“Book elsewhere”
Review of Granby Hotel

Granby Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Northfleet
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This is not a hotel , it's a dirty halfway house and also used by sleazy men working away from home and on hookers. Never again as it's dirty and run down on a main road. The kitchen is old run down and frankly filthy and everything cooked from frozen.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Aparent77

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I am becoming convinced that the only rooms that are offered on "Late Rooms.Com" are those rooms that the hotels have had problems with in the past. In my case, the room was directly below the dining room, and a wooden dance floor. You can imagine trying to sleep when the night staff are laying tables for breakfast in hobnail boots at 1.30 in the morning. I had to get dressed and go upstairs to complain, and the poor lad didn't even realise that he was causing a problem. Doh!
This hotel is not cheap, and it definitely ain't cheerful. The one positive was the food, which was very good value for money, and tasty. As to the hotel, the outdated decor, and multi-coated paintwork, would make this a good candidate for a 70's museum piece. I've stayed in better Youth Hostels, and at a quarter of the price!
The clientele are chiefly construction workers, so the place comes across as a bit rough and ready. If you are a bloke on your own on, and on business, this place is just about acceptable. I would certainly not take my friends and family.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony S
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Visited the Granby for two nights. From the moment we stepped through the door we were treated with kindness and courtesy. Nothing was too much trouble. We were shown by the manager to the annex. When we arrived there he looked at my partner and said there were too many stairs to climb to the room we were booked into so if we waited he would find us a lower room. We were shown into an immaculately clean room. Apologies were made that major refurbishment work was being carried out to the hotel so some disruption may occur. We never noticed it. Breakfast next morning was a delight, a beautifully decorated and furnished dining room with a cooked breakfast probably the best I have tasted in a hotel. Evening meals were the same, an excellent choice of quality food. My partner arranged a 70th birthday for me at very short notice for the following night. The amazing staff performed miracles and even produced a beautiful birthday cake. An excellent hotel with staff who always go the extra mile. I shall certainly be staying there again on my next visit to Kent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked 1 night in a hotel down the road through bookings.com unfortunately they had over booked so arranged a room here. My initial thoughts were of terror as had read the terrible reports while searching for a hotel. As I was working near by and it was just one night I thought I'd risk it.
I must say I was very pleasantly surprised! The room I was in had been refurbished to a good standard, the service was excellent with the manger going out of her way to assist. I had a breakfast in the morning and didn't need to eat all day! The area isn't pretty and I wouldn't be rushing back for a romantic weekend but it's very good value and clean should you be working in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Travelling with my daughter we booked via Lastminute.com as we acquired tickets late in the week for an event at Brands Hatch the following day.
Arrived at hotel at 9pm and after much furious clicking on a mouse the receptionist, who was actually quite nice and apologetic, told us that that the lad who was on the desk earlier in the day didn't understand the booking system and a room had not been allocated.
She offered us a discount and apologised for the mix up and showed us to our room.....in the basement.......below car park level...with rattling steel windows.....horrific traffic noise....and fumes.....radiator so hot you would end up in A&E if you grabbed it for more than a second.....(even though it was a very warm night and no sensible person would have had the heating on to start with!)
Room generally was very grubby.
Daughter suffers from sinus problems so the only thing this room could guarantee is that she would wake up with a banging headache the following morning if we stayed there.
Got on the LateRooms iphone app, demanded a refund and bailed out to Ramada Encore at Chatham ......

Room Tip: Rooms in alternative hotels are probably better!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KevH1957
GranbyHotel_12, Guest Relations Manager at Granby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

We are sorry that your visit to The Granby did not meet with your expectations. We are currently undergoing major renovations to the main hotel building as part of an on-going programme to improve our standards. Wherever possible, depending on availability you can speak to hotel staff who would allocate your booking to an alternative room. In respect of you booking in experience we will address the matter with refresher training for all our staff members.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This room was booked for two nights for my boyfriend and I. On arrival nobody was at the the reception to greet us or to get us checked in, after about 10 minutes the receptionist finally arrived and apologised for being absent and then continued to explain he was put on the receptionist last minute and had no idea how to use the booking system and was new to the job. He couldn't find our booking which meant I had to rewrite all my details when all I wanted was a fuss free check-in. We were showed to a room which can only be described as somewhere for a member of staff to stay in when doing split shifts. The bedroom carpet was filthy, the bathroom could barely fit one person in, was unclean that neither my boyfriend or I used in the end. There was a banner under our window outside which flapped non-stop during the night. The morning after we went down to the reception area where two members of staff bluntly asked us (without greeting): "Did you pay for your room?" We replied with our explaination of our experience and they told us to get some breakfast and then we'll talk about it. To top off our terrible experience we went to help ourselves to the cereal option and found hardly any milk (which turned out warm) or juice left and rubbish on the tables, we then waited 20 minutes before being asked if we wanted a cooked breakfast, we didn't want to stay in this place any longer as we had had enough. We packed our bags and didn't stay the extra night we booked for. Our experience here wasn't even worth £10 let alone the £60 per night they were asking for. The staff need to get their act together and improve their manners if they want to run a B&B. The polite man on the reception who helped us sort our booking mess out was the only positive experience in my stay. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
GranbyHotel_12, Guest Relations Manager at Granby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

We believe this booking was made 3 months ago and staff changes were taking place at the time. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Refurbishment is currently being carried out in the hotel.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Granby on Saturday 7th Decemeber. The staff who greeted us a the main reception were very polite, warm and welcoming. The room was warm, clean and the decor was tasteful and simple. The bed was soft as were the towels and the bedding and the room were clean. The shower also had excellent pressure. I would recommend putting a shelf in the bathroom to unpack toiletries as I had to crowd them around the sink. There was a mirror in the bathroom and on the wall of the room, also tea, coffee and hot chocolate and a TV. We went to breakfast and had the full English, minus the meat and had the biggest hash browns I've ever seen. We were provided with ample filter coffee (cafetiere), toast, juice and cereal. The gentleman who served us was so accommodating, I honestly don't think he could have done more for us. £63 for the room including breakfast, I can't fault it and will happily stay at the Granby again - I've stayed in higher rated hotels and not had the same level of service so can't fault it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emma B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfleet
Best Western Manor Hotel
Oakwood House Hotel
Oakwood House Hotel
#12 of 17 in Maidstone
Premier Inn Gravesend Central Hotel

Been to Granby Hotel? Share your experiences!