“Extremely helpful and friendly”

The Devereux Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Remuera
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The hotel is under new management who couldn't have been more helpful. We were celebrating my husbands birthday and Helen went out of her way to personally buy the wine I wanted and a selection of chocolates. When we arrived she had upgraded our room and also put in a lovely bunch of flowers.
The rooms are lovely, although the bathroom was a bit on the small side in ours. The larger ones are really lovely. There are a couple of things that are evident from the changeover - picture hooks on the walls but no pictures for instance - and it would be nice to have individual toiletries rather than ones stuck on the wall. Those are best suited to budget hotels not boutique ones.
There is a bit of a language barrier. Helen speaks excellent English but most of the others struggle. However, their kindness makes up for it and we always got by.
There is a bus stop just outside the hotel entrance which is great. We got one to and from the city regularly and one that connects up to the AIRBUS in Symonds St. however, we found a cab was only $40 to the airport so cheaper than a shuttle or 2 x adult bus trips. Parnell or Newmarket are well worth a visit outside the city.
You have to book direct with the hotel by email but well worth the extra effort.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and go for the larger rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times and I really like it, once you get past the somewhat somber entrance with a grey set of flats down the drive way the house itself is charming and the rooms are huge and really good value. The bathrooms are definitely older style but very clean. I have found the staff very friendly and helpful , and it's well situated with nices bars and restaurants within a very short walking distance. Almost doesn't want to give it too good as it might get too popular! it suits me as I cOme to Auckland to attend uni at the Tamaki campus which is easily accessible.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank jennifermargaret
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Stayed in the Bodrum Room - which is a reasonably-sized room with en-suite. Hotel is very clean and well-decorated. There is off-street car parking. The staff were very friendly and quite helpful - like a family hotel. The hotel is away from Remuera Road and so quiet. The walls are old and thin and could hear someone snoring - was he in the next room, or two rooms away!! All in all, very enjoyable and well-priced. Bed was pretty good.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I had noted the disappointing reviews on the Devereux's website and decided to check out for myself as I have often walked past this hotel for many years, but not entered into the grounds. I returned from a 6 month vacation on the Gold Coast New Years eve, and needed to acquire local accommodation close to my teenage daughters school. When I entered the hotel, I was greeted by the most charming chinese family who had difficulty with the english language, but did their best to accommodate my daughter and I in one of their finest rooms - whereby I have comfortably stayed for the past 6 weeks. The hotel is a little "tired" , but clean and cared for and appears to be slowly coming back to life with the many guests who are now staying there. I love the "secret garden" off the conservatory, and the new "kiwi" manager has created some really nice changes around the property and inside the house. We had guests staying from all over the world which was really lovely as there is a home away from home feel which takes away the impersonal stays from the hotel/motel accommodation. Not for this girl thanks! I was sad to finish my stay, but will certainly look forward to returning soon to enjoy all the new facilities that will be available I believe in the very near future. All the best to the Jiang family for being so caring and welcoming, and I wish the delightful new lady host all the best with her new role. (and I can't wait to enjoy one of the "breakfast at Tiffany" morning teas I understand will be available soon. Thanks Devereux from Claudia and Petra.

Room Tip: If you want the cheapest room - ask for the Bodrum - gorgeous little window seat but quite small.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank PetraNZ
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Very basic thought it might be ok for the price but was wrong. Rooms are basic but ok, service was all gone staff could not be bothered with me and I felt like I was in the way.

Won't be back, but will try another hotel in the next few week but not this !!!

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I had to come to Auckland for work last week, and being school holidays everything was so expensive, so stumbled across this place on Wotif. The rooms have a rack rate of $250, so thought it can’t have been too bad. Now I don’t want to give this place a terrible review….. but if you were paying in the two hundreds for this place I would be feeling rather ripped off about now.

Let’s start with the positives – it is in a great location(well for me), central Remuera and close to the motorway. Free car parking, and the rooms are back off the road, so limited road noise.

When I drive up, my immediate reaction was that this place needed some work, the outdoors really needs some attention. When I arrived at reception it was closed, and the mobile numbers at the desk when straight to voicemail, so it took a couple of attempts to get someone.

My room was ok, as I said I would have been very disappointed for $250 as it is certainly not worth that. Room was tiny, with a double bed, small fridge and a small ensuite. The bathroom spelt rather damp.

Bed comfort was ok, but nothing to write home about.

For me the negatives were – room was freezing cold, I had the heater on full the whole time I was in the room (including throughout the night), and it still didn’t seem to get that warm, walls are paper thin, staff although tried to be friendly, English was a second language for the guys who served me, so took a long time to explain what I wanted, lastly although the room was clean (bathroom, sheets etc), it was all the little things like dusting, cobwebs etc that had not been done that bothered me.

Overall I don’t think I would stay here again, just for the fact that the rooms were so cold, and the fact that they would even try and charge $250 for the room.

This place with a little love and time could be awesome, but at the moment it just isn't there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank waikatogirl
Reviewed 26 June 2011

if you want a tidy clean and comfortable hotel then go for it but don't expect the boutique experience

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rustic34
Also consider these accommodations in or near Remuera
Quality Hotel Parnell
Scenic Hotel Auckland
Scenic Hotel Auckland
#21 of 66 in Auckland Central
Novotel Auckland Ellerslie Hotel

Been to The Devereux Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!