“Good cheap hotel with character”

The Devereux Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Remuera
nofixedabode
“Good cheap hotel with character”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Stayed in the Bodrum Room - which is a reasonably-sized room with en-suite. Hotel is very clean and well-decorated. There is off-street car parking. The staff were very friendly and quite helpful - like a family hotel. The hotel is away from Remuera Road and so quiet. The walls are old and thin and could hear someone snoring - was he in the next room, or two rooms away!! All in all, very enjoyable and well-priced. Bed was pretty good.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I had noted the disappointing reviews on the Devereux's website and decided to check out for myself as I have often walked past this hotel for many years, but not entered into the grounds. I returned from a 6 month vacation on the Gold Coast New Years eve, and needed to acquire local accommodation close to my teenage daughters school. When I entered the hotel, I was greeted by the most charming chinese family who had difficulty with the english language, but did their best to accommodate my daughter and I in one of their finest rooms - whereby I have comfortably stayed for the past 6 weeks. The hotel is a little "tired" , but clean and cared for and appears to be slowly coming back to life with the many guests who are now staying there. I love the "secret garden" off the conservatory, and the new "kiwi" manager has created some really nice changes around the property and inside the house. We had guests staying from all over the world which was really lovely as there is a home away from home feel which takes away the impersonal stays from the hotel/motel accommodation. Not for this girl thanks! I was sad to finish my stay, but will certainly look forward to returning soon to enjoy all the new facilities that will be available I believe in the very near future. All the best to the Jiang family for being so caring and welcoming, and I wish the delightful new lady host all the best with her new role. (and I can't wait to enjoy one of the "breakfast at Tiffany" morning teas I understand will be available soon. Thanks Devereux from Claudia and Petra.

Room Tip: If you want the cheapest room - ask for the Bodrum - gorgeous little window seat but quite small.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank PetraNZ
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Very basic thought it might be ok for the price but was wrong. Rooms are basic but ok, service was all gone staff could not be bothered with me and I felt like I was in the way.

Won't be back, but will try another hotel in the next few week but not this !!!

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Remuera hotels

New Zealand
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I had to come to Auckland for work last week, and being school holidays everything was so expensive, so stumbled across this place on Wotif. The rooms have a rack rate of $250, so thought it can’t have been too bad. Now I don’t want to give this place a terrible review….. but if you were paying in the two hundreds for this place I would be feeling rather ripped off about now.

Let’s start with the positives – it is in a great location(well for me), central Remuera and close to the motorway. Free car parking, and the rooms are back off the road, so limited road noise.

When I drive up, my immediate reaction was that this place needed some work, the outdoors really needs some attention. When I arrived at reception it was closed, and the mobile numbers at the desk when straight to voicemail, so it took a couple of attempts to get someone.

My room was ok, as I said I would have been very disappointed for $250 as it is certainly not worth that. Room was tiny, with a double bed, small fridge and a small ensuite. The bathroom spelt rather damp.

Bed comfort was ok, but nothing to write home about.

For me the negatives were – room was freezing cold, I had the heater on full the whole time I was in the room (including throughout the night), and it still didn’t seem to get that warm, walls are paper thin, staff although tried to be friendly, English was a second language for the guys who served me, so took a long time to explain what I wanted, lastly although the room was clean (bathroom, sheets etc), it was all the little things like dusting, cobwebs etc that had not been done that bothered me.

Overall I don’t think I would stay here again, just for the fact that the rooms were so cold, and the fact that they would even try and charge $250 for the room.

This place with a little love and time could be awesome, but at the moment it just isn't there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank waikatogirl
auckland
Reviewed 26 June 2011

if you want a tidy clean and comfortable hotel then go for it but don't expect the boutique experience

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rustic34
Kamloops
Reviewed 25 May 2009

First stop on our journey. Very welcoming staff member and first impressions. Loved our sunny individually furnished and decorated room upstairs. Best breakfast we had all holiday and loved the setting in the garden conservatory. Fantastic value for money and very memorable. Thanks

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Kirkland, WA
Reviewed 4 June 2006

This comfortable hotel has pleasant rooms, each with its own individual decor and interesting furniture and antiques. Bathrooms tend to be small - ours was particularly cramped and the basin was useless.
Good breakfast with nice choices on buffet and on cooked menu. Tea/coffee and cookies and complimentary evening glass of wine available.
The hotel does have broadband internet, but you'll have to remember your own ethernet cable! Staff friendly and unobtrusive - the new owners took over late last year, and they are still working on refreshing the look of this hotel, but we wish them well.

Made a very good base for us, as our family are in Remuera, but may be too far from town for most visitors. It's a 15-20 minute drive or bus ride into downtown, but there are pleasant restaurants and cafes within easy walking distance.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank EnglishwomanAbroad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Remuera
Kiwi International Hotel
Alpers Lodge
Alpers Lodge
#56 of 67 in Auckland
Best Western Ellerslie Ellerslie International

Been to The Devereux Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!