it was a cruise ship day. As a result we were not well looked after and we were very disappointed. We sat on 1 drink each as we couldn't get the waiters attention. Plates not cleared got fed up waiting to order pudding. Sorry but I'd doubt we'll be back.

1 Thank LovesToTravelKiwi
Russell, New Zealand
“The Wharf”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

It was great food but the service is really slow now. It is very expensive as well ... but that seems to be the norm in Russell for some reason.

• Visited March 2014