“Good location, but run down. ”

Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We (family of 4) visited this lodge in 2014. We were surprised by the state of our room on arrival, as once inside we started noticing the old carpet, spiderwebs, and broken things. The rooms were well placed, and the pool was great, but it was only downhill from there. This place needs renovations and then would be nice.

The restaurant was old, with average food at huge prices. I understand that it was remote, but it wasn't worth it. A great alternative is the restaurant at the caravan park 200m down the road. It was amazing.

Stayed: July 2014
Daniel L, General Manager at Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear tris1313,

I am disappointed to read that the cleanliness of your room was not up to standard upon your arrival. I will discuss this further with our housekeeping team to ensure the highest standards are maintained.

You have noted that there were "broken things" in your room. I trust that this was bought to the attention of the team and rectified to your satisfaction. If not I would be more than happy to discuss this further with you.

Best regards,

Daniel Lukritz

Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Unhelpful staff - one said he had been too busy to book us a table in restaurant ,restaurant chaos overpriced for standard of room was placed in a disabled access room as we couldn't access our room as the battery had run out in lock mechanism and it couldn't be fixed staff seemed clueless what to do

1  Thank Sue L
Daniel L, General Manager at Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Sue L,

I am sorry to read of the issues you encountered in relation to your door lock. Unfortunately not all staff are trained in the processes required to repair the door locks. We will however look at increasing the skill set of key staff to ensure that they are able to perform some of the basic functions in relation to the door locks.

As we recommend making a dinner reservation during peak meal periods I am disappointed that the staff did not follow through with your request. I will follow this up further with my team.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My wife and 3 kids stayed 3 nights last week. I would agree with much of the commentary above but we did select the venue with expectations appropriately set for an isolated resort like this one.
Its 'central' location makes it ideal for navigating all that Kakadu has to offer.
The rooms are clean and basic. The beds firm and you even get a choice of pillow which is a nice touch. The staff were friendly and obliging and totally out of their depth in the dining room during the dinner setting. Meals are basic, cafeteria standard, with steak and salad the safest and most dependable choice. We discovered the Kakadu Bakery (short stroll) and it is a must for breakfast and lunch selections. An IGA supermarket is also close for dairy/fresh fruit vege. important because the less time in the dining room the better. In summary, fit for purpose.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank themayor101

Dear themayor101,

Great to see that you found the location of the hotel fitting for your needs.

Along with the Steak that you have mentioned which is always a great choice, some of my favourites are the kangaroo and the Linguini with crocodile, prawns and scallops. The menu also offers an NT favourite of Barramundi which is also a very popluar choice.

I trust that you and your family were able to enjoy some of the highlights of the park.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Well what can I say here. Nearly all my reviews are positive! We drove hours to get there through the remote bush and checked in at 2.15pm but kitchen was closed at 2.00 and you cannot even get a sandwich. They said that you need to book for dinner, which we did for 07.00pm. Arriving at 07.00pm there was a long queue. After 20 minutes in the queue it became clear that the matre d, was welcoming guests, taking room service orders and then processing the payments for departing diners.
I have never seen anything like it! So at 7.20. We are advised there are no tables available. "Please go to the bar" where we and many others were totally forgotten. After another 25 minutes wait we complained to the matre d who found us a table. We then watched as at least another 6 couples stranded at the bar angrily complain to the matre d and likewise were found tables. To be honest, it was hilarious...seeing the "cycle of ineptitude" play out before our eyes. But then you remember that this is a famous Australian destination and a mercure hotel and they are embarrassing us.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank worldtravel69

Dear worldtravel69,

I am disappointed to read of your restaurant experience.

I would really like to discuss this further with you. If you could please contact me directly at the hotel on 08 8979 9000 it would be greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I first stayed at the Crocodile Hotel 10 years ago. My memory of the hotel then was quite positive. And while in 2014 the hotel is still fine, it has lost some of its earlier gloss particularly in the rooms, the lobby and the grounds. Everything was clean but I suspect the challenge of keeping mold at bay in the wet season is partly the reason. However, I recall in 2004, that the lobby/entrance was very smart. It looks a bit sterile now. The same applies to the restaurant, which seemed bare and a bit cavernous. Other things like the old aircon system are a dead giveaway of the age of the hotel. The service was very good though, but for the price I would expect that. I was surprised how few guests seemed to be staying at the hotel for the busiest time of year--not a good sign I would have thought. One thing I really did enjoy was the full powered shower, it was great.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms may be a bit more convenient but otherwise, location isn't too much of a prob...

Dear conatus,

Great to see that you returned to Kakadu so many years after your first stay.

I am pleased to advise that works are currently in place to rejuvenate the gardens. We are looking to introduce more native plants into the gardens. Whilst still a long way away we have recently planted some native trees which will in the years to come form part of a proposed garden walk showcasing some of the "bushtucker" from this region.

Thank you for the positive comments on the service you received.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Kakadu.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We recently stayed one night on a 3 week trip of the Kimberley's and Kakadu. We did not have very high expectations as the hotel has had its ups and downs in its 26 year history. Mercure recently took over the management and perhaps this has something to do with the improvements.

Our check-in was super friendly and professional; our room seemed to have been recently refurbished - it was large, bright and clean. There is also a guest laundry which was clean and fully functional (not always the case in remote locations). We used our iPhone as an internet hotspot so did not need the hotel's WiFi - even Optus has reception here - amazing in itself.

We had a late lunch on arrival (unlike many hotels in these remote locations they do serve lunch) - we each had a burger which was delicious - just twice as large as we really needed. Dinner was a bit busy with wait-staff rushing about but we were served with no issues and had a nice meal of grilled barra.

We felt the whole stay (room and meals) was good value for money compared to other places we stayed in Kakadu. Again - my 5-blob rating is not because this is a 5-star hotel - it is not and is not pretending to be but delivers on expectations.

The only room for improvement would be the bar and dining area - just a bit drab with no outdoor seating.

1  Thank luxury-lizard

Dear luxury-lizard,

It is always pleasing to read of positive guest experiences.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We found the hotel a convenient starting point for exploring all the Kakadu points of interest. Touring anywhere in Kakadu will generally involves travelling for up to an hour, but this hotel is a comfortable base from which to start, or to just relax in. The restaurant was of a very good standard and the staff were quite helpful. Mercure have only had this hotel for a few months and from what I heard from staff, there are going to be a few gradual changes made, which should only improve an already good hotel. A good experience overall.

Room Tip: 2nd floor away from the pool was a good room to have. Ground floor away from the pool would also be...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kakadu National Park
Kakadu Lodge and Caravan Park
Hawk Dreaming Wilderness Lodge
Hawk Dreaming Wilderness Lodge
#2 of 5 in Kakadu National Park

Been to Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel? Share your experiences!