“Stunning!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Kings Canyon Guided Rim Walk
Ranked #4 of 112 things to do in Red Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Watarrka National Park, Kings Canyon known for its 100–meter-high sheer cliff walls. There are a variety of walks, the most popular is the Rim Walk which is a 3-4 hour walk with a steep start. Kings Creek Walk is a gentle walk at the base of the Canyon which takes about an hour. Please note that in hot weather where the forecast is to be 36 degrees celsius and above, there are access restrictions to some walks.
Melbourne, Australia
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Stunning!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful. Just as stunning as the rock!

Be warned,.first start of the rim walk is a good 600m climb straight up. It will wind you! After that, it's beautiful easy terrain.

1 Thank J0shwa

268 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 262 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenic spot.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is truly a beautiful place. In hot weather it is best to start early, even as early as 6.30am, especially as if it is too hot the rangers will close the walk. There is a steep climb to reach the summit before continuing on the canyon rim walk. Unfortunately I twisted my foot on The Olgas the previous day and could not do the rim walk with the rest of my tour group. Nevertheless I still struggled to the summit and the view was well worth the effort. Once down the bottom again there is a walk to Kings Creek, which is mainly on an even pathway and also worth doing, as I did whilst the others were doing the rim.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank RonRSydney_Australia
Bendigo
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Awesome place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

The canyon is a miracle of nature, and should be respected . I went up in the helicopter to get a good view of the canyon . It took my breath away. What a beautiful country we have .

Visited May 2014
1 Thank MarimBendigo
Townsville, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best scenary ever seen!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Near to Uluru, it s a fantastic walk at kings canyon!don t hesite to do the big walk, you will have a beautiful view

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Carrie-oz
Boston, Massachusetts
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Must visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

One of the reasons we rented a car when we flew into Uluru was to get to here. If you do get a chance to go, Canyon Rim Walk is a must (There's really only 2-3 walks at King's Canyon). I don't think any of the walks in the Northern Territory (Uluru, The Olgas, King's Canyon) were tough so don't be discouraged by the "warnings". I think the toughest part of the walks/hikes for any of the attraction is the temperature. It takes a beating on your body even when you're not doing anything strenuous except walking straight. My only disappointment when I went on the Rim Walk was the Garden of Eden/Waterhole. I was expecting something wonderful, even brought my swimsuit but when I got there, I couldn't find the Garden of Eden or a swimhole. I saw not so thriving plants and a little pond of green water. Perhaps in December Garden of Eden isn't Eden yet? Otherwise, the walk itself is amazing, you gain elevation quick (could be tiring but doable if you give yourself enough time to break) and then you get to see the amazing vistas and colors of the rocks/canyon.

Some points:
-Rental cars do not cover night time driving. So if you hit an animal (pretty common since they run the road) it's not covered. We drove just before sunrise but were very careful. We had to dodge a few wallabies/kangaroo and cows wandering the roads. (Side note, while driving from The Olgas back to the hotel, a bird almost flew into our car. That would have been disastrous. We swerved to get out of the way).
-In the summer or hot weather above 32degrees (i think) the Rim walk closes after 9am. The drive is pretty far hence we left before sunrise from Uluru.
-there's a gas station along with a "restaurant" before getting to King's Canyon. The next gas station is after King's Canyon but it closes during lunch.
-If you miss or do not want to do the full Rim Walk there is a shorter walk and that closes after 11AM if the weather is too hot.

Visited December 2013