“dirty! avoid!”

Tourist's Rest
Bedum, The Netherlands
“dirty! avoid!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

we did not expect much for 60 dollars and a place in the middle of the outback, but what we got was very disapointing.
kitchen was smelly and dirty, bathrooms were very dirty, like they had not been cleaned in months, holes in the bedroom walls, dirty sheets, owner told us that leaving the aircon on at night was too cold for us....he just turned off the aircon at night from outside the room
spend some more dollars and go somewhere else, i have stayed in dirty places in India for example, but this was the dirtiest place i have ever stayed in. AVOID!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tjarco1045093

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We can look back now and laugh about our week at Tourist's rest... but at the time it wasn't quite so funny. We were unlucky enough to brake down about 200km out of Tennant and need to be towed. We were essentially stuck in a town that offers a BIG culture shock to even the most seasoned of travellers. We were told that our van was a mystery and we could be here for a while so we set about looking for accom. Tourist's rest was the first place we went. We walked up to the desk, looked at each other and left laughing, saying NO WAY!! After going to every other hotel/campsite in town and finding they were full, we went back with our tails between our legs and introduced ourselves to Tony. He offered us a private room with 2 single beds for $80p/n.
Ok, the grounds are full of tony's belongings and scooters, unhealthy looking birds in cages and extreeeemely dated, dirty buildings... also, it kind of smelled like cat food. Our room had a crack in the wall, but generally, we felt safe and secure (which can be a challenge in this town.)
We ended up staying for a week, and cleaning for our board. We met some characters who's stories continue on long after our trip was over. We received kindness and selfless offers of temporary vehicles and work, even a free lift to Perth. We took advantage of the extensive collection of movies in the common room... and when our van was finally fixed we were ELATED. As I said, we look back now with such fondness and humour. It is certainly an experience at Tourist's Rest.

Room Tip: There really is nothing that will help, haha.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank emjaym86
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I wasn't looking forward to staying here after some of the reviews I had read but it turned out to be a great stay. The room was clean and tidy with a comfortable bed, the kitchen was fine and the bathrooms relatively clean. Tony, the manager , is a great host and not only picked me up at 3am from the bus but took me to meet the train at 10pm at night as the station is actually about 6km out of town (be aware of this if you happen to be doing what I did and come from Mt Isa to meet the train. Great Southern rail didn't tell me this and there are no taxis or public transport in Tennant Creek.
So a pleasant surprise and I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KiwiB2013
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We ended up staying at Travellers Rest out of desperation, because our car has broken down in Tennant Creek. I'll admit that it didn't make a great first impression - my first thought was that it had been a lovely little place some 30 years ago and hadn't changed since. However, it grew on us over the week we stayed there to the extent that we stopped off in our way back up from Alice Springs just to say hi to Tony. The furnishings in the rooms are spartan and occasionally threadbare but clean, and the charmingly retro-kitsch kitchen/living room has just benefitted from a thorough spring clean. The kitchen is well stocked and has actual functioning ovens, quite a rarity for a hostel. A wide selection of movies on USB is available on the TV in the living room, and guests have free use of the BBQ and an outdoor jacuzzi over by the camping area. The ever-helpful Tony is a star: he's a wonderfully laid-back and friendly host and in spite of his age and limited mobility, he cheerfully drives down to the bus station at 3am to drop off and pick up guests. All in all, I'd recommend the place as a glimpse into the past with essential mod cons.

• Stayed March 2013
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We spent there one night and that was definitely enough. Although there was nothing terrible and you might find everything what you need, it was not very nice. Compared with many other hostel we had in Australia/New Zealand it was one of the worst and also overpriced. In our opinion, Tennant Creek generelly was not nice looking, therefore this hostel perfectly fits into the scheme of this old town which looks like the best times are already past. Hostel facilities were ok, staff was very special (as the two guys of the hostel looked a bit of drunken at 6 pm, speaking that bad English that I hardly understood, driving "old-people-scooter" instead of walking the 10 metres between their "office" and our room. So it is ok to stay there if you don't find other options but we would not recommend to stay longer than one night.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bresl
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2013

At $53 for the night with my partner, we didn't expect too much. That was a good thing because it really is simple accommodation. The owner was friendly and gave us keys to "the penthouse" which consisted of 2 single beds, a fan and a smelly (but working) fridge. Unfortunately I didn't have much water left and the vending machine was busted. It was a hot night and I became very dehydrated, despite the fan. Next time, I'd spend the extra $50 and go somewhere with aircon. I wouldn't really recommend this place unless you're happy to rough it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Townsville, australia
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I drove in to have a look at this place, and couldnt get out any quicker. Ive stayed in a lot of cheap backpackers and hotels around the world, and it takes a lot for me to actually leave a place when i thought i would be staying there - but this was it. It is basically a junk yard outside with crap EVERYWHERE! It actually gave me a bad impression of Tennant Creek.
I did look at a dorm room, and the carpet/rug looked like it had not of been cleaned in years. It was visibly dirty with pieces of small rubbish on it. I cant understand how the cleaner could not have cleaned it.
I left straight away, based on the inside floors and the outside, i didnt want to spend a night in the bed!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo