“Back again!!”

Ranked #2 of 12 Arrowtown B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Back again!!”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Having visited Arrowtown on a regular basis for the past several years my preference was to take my wife and family to Millbrook Resort . I was initially invited to stay at the Arrow Hotel for a business trip and was really impressed with the Hotel ,location and the hospitality .
The Arrow is now my preferred accommodation with my family or visiting on business .
The main attraction besides the very well appointed suites is the casual and personalised attention that Tim provides . Having a smaller number of hotel suites is also appealing to me as it often seems that we are the only family staying in this private boutique hotel .
Also love the architecture !!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed 24 November 2013

To be honest, when originally planning my NZ itinerary, I ended up picking Arrowtown as merely a stopping off point due to its convenience in relation to where I was coming from, where I was heading to, and the sights available in the local area only a short drive away.

Had a lovely, generously sized room, complete with well appointed bathroom. All very comfortable (although I would say the pillows on the bed are a bit hard and dense for my liking... but pillows always are a very personal thing !).

The hidden cupboard breakfast is an interesting concept, but it worked wonderfully well for me due to timezone differences... I got up, got dressed, had breakfast, got straight into a couple of hours solid work and then ventured out into the world outside.

Highly recommend the Fork & Tap pub which serves lovely meals. Never got to try Tim's second recommendation of the Blue Door, which would have been on the cards for the second night because.....

During the post-arrival drinks chat with Tim, I was moaning about the 4WD I'd hired for South Island, not about the car itself but rather the fact that despite many attempts on my part, the tracks I had marked up on my map were either closed due to maintenance works, closed due to previous bad weather damage or it was simply raining where I was and so venturing out on a track not without a convoy would have not been a wise idea. So it was looking like the 4WD would be confined to tarmac for what was left of my time on South Island and it would be handed back to the rental company without a trace of dust on it and me feeling like I should have hired something more comfortable and appropriate for lots of long journeys on tarmac like a BMW !

Anyhow, I digress, down to the point at heart.... as I was leaving the Spoon & Tap, a text message arrived on my phone from Tim saying they were heading down for a BBQ on the river with some friends the following night and inviting me to join.

This was already above and beyond the hospitality you'd expect at any hotel, and indeed did leave me in a post-acceptance quandary for about half an hour about whether I'm meant to bring anything as a gift for the hosts in such unusual circumstances.... in the end because I couldn't think of anything (since giving a bottle of wine to a kiwi would be like giving a copy of the bible to the pope, and I was not in close proximity to a quality chocolate shop) I decided to just bring myself.

Got back to the hotel that evening, Tim asked I'd like to use my car and them putting some BBQ stuff in the back. Given I'd decided on bringing no gift I reckoned the least I could do would be to act as chauffer and BBQ carriage for the evening.

End result being a chance to get the 4WD both wet and dusty on a route that is very much a convoy not solo route.

But perhaps more importantly than my trusty 4WD being able to finally be put to good use, a delicious BBQ (meat cooked perfectly medium rare by Tim, and salads made up from elements grown by the friends). Very pleasant company and a nice fire to sit by, in the lovely isolation of the valley. Mosquitos were initially a pain, but a second heavier application of repellant seemed to resolve that.

A wonderful end to the few weeks I've spent in New Zealand. Even without the BBQ and just as the plain B&B, I think I would have been more than happy to still give this hotel the full 5 points... especially when you consider Tim has absolutely no background in the hospitality industry whatsoever (he comes from a senior job at a large IT industry manufacturer). He's done a great job with the hotel itself and I hope it rewards him with much custom from travellers for years to come!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 21 November 2013

What a great set-up Tim has achieved at The Arrow! The accommodation is superb, from the roomy bathroom to the underfloor heating, handy kitchenette and the open living area, everything was first class.
The icing on the cake is Tim's hospitality which comes with a nice blend of pre-dinner drinks, breakfast in bed and story sharing about the town and district. We highly recommend The Arrow Private Hotel to anyone looking for a getaway just a short stroll from the delightful ambience of Arrowtown.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Quality accommodation in delightful Arrowtown. Modern and well designed, our unit had a double shower, a bath, underfloor heating, a big bed and a lovely view over the tree-clad hills. Only a short walk along the creekbank to the village. Add a great breakfast delivered to the room and you've got a winner. Tim, the charming owner, couldn't have been more helpful, recommending restaurants and wineries. If your looking for the adult pleasures of peaceful surroundings,quality accommodation and a receptive host this is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Tim has created a wonderful concept. Every room has BIG views; each is modern, well-equipped, thoughtfully-designed and comfortable in all weathers. We are an exacting pair, but we found every detail was just so. The bathroom is a triumph (two sinks - bliss) and the underfloor heating a real pleasure. Armed with a torch, we walked to and fro through the woods and the Chinese miners camp to the restaurants and shops a few minutes' stroll away. Tim would have delivered and collected us if it had been raining (or in any case if we had asked). Breakfast was delicious and ample, served uniquely via a clever delivery hatch. We'd recommend The Arrow to anyone with a discerning taste; and it's most certainly on our list for a return visit some day. Tim is a gracious and friendly host who evidently enjoys what he does; and he does it commendably well.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view. Check the website for differences in layout and accommodation between e...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, NSW
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The Arrow Private Hotel is the perfect location for a wonderful, restful hotel. A stroll along the river or along pretty tree-lined streets into town or stay in your luxurious room with a view of the mountains nearby.
Tim was the perfect host and I enjoyed the welcome drinks the first night. Excellent facilities and room service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Ponsonby, Auckland
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Back again and loved it in the different season just as much.
We had four days in a lovely big space; two rooms with adjoining staircase and a girl cave for the grandchildren. Comfortable, beautiful inside and the views outside. We walked into Arrowtown through the Chinese miners camp every day. There are lots of walks in and around Arrowtown and a spa at Milbrook where I had a glorious afternoon while the rest of the family biked to the buggy jumping bridge.
When we arrived and had the welcome drinks we had the most divine gingerbread with blue cheese on it. It is a lovely place to stay and no doubt we will be back.

Room Tip: I am sure they are all lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrowtown
Arrowtown House Boutique Hotel
Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Hotel St Moritz Queenstown - MGallery Collection
Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel
The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments
Nugget Point Queenstown Hotel
Nugget Point Queenstown Hotel
#26 of 58 in Queenstown

Been to The Arrow Private Hotel? Share your experiences!