“value for money”

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Hastings
Tauranga, New Zealand
“value for money”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

took the family to Splash planet for the weekend and stayed at this motel. it was clean, tidy and friendly staff. I had no complaints or concerns. On site swimming pool was great for the kids and easy walk to town.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms were the best
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Liz S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Room basically OK. Bed comfortable, quiet fan and fridge, nice crockery and clean surfaces. Let down by a filthy old shower, with little water pressure, no where to put soap or shampoo and dangerous for those with sight difficulties or elderly with two floor levels in and out of shower. Filthy shower curtain. No coat hangers or anywhere comfortable to sit. No extra pillows. Disappointing Motel and expensive for what is on offer.

Room Tip: Upstairs have a tiny balcony and a view over the pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lavinia832
Mangere, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Nothing much to brag about staying here as we were only here for the night. Price of this unit was $120 and for that you got a queen bed and single bed, tv, microwave, toilet and shower!compare this to a 5 star spa resort we had the next night in Taupo we got a whole lot more than this for only an extra $15 a night. The light bulb flickered in the bathroom which made it very dark and dim by the morning the light gave way so we showered in the dark! Space is so tight in this unit so definitely do not recommend for the family traveller. It was ok for us as we were only a couple who needed a bed for the night. There is a swimming pool but just looking at it from our balcony it looked like it hasn't had a good clean in a long time, i could be wrong about this but we didn't bother swimming in it. Rooms have no AC and it was summer so it got quite hot and stuffy however opening the balcony door brought in a good breeze. Staff were friendly, can't comment on service as we didn't need it. We only travelled 5 hours from Auckland to go to Splash Planet so location wise it was handy and quite close to everything. In hastings there is not much to do so the quick stay was perfect for us and like I said this place is really nothing to brag about and we only booked here because it was the cheapest place we could find with 2 rooms available for the same night and close to where we needed to go! Not sure if I would recommend it to anyone but probably wouldn't pay the same price for that room...perhaps $95-$100 is more reasonable!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dayna S
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We were looking for somewhere cheap - but not something below standards. We paid for 2 nights but wish we didn't. The room was just tiny - the bed felt like it was from 100 years ago. Woke up with aching body every morning. I opted for the floor through out the stay to see which one was comfortable. The bathroom was yuck! It felt like a public toilet where you could feel that it was dirty. No shower curtains - the TV was a box that sat on desk & took up most of the room. The tea & coffee looked as though it was there 6 months earlier. Was given milk on arrival tk be told hey theres no fridge in your room. So where do you want me to store the milk? December? Summer? ... hmmm...Asked if their was a communal kitchen only to be shown a communal rubbish place they call a kitchen? That had an oven disgustingly filthy, microwave with stains & food stuck to it for almost a year & just wanted to spew walking into the kitchen. This place is so wore down that you better paying extra $10 to get abit of service. The staff was not friendly & quiet snotty. But who could forget the Pickers that roam around as if it's their home - making you feel quiet unsafe cause all they do is stand around & watch you as you come in & out of the place. Don't stay here! Its not worth your money. Stay away from here if you can!!! Made my first visit to Hastings in December a painful experience!! Worst accommodation ever...

• Stayed December 2013

Travellers are raving about these Hastings hotels

Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I almost didn't book here after reading some of the reviews but I am glad I did...My experience was bloody awesome!!!!I think some of the reviewers need to take a good look at themselves before placing there reviews and if they want 5 star then pay the price if you want clean and affordable and friendly then book here.Highly recommended...A big thanks to Rob and Stacy

Room Tip: The staff are really friendly and will answer any questions you may have and will book you into the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie W
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Highly disapointed with this motel. Manger was friendly when we arrived but was all down hill frim there. We booked a budget room thinking it would b all we needed, which it was (a bed, tv, toilet and shower) and at $66 a night for these few things i thought they would be at a decebt standed, boy was a wrong!
The toilet didnt flush properly, the shower floor was very slippery, there was missing bits of skirting board and dents in the walls in the bathroom. One of the spot lights above.the bed didnt work, we swapped bulbs and it still didnt go. The plug looked extremly dodgy, there was no smoke alarm, the tv remote only.turned the tv off, the volume down button on the tv turned it up and changed the channel. Then to top it off we arrived baxk the 2nd.night of our stay to a huge coackroach in the bathroom and 1 on the wall by our bed...and they were big! We both wrote a facebook status about our coackroach problem and tagged apple motor inn in them and were then blocked from their page. This tells me they knew of that problem but dont want to deal with it....or perhaps they knew that we would write a bad review on their page.and wanted ro avoid it.
Budget room or not this was unacceptable and i definitely will not be staying their again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank kat0927
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am writing to tell people how rudely we were treated at Apple Motor Inn in Hastings
on the 22nd Dec 2014. My husband myself, 19 year old son and 6 year old grandson were booked in to stay one night. We arrived back after being out for dinner at 9 p.m. The owner and
several other people were drinking and listening to loud music in the central grass area
about 20 feet from our room. The music was loud, they were shouting, singing ( badly! )
and generally being pretty damn inconsiderate as to how loud they were being. At 11p.m.
we were all still awake and our 6 year old was getting a little distressed as he was just
so tired. ( We had driven 8 hours to get there ) I stuck my head out the door and yelled
to them saying "It's 11 p.m. - will you please have some consideration as we are trying
to sleep." They muttered something so I yelled back that consideration costs nothing, and
eventually they turned the music off and headed inside about 11.30. The next morning I was
knocking on the office door from 8 as they were supposed to be open. The cleaner was telling
me they were drinking last night so will probably be late opening as that is what usually
happens, so I told her how unimpressed I was and how rude I thought they were. Eventually
at 8.15 the man manager opened the door and said to me " I don't want to hear anything you
have to say because I have heard it all from upstairs. I told him that 11 p.m. is very
unreasonable to still be drinking and yelling and he told me "It was only 11 pm and that's not
late - its Christmas so get over yourself. I said my 6 year old was getting upset as he
couldn't sleep because there was too much noise and we were tired after our long drive and his reply was "That's not my problem ".
I walked away and we left the motel. We have stayed there before with no complaint but this
was without a doubt the rudest and most inhospitable person I have ever come across in the
hospitality trade. His attitude was unbelievable and very very disappointing. We will definitely not
recommend the Apple Inn to anybody we know.
Valerie Roycroft