“Great cardio workout and views”
Review of Kings Canyon

US$191.40*
Kings Canyon Day Trip from Ayers Rock
Ranked #5 of 122 things to do in Red Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Watarrka National Park, Kings Canyon known for its 100–meter-high sheer cliff walls. There are a variety of walks, the most popular is the Rim Walk which is a 3-4 hour walk with a steep start. Kings Creek Walk is a gentle walk at the base of the Canyon which takes about an hour. Please note that in hot weather where the forecast is to be 36 degrees celsius and above, there are access restrictions to some walks.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I'm 64 and found myself puffing quite a bit during the first and most demanding part of the walk which is a climb of some 500 rock steps. However jus take your time and a couple of rests and the reward is worth the effort. Some fantastic views and the very picturesque Garden of Eden make the Rim Walk an absolute stunner . Take plenty of water and go early to avoid the heat of the day. At 3.5 hours length the walk is not for everyone but it is well worth the effort and this should be on your Bucket List.

1  Thank David S

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We travelled at the end of May and weather was stunning, cool mornings and warm days :). We are a family of two adults and three children (19 months, 9 and 11). We are not a sporty family but didn't feel the 6km walk to be beyond us, as we were happy to take our time. We carried the 19 month old in a backpack carrier, although I was a bit worried he would get tetchy and want to come out of the carrier part way through the walk, knowing it was unlikely to be a safe environment to do so! The initial climb to the rim was hard but not impossible by any means, we needed to stop for breath a couple of times, but that was no problem as there were places to do so and it wasn't too busy with other walkers to cause a problem. From then on there were a few short ups and downs, but a lot of flat sections. We didn't do the extra 600m along the Garden of Eden which I regret but was worried my toddler would expire at any minute, so make sure you do so! I kept feeding the children with healthy snacks and chatted constantly to keep them moving. I am so glad we did the walk, I think it is the only way to truly see the Canyon in all it's magnificence. I think it accessible to more people than I imagined and would do it over again with the whole family without hesitation. The walk took us two hours and forty minutes without inclusion of the Garden of Eden Walk (however we viewed it from the boardwalk). Enjoy your trip!

3  Thank Elzbeth
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful. Just as stunning as the rock!

Be warned,.first start of the rim walk is a good 600m climb straight up. It will wind you! After that, it's beautiful easy terrain.

1  Thank J0shwa
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is truly a beautiful place. In hot weather it is best to start early, even as early as 6.30am, especially as if it is too hot the rangers will close the walk. There is a steep climb to reach the summit before continuing on the canyon rim walk. Unfortunately I twisted my foot on The Olgas the previous day and could not do the rim walk with the rest of my tour group. Nevertheless I still struggled to the summit and the view was well worth the effort. Once down the bottom again there is a walk to Kings Creek, which is mainly on an even pathway and also worth doing, as I did whilst the others were doing the rim.

2  Thank RonRSydney_Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The canyon is a miracle of nature, and should be respected . I went up in the helicopter to get a good view of the canyon . It took my breath away. What a beautiful country we have .

1  Thank MarimBendigo