“great 2 nights stay”
Review of Valdez Motor Lodge

Valdez Motor Lodge
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Arriving towards Hastings we were informed that the Art Deco Festival was on and that accommodation would be difficult. The Site office helped us find Valdez Motor Lodge which was the perfect base for our time here. Warwick and Judy were wonderful hosts and made sure our stay was enjoyable. The rooms are clean and spacious with well equipped kitchenette and a nice addition is a courtyard, we enjoyed our breakfast and dinners sitting here. A great find and highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsManning585
There are newer reviews for Valdez Motor Lodge

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I rencetly arrived back again at a rather late Saturday afternoon. Judy was there to help and organise my requirements including restuarants, internet connection, marked on the map. When I arrived the shop on foot, the door had already a "closed" sign on. When I turned back empty handed, suddenly I felt very hungry. But lo behold! I saw Judy walking to me! I could hardly believe my eyes. Then she drove me to another place where I was able to get what I wanted. I do not think there are many hosts to go to this way to look after their guests. My big thank-you from my bottom of the heart to Judy and Warwick. Next time I organise my arrival much earlier to have a good dip in the pool for relaxing my stiff neck.
I would strongly recommend to anyone travelling to Hastings/Havelock North/Naipier the Valdez!
Humi Tremayne

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank hisamat
Reviewed 12 March 2014

As a business traveller I get to stay in many hotels and motels and, in my opinion, the Valdez is up there with the best. The staff are always obliging and helpful, the rooms are clean and very spacious and the location is perfect.

For anyone travelling to Hastings I would recommend staying at the Valdez!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are set back from the road and thus very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ValdezMotorLodge, Owner at Valdez Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words
Judy

Reviewed 9 March 2014

A group of us travel away annually & have done so for 23 years & this years trip took us to Hastings. Our accommodation was arranged by a friend so we hadn't bothered looking at previous reviews and this was a lesson learned as we will no longer make bookings without checking the place out first! On arrival, the person at reception, who I assume was the manager wasn't welcoming at all! She was rude to our group & then when she saw that we had a child in our group, she said "oh do you have a child staying, well we haven't made arrangements for that" I suggested that she sort the rest of the group out & that I would see what needed to be done, but she snapped at me saying "we will need to move you as there is no room in the unit for the child". This left our 8 year old upset & repeating what he'd just heard. I did consider staying somewhere else, but in the 23 years of travelling away we always stay together, so I decided to stay. We were advised that the cleaners would be in the rooms at 9.30am & if you didn't want your bed made then you should leave clothes or belongings on the bed so the cleaners would know to leave it alone. We then decided that rather than relaxing we would go out as no- one particularly wanted to hang around the motel after such a bad reception. Day 2 saw one of our group receiving a call from reception to state that the cleaners had advised her that they believed fish had been cooked in the room & that there was a notice on the wall hanging next to the oven which states that we weren't permitted to cook offensive smelling foods in our rooms & that on this occasion we wouldn't be charged the $150 it would cost to deodorise the room, as this is a 5 star motel. We apologised & also stated that the sign wasn't clear. In one room when one of our group got a chopping board out whilst the cleaner was there, a cockroach crawled out, he advised the cleaner & was told to use the flyspray provided & in another room there was mould on the curtains, which seemed shouldn't be the case for a 5 star motel. On the 3rd morning I returned to my room to find the cleaner re- making the bed, which had clothes on it, which needed to be moved in order for the bed to be made. I pointed this out to the cleaner & she responded by saying that as a 5 star motel they are required to make the beds, I told her that I wasn't happy that our things were moved as we were told that they wouldn't be, I then asked her not to touch anything else in the room. I know that Hastings is looking at hosting the National Kapa Haka competition & I will advise the networks I have, not to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Cheryl we are sorry your stay at the Valdez Motor Lodge was unhappy as our aim is to please our customers.
We advised your group that our cleaners would be starting work at 9.30am to help with their stay.
It is our policy to change all bed linen every 3 days if the customer is staying 4 or more days, we are sorry this upset you as we were refreshing your room.
As we have a sign on the wall and in the compendium asking you not to cook seafood, I rang you and asked you not to cook fish again.
We have a ongoing bug spraying policy but unfortunately on the odd occasion one may beat us.
We wish to say sorry once again as it was never our intension to upset any of your group.
Warwick & Judy

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in a studio unit, and like other reviewers found it to be very good - spacious, clean and quiet. The only negative for us (may not bother others) was that it was dark inside and the little private outdoor courtyard needed 'refreshing' - so it was not conducive to sitting outside.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Lovely accommodation over two floors so main bedroom was upstairs with windows on either side allowing air to flow through on a very hot day. Very pleasant service. Sorry to have only stayed for one night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wendy G
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I've been staying at Valdez for several years, and frankly wouldn't bother to look elsewhere. The rooms are excellent (much bigger than average) and the quietness is great.
Staff are friendly and obliging, and the setting is great.

To me Valdez is my home away from home.

Room Tip: Tell the owners what you need and they'll sort you out.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Thomarse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
The Manse
#7 of 18 in Hastings
Fairmont Motor Lodge
Fairmont Motor Lodge
#8 of 18 in Hastings

Been to Valdez Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!