Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
US$87
US$84
Villa Buena Onda(Playas del Coco)
US$682
US$410
Travelocity
Hotel La Puerta del Sol(Playas del Coco)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$110
Travelocity
Hotel Savannah(Playas del Coco)
US$62
Hotel Coco Beach & Casino(Playas del Coco)
US$92
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Coco Palms(Playas del Coco)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$116
Travelocity
Marina Loft Apart-Hotel(Playas del Coco)
US$180
Hotel Bosque del Mar Playa Hermosa(Playa Hermosa)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$231
  • Pool
Hotel & Villas Huetares(Playa Hermosa)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$100
Chantel Suites(Playas del Coco)
TripAdvisor
4,330 results
All reviewslobstercosta ricafusion restaurantmonkey barjacuzzi bathzip liningthomson repspecialty restaurantspool barmichael jacksongarden viewnightly showspura vidalunch buffetbeach vendorswater taxipapagayo restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We spent 11 nights at the RIU Palace in Guanacaste. It was fantastic the food was outstanding and the customer service was also outstanding. We need to mention a server that made our stay even more enjoyable. This lady's name is Gina she works in the buffet restaurant. Seek her out she will make helpful suggestions and take the best of care when serving you in the restaurant. Gina Mora was one of our first encounters of a Costa Rican she is an excellent ambassador for Costa Rica and the RIU. Thanks Gina our family will miss seeing you best wishes always :)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Presidential Suite it is a huge room with a king bed we have 2 children so ordered 2 cots which worked our perfect. We had a hot tub on the deck and a wrap around deck. Highly recommend this room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lori F
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I've travelled all over the world and was led to believe this was a top notch resort. I realize other countries don't always do things the way we do in America, but this was just bad. From the moment we checked in, our troubles began. We booked to junior suites (1 for my husband and I and one for our two children who are 22 (girl)and 19(boy). When we got to our rooms (which were next to each other), our children's room only had 1 bed. We specifically had requested 2 beds, as my children Will NOT sleep in the same bed! When I called the desk they really didn't seem to care and stated that they were completely booked. They offered to bring a cot to the room. After I went to the desk and explained that would not work, they finally gave us another room on a different floor. Better, but not super convenient (being that far apart). The food was a big problem all week. I actually lost weight after the week. The 2 restaurants that you needed reservations for had 2 seatings (6:15 and 8:15). Reservations could only be made between 9-2 at a the desk AND you couldn't reserve more than 2 days in advance. Ridiculous! The food there was ok at best. The rest of the food was all buffets. You couldn't order any food at the pool. You could order drinks, but the service was very slow and then drinks weren't good half the time (2 strong or too weak). I guess when you're serving unlimited drinks to mass quantities of people.......The toilet in our room would shoot water at you when you flushed it, so we had to make sure we put the lid down before flushing, so we didn't get DIRTY water splashed on us.

On the positive side, we were there June 29-July 5th, which is rainy season and the weather was beautiful. No rain at all. The excursions were great (jet ski tour, catamaran, zip lining, etc...).

There are so many more things I could tell you about the hotel, but I think you should get the picture. It was terrible and I DON'T recommend it!

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Michy08
Reviewed 11 July 2014

okay....need to try to catch your attention before going to any hotel in the Guanacaste area; I am sure all will be a good time....

need to divert to the EXTREME RIPOFF at the PLAYERS CLUB at the AIRPORT......

go to the trip advisor web site and type in the "players club bar and grill" (or restaurant) and read their reviews before you even step foot on any hotel in the area because if you go to this place when leaving the Beautiful Country of Costa Rica, its people, and the great vacations they provide, you will forever have a sour taste in your mouth......this RIPOFF made me sick to my stomach and if you read other peoples' reviews, unfortunately you will find it appears EVERYBODY gets RIPPED OFF by this SHAMELESS act of greed.....

Room Tip: stay on the garden side for best chance of quiet nights; on the pool side if you like noise and action
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brian e
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the RIU Palace in Guanacaste during the week of July 6. We are a young couple..late 20s. I was worried about booking in July because it's suppose to be their "winter/rainy season" but the weather was mint everyday that we were there. We were lucky because it never rained and it had 90 degree days.
The airport is roughly 30 min from the hotel. Check-in was easy and super quick. Our room was on the 3rd fl and a bit far out but it was fine. The room faced the ocean and pool area.. No need to purchase ocean view. There is a jetted tub in every room which was nice.
Food- we weren't crazy about the al la carte restaurants.. They have either 6:15 or 8:15 reservations available. If I had to pick I would say the Italian and Japanese were good. However, we really enjoyed the buffet. Every night they had a different theme..Mexican, oriental..etc.
Drinks- we tipped the bartender on our first day by the pool and we never waited on line for a drink! Ppl think that just because it's all inclusive you don't have to tip. They appreciate tipping and will remember you and take care of you. TIP!
**The bees by the pool bar are out of control! I didn't get stung but a couple of ppl did**Bring bug spray.
Entertainment-the entertainment crew are very friendly and we enjoyed watching their shows every night after dinner.
Excursions-We did the mega tour which included zip lining, horse back riding, mud bath, and hot springs and we loved it.
-We also rode ATVs for 2 hrs and stopped at the canopy to visit the monkeys. We were able to actually hold them..that was pretty awesome.
-MASSAGES by the beach were AMAZING ..$60 for one hour for both of us and your facing the ocean and listening to the waves! If your looking for "white towel service" they have massages in the hotel spa for $300 and up.
So many ppl complain about the beach...we thought it was fine.. It's a black sand beach but it's clean and just as nice.
We loved the RIU so glad we stayed here and would definitely return!
Almost forgot to mention... FYI they charge $29.00 per person at the airport to leave the country. That was a nice little surprise we got when we were leaving. I had no clue.

• Stayed: July 2014
7  Thank stephanie a
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel is beautiful, we have stayed at several RIU resorts and this was by far the nicest one! Everything from the décor to the pools to the bars and restaurants. The staff are all on their A game. Wasn't very crowded or at least it seemed that way. The buffets were excellent, food delicious and displayed beautifully. The entertainment staff were a blast. The shows well put together. And the fact that you have access to the sister RIU was an added bonus!

Room Tip: I suggest a junior suite with an ocean view. Not much more but plenty of room for a couple
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple