“Oasis in the Desert”
Review of Barkly Homestead

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tennant Creek
Barkly Homestead
Tamworth, Australia
“Oasis in the Desert”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in a Motel room. Wow! This was one of the best motel rooms we stayed in during our trip from Tamworth. Very clean, large and well equipped. Air was on when we arrived which was a great touch by the staff. Price is reasonable as everything is run on diesel generators (500 litres per day). It was also a lot cheaper and nicer than the dog box I stayed in at Mt Isa. Pub there as well for a feed and a cold one.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rashtus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Nowra, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had a lovely camp spot at the Barkly Homestead, sat in the sun outside our campervan enjoying a lovely sunset. had a fantastic hot shower, thanks for good water pressure !! followed by a great meal in the bar with live music. Really enjoyed our stay while we travelled from Cairns to Darwin last month.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KarenJackAndyG
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and I travel extensively by motor home throughout Australia and we stayed here in 2011 and liked the place so much that we know we would be back. The place has not changed at all in 3 years and from our point of view that is a good thing. The staff were and are very friendly and accommodating and allow you to chose your spot. We actually stayed in exactly the same position that we did 3 years ago and were again able to enjoy a very relaxing 2 days stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew G
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. It's nice to hear from another return customer.
We have made many changes in the past few years. We continue to expand our gardens and many renovations have taken place such as the addition of our beer garden and upgrades to our bar and grill. Our shower blocks have been renovated and there is an ever-growing list of products and services that we provide.
Thanks again and I hope you return so you can take advantage of our current and future list of improvements that will ensure your time here is even more enjoyable.
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Van sites are good drive through plenty of room amenities ok. Food was cold drinks were ok. There was no water in morning so toilets were all blocked up had to wait for shower. Trucks and buses leaving wake you up early not enough staff on in morning to server breakfast had to wait log time just to get coffee. Given the cost and service think I will stay in free spot down road in future.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank markcook58
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologise for running out of water. This is due to a temporary issue we are having with our water treatment infrastructure and we are in the process of rectifying this. In any case, when there is an interruption to our water supply there is a delay of no more than a few minutes.
In consideration to your other complaints - trucks and buses are synonymous with caravan parks, and not everyone travels according to your schedule. Perhaps next time you share your caravan park with others you could request they keep their engine noise to a minimum when leaving the next day.
I'm sorry you found the service to be below your expectations. The mornings can be very busy at times, and the five staff we have tending to our commercial kitchen, three cash registers, a fuel console and an espresso coffee machine to make your morning coffee are working as hard as they can to please you.
Once again, I appreciate your feedback, but I would suggest you be a little more patient and try to enjoy your travels.
Adelaide Hills, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Barkly Homestead was neat and welcoming to the eye with galahs chorusing in the trees.
The staff were friendly and the food fine.
The motel room looked clean and tidy.
I was awoken by what, I think, would have been possums, running up an down on the verandah roof which continued intermittently for several hours. Three helicopters separately passed over at intermittent periods.
0100 hours I was unable to go back to sleep, the noise had ceased but something had bitten me and I could not find a mosquito. I got dressed and sat in the chair until 0330 hours and left.
I had booked in and paid for two nights as I was planning on having a rest before the next part of my trip but as I sleep was poor I could not stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Megsroadtrip
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you had a poor nights sleep and that you were bitten by something. This happens in the outback unfortunately and is out of our control. I am unsure what 3 helicopters would be doing flying during the night, this was possibly road trains passing by on the highway? Due to 2 years of severe conditions out here we have noticed a big increase in animals such as feral cats attempting to make a home here where food and water is more readily available. This is a major problem in outback Australia and a concern for everyone including our business. We are doing our best to get rid of the feral cats which I presume would have been what woke you up on the roof. For other trip advisor readers please take into consideration that we are in the middle of the outback when reading these reviews. Bugs, noisy road trains, helicopters and planes, extreme heat, lack of water and generated power and many other things we take for granted are a part of life here.
Cooma, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have travelled from Sothern NSW to Darwin twice for work.
The first trip to Darwin, I was told by a friend to make sure you plan your trip to stay at Barkly, I am glad I took this advice.
I have stayed at Barkly four times now and highly recommend it to all travellers. I have stayed in a cabin twice and camped twice. The Cabins were very clean and comfortable, but nothing could beat camping in my tent under the stars, what an awesome place,
I enjoyed the food the bistro had on offer
All amenities were clean and within a short walk to the camping area
After a long day on the road the pool was appreciated.
I found all the staff very friendly and helpful
you get good value for money considering the remote location,
Barkly will always be on my stopover list if I travel in this area again, .

I found the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank falc0ntravel
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for your review and for recommending us as a good stop over. I am pleased you found everything to be of a high standard. We appreciate the return business and look forward to the next time you stay with us.
Brisbane
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We visited Barkly Homestead this week, and were pleasantly surprised! The room slept 4, and it was clean. No smoky smell....
Dinner at the roadhouse was delicious!! Breakfast was delicious too. There are also great books to buy!!
The only sad thing was that the merlo coffee beans hadn't arrived as yet!!!!!

Stayed July 2014
Andrew M, Manager at Barkly Homestead, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thanks for your kind review. We apologise for the coffee beans having run out. We had a problem with delivery and the merlot coffee is very popular so unfortunately the date you stayed was very bad timing. We look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tennant Creek
#3 of 5 in Tennant Creek
Renner Springs Desert Inn
Renner Springs Desert Inn
#3 of 3 in Tennant Creek

Been to Barkly Homestead? Share your experiences!