“Gina Mora”

Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sardinal
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Gina met us every morning for breakfast with a smile on her face and quick efficient service at all times, which was especially good because my wife drinks ....heavily, most nights and can a be a bit of a grouch in the am before her first Bloody Mary. (Kidding about the drinking but not Gina.)

Gina was extremely helpful for our larger family who arrived at different times during the course of the morning. She always had our favorite hot beverages ready and was willing to go the extra mile to make our breakfast enjoyable.

By the way, my husband got hold of the iPad while I was writing this review and so take the first paragraph about my drinking with a grain of salt... Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked the mountains and the garden. It was on the second floor on the south...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Deb0204
Write a ReviewReviews (4,125)

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I absolutely loved our vacation here. All inclusive is really the only way to have a vacation! Everything you could ever want is included at this place! Every detail is well thought out even down to the scented toilet paper. All of the buffets and restaurants are beyond delicious. We booked our vacation from Apple Vacations and had a wonderful lady named Yari who helped us book everything. Did the half day zip lining and jet ski guided tour which I highly recommend both! Being guests of the Palace allowed you to access the other Riu property next door that had a nice pool as well. I did notice that there were more children over there compared to the Palace. You must go to the Monkey bar to the left of the beach, they were really nice. You should really come here if you want to have a good time!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gentry696
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Riu Palace Guanacaste 8/3-8/10 for my annual vacation with my best friends. We absolutely loved it. The lobby & the rooms were modern. The grounds were well maintained. The staff was always pleasant. There were occasional issues due to language barriers( ie drink orders etc), but nothing unreasonable. They need a better reservation system for the specialty restaurants, but quite honestly the food in the main buffet is actually pretty decent so even if you don't get a reservation you'd still be fine. The beach was so-so. Our first day on the beach We encountered lots of empty food wrappers, hulled pineapples and a weird spikey dead fish, so this was a little off putting. There was no staff on the beach to set up chairs or anything ( I think you have to do that yourself & it was literally 500 degrees outside so dragging beach chairs in the hot sun was not high on our vacation to-do list). We ended up mostly hanging out at the pool ( they have plenty of them) and then checking out some other local beaches ( tamarindo & coco). All in all i would definitely recommend the riu palace guanacaste!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Kdean208
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Over all great experience at this property. We were 4 families ( 8 adults, 8 kids). All in Ocean View Suites on 3rd floor. Rooms were clean, spacious and full of amenities. Separate shower, double sinks and separate commode made getting ready efficient.
Hotel lobby some what uncomfortable due to lack of AC or AC not working properly.
Hotel staff very helpful including front desk, bar staff and dining area staff.
Food; Our entire group was vegetarian. Choices were some what limited. However no one went to bed hungry ! Chefs bent backwards to help us out. Enough choices of fruits, salads, shakes and Pizza.
I noticed quite a few visitors of Indian Origin; it would be helpful to have some Indian food choices. At least at the dinner time.

Excursions: Hotel is contracted with several independent agents. We used TAM agents wearing United and Delta Shirts. Cindy and Melvin were extremely helpful. Explained excursions to out satisfaction. They were not pushy. Prices were competitive.
I rec; Doing both Zip lining ( Dry and Wet forest). Make sure you have ample rain friendly attire during Rain forest expedition.

At last Costa Ricans are very friendly, tourist loving people. Very safe.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Mukeshmd61
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I read and relied on the Trip Advisor reviews when I chose this resort for a vacation with our college bound sons before they go back to school for the fall. We were forewarned about bees and kids and the food not being perfect everywhere. What I did not read in the reviews is that the resort is unbearably busy and noisy.
There is not even a little peace and quiet anywhere -- not outside, not in the interior of the hotel and most definitely not in your room.
The floors everywhere are tile and the sounds reverberate throughout.
It's party central. People are yelling. There is music blasting. Doors are slamming. We had our door knocked on twice by accident. Plus every time someone yells or drops something or rolls their suitcase or a luggage/housekeeping/room service cart down the hall it is almost like they are doing it in your room. You can hear your neighbors television/music/conversations through the wall.
I talked to the front desk and they were very nice but told me this is what to expect at an all inclusive resort. I offered to pay for upgrades for quiet rooms but they explained there was no such thing.
We are not stick in the muds but we don't have a desire to relive Spring Break 1985, either.
We decided to leave 3 days early and forfeited a hefty chunk of change.

The food is fine. The people are kind and attentive. The dinner reservation system is ridiculous but that's okay (you can't get reservations day 1 or in our case day 1 or day 2 and to ever get reservations you have to report to this disgruntled lady behind a desk at Tokyo restaurant between 9 and 2 every day).
We also had great difficulty with wifi. Unfortunately we needed access for work purposes so that made things difficult, too.
If you want to party hard and you want a frenetic, loud atmosphere this is a fine place to come. If you want to relax and read a book and hang out with your family this is absolutely not the right place.

Stayed: August 2014
7  Thank Mom45
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I would like to start off with how amazing the service an staff was. Daniel Q Julia & Max at the front desk were helpful and friendly at check in an throughout our stay. The room was very nice an spacious with a walk-in shower, jetted tub and a huge balcony. The resort itself was very clean and well maintained. When it came to the food there was a good verity to choose from. If you wanted to eat at the steak house or the Japanese restaurant you had to make reservations the day before. There was always something going on at the pool for activities at noon there was a cookout BBQ daily. At night there were shows that the staff put on that were very entertaining. The beer was a local beer called Imperial at first we didn't care for it but it grew on us. The beach was nice as well with beautiful mountain views. Make sure you check out the Monkey Bar down the beach to the left, cool little place to have a drink an see some monkeys. Our stay was awesome and we met a lot of great people and will be going back...... 7-12-14 thur 7-18-14.

Room Tip: room 3040 great room with a wonderful balcony and amazing veiws
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank johnny762014
Reviewed 10 August 2014

A friend and I met my son, his girlfriend and her family that live in San Jose at the RIU. My friend and I flew into the Liberia, CR Airport and met my son and others at The RIU Hotel. Our stay was from Aug 2 thru Aug 9th. My son and his girlfriend and her family had stayed at The RIU before, but I personally had never stayed at an "All Inclusive" hotel. I was so amazed at this hotel. All 6 of us had Jr Suites and I was impressed at the rooms. The rooms included a free standing Jacuzzi Tub (extra long), liquor bar (never used it) which was also included, stocked frig with assorted sodas, soda water, two 2 liter bottles of water, large screen wall mounted TV (only 3 English Speaking stations). We did the usual breakfast buffet (great), snack at pool area at 12:30 with chicken breast and other assorted things plus Sangria. We visited all of the Speciality Restaurants and saw the shows which were great. If you love good food, drinking and great service, I would highly recommend The RIU at Guanacastle. There are even servers that come to the beach for your drink orders. There is always a guard at the beach even though I didn't see any issues. I waited too long to book a massage at the Spa (we did partake the Jacuzzi), so I booked an independent masseuse, Karina Vellejos Morales that has her table in at the Canopy 5 in trees by the beach. I was quite comfortable and her prices are reasonable $35 for 1 Hr. For more information about Karina contact her at (506)87674096. The RIU is a beautiful hotel, good food, fabulous grounds and a great value The hotel is unbelievably clean and anytime I needed anything it was taken care of. I would truly recommend The RIU in Guanacastle, Costa Rica.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank RitaJ2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sardinal
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica? Share your experiences!