“Horrible worst place in history of food and service”
Review of No.5 Cafe & Larder

No.5 Cafe & Larder
Ranked #10 of 85 Restaurants in Hastings
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand, European, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Next to Golflands.
Wellington, New Zealand
“Horrible worst place in history of food and service”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This place Wow where do I start rude very rude we had a group for brunch and I got told this place was great!

We had nine people for brunch nine out of four people food was burnt had to get sent back and one of the guests they brought out the wrong item. I told the. The item was wrong she questioned me as if it was fault the the waitress argued with me and the they sent another one one!

NEVER AGIAN WILL I ATTEND WITH PLACE I AM BETTER OFF AR KFC.

200 down the drain!

Crap food crap service STAY HOME

• Visited February 2014
No5NZ, Owner at No.5 Cafe & Larder, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
We are very sorry you and your table did not enjoy your experience at No.5 Café and Larder on Sunday.

I have spoken with both Front Of House staff who served you and can assure you there was no intention for the dialogue to be rude or to disagree with what you had said. If our Front Of House staff get complaints from customers, our procedure is for the issue to be discussed with the Café Team Leader in the first instance. We encourage this because otherwise Management may never find out problems.

Although we try our hardest to make sure orders taken are accurate, mistakes do happen from time to time. We are constantly fine tuning our system to ensure each table has the best possible experience at the time. We are very sorry about the burnt toast – this should not have happened and I have discussed with the whole Kitchen team the standards we expect every one of our customers to receive.

As already discussed and agreed in our email correspondence we will send your mother a voucher and hope to see her again so we can reassure her that Sunday’s experience will not be repeated.

Best regards

Johnny Duncan

Napier, New Zealand
“Tried it...”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Went here for a work breakfast. The service was good but the food not. I had the corn fritters, which cracked when the knife hit them they were that brittle and dry. They came with a salad...which at breakfast time doesn't quite work. I won't be back.

Visited December 2013
No5NZ, Owner at No.5 Cafe & Larder, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy our corn fritters. It is a pitty you did not mention it at the time as I would have liked to have offered you a replacement or an alternative.

Our corn fritters are on our all day Breakfast menu and although it might be a little odd to have a side salad first thing in the morning, it is usually well received from brunch onwards.

I am glad you enjoyed the service.
One of our goals is to get repeat customers and i'd like to invite you to contact me by email at info@no5.co.nz so I can try to persuade you to try us again.
Hastings, New Zealand
“A lttle noisy hummer”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

9 of us had a get together lunch, welcome was friendly, big smile from staff member. Wide range of food on menu & blackboard & also cabinet. Prices were okay depending on what you had. Beware the Thai fish cakes as they were quite spicy. There is enough there to please the most fussy. Plenty of Low fat & Gluten free.

• Visited November 2013
Hastings, New Zealand
“Great service, Average food....”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Sunday brunch was calling and as we live literally just around the corner we thought it was high time we visited. It was very very busy and we were extremely lucky to grab a table. The coffee was excellent the food not so much. My husband ordered the Salt and Lemon Pepper Squid and I took a punt with the Thai Fish cakes. The squid was average- not enough and nothing special. The fish cakes although tasty were dry and had a funny gritty texture. Their saving grace was the excellent service. Friendly staff, quick service for such a busy morning and a nice location. Would I revisit? Not sure....To be honest, there are alot of other venues in both directions that have far better food.

• Visited September 2013
No5NZ, Owner at No.5 Cafe & Larder, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to visit and review our café. We have been getting quite busy recently and it is often a good idea to book a table in advance to ensure you get one, particularly if weather is not so good and everyone wants to sit inside.

I am glad you enjoyed the service and our coffee but sorry to learn you were not entirely satisfied with the food. I will discuss your review with our chefs. We always appreciate feedback good and bad, particularly at the time of visit when it is easier to take action and remedy any issues.

I hope you give us another chance to improve your impression of us, repeat business it is very important to us.
New Zealand
“Good hot coffee & friendly staff”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Welcoming friendly staff. Staff knowledgeable regarding menu and food counter items. Sadly our timing was for afternoon tea (would rather have been there for brunch or lunch looking at the great menu!). I couldn't fault the service, the hot coffee, the scrumptious savoury muffin which was served nicely plated/decorated.
Next visit will time it for brunch or maybe we'll try the High Tea!!!
Can well recommend this place based solely on the coffee and savoury muffin!!

• Visited September 2013