“Overpriced and disappointing”

Southern Explorer 4WD Scenic Tours - Private Day Tours
Ranked #11 of 19 things to do in Arrowtown
More attraction details
Owner description: Southern Explorer is locally-owned business, focusing on quality, service and flexibility. Join our experienced local guides on 4WD scenic half day tour, guided walk, or overnight camping adventure into the high country areas of Skippers Canyon, Macetown, Arrowtown or Glenorchy. Travel along roads carved by hand from the steep canyon walls, drive into remote valleys through narrow gorges and view beautiful lakes to discover the history of these once bustling gold rush regions of old. Discover the history, explore the heritage and be amazed by the breath taking scenery. Visit our website for details and how to book on our specific day tours.
Reviewed 23 February 2013

On the recommendation of Tourist Information Centre went on the Glenorchy Wilderness Tour. Of all the tours we did in NZ (which were many and varied) this was by far the most expensive. Content was not particularly exciting, could have done most of it in the car. Very disappointing and extemely poor value for money.

1  Thank David P
A M, Owner at Southern Explorer 4WD Scenic Tours - Private Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Thanks David for your review. Its great to get your feed back. I have started a process to review this tour, its contents and commentary, and to ensure tourist information offices are representing this product correctly.

The Glenorchy Wilderness Tour offers options to do a wilderness walk (average fitness required) or view Lord of the Rings Filming locations. From our discussions in the vehicle it was apparent that neither of these activities was of high interest to either of you. Unless clients are interested in spectacular mountain and lake views, hiking in a 400 year old native forest or visiting Lord of the Rings and Hobbit film locations, I feel they will not get the most from this tour.

It is important all clients are informed about the product they are booking, and have an interest in its contents. I would also advise choosing products within your budget.

After chatting with you during your tour I believe both of you would have enjoyed our Skippers Canyon Explored tour more. Had you booked direct, you would have talked with me, the business owner and driver and I would have been able to ensure you where doing the right tour for you.

Thank you for your comment on price. I have already started to survey clients on our prices relevant to the services we offer. We are among the cheapest of the tours that go to Glenorchy. $320 for a 4 ½ hour private tour for two people, covering over 150 kilometres I thought is fairly reasonable. Had you driven yourself, you would have missed out on 15 years of local knowledge, dedicated commentary and ensuring you where taken to the best spots given the weather on any particular day or time of year. You seemed to at least enjoy the freshly cooked pikelets in the wilderness of Mt Aspiring National Park!

Mr and Mrs Parksen, thank you again for your comments, please help us improve this product by contacting us directly with any further suggestions or ideas how we can exceed our clients expectations every time.

Kind regards

Adin May.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

We went on the Skippers Canyon 4x4 with Adin and had a fantastic time! Adin is very knowledgeable about the history, nature, and features of the canyon and gives a very thorough tour. He made sure to take pictures of us and would stop the land rover on demand so I could take more pictures. The scenery is unbelievable and there is no better way to go into the canyon. Highly recommended!

A M, Owner at Southern Explorer 4WD Scenic Tours - Private Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thanks Holly, you are awesome. The photos are great!. When you coming back to do Glenorchy? all the best, Adin

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Great off-road adventure with a fun guide (great jokes!). We had a lovely trip up into Skippers Canyon on a great weather day - lots of information on the gold mining history with stories from a local that seemed to know the place inside out. Tasty home made pikelets were a nice surprise too.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Wow, what a great find!!!

The Ford of Bruinen was one of my favourite scenes in the LOTR trilogy. Who could forget beautiful Arwen as she carried the dying Frodo on horseback, narrowly escaping the Black Riders by conjuring up a flood in the river. Although I have read that the filming location can be visited (not necessary to join a tour), I was not sure we want to attempt wading several metres upstream, in unfamiliar territory, with two young kids in tow. So I was on a quest to find the best tour operator for Arrowtown and surrounds.

At $65 per person, Adin's 2-hour Arrowtown Discovery Tour was great value for money. The tour was fun, fun and even more fun. We were thrilled by 4WD river crossings and tried our luck at gold panning in pristine clear waters in a "secret" location that was more postcard-pretty than the Ford of Bruinein film location. A natural playground for the kids! Adin was a wealth of information as we drove around quaint little Arrowtown. Then he surprised us by bringing us to the Arrowtown Goal, before ending the tour at a place with spectacular views over the Wakatipu basin. We were wowed from beginning to end.

I would consider the Arrowtown tour a MUST if you have young kids like me. The tour is a good balance of amazing scenery and hands-on activities. Adin is a fabulous guide, and remarkably entertaining.

Very highly recommended.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

My husband and I did this amazing tour with Adin the last week of October 2012 on our first trip to New Zealand. We loved the scenery, the river crossings, and learning the history of Macetown and the area. And, the tea, coffee and fresh baked pikelets were an added treat! We also really liked that this is a small group (just three of us that morning) and intimate tour. Thanks Adin, for your passion, humor, and especially for the DVD that lets us relieve the amazing morning!