“Simply wonderful”

The Arrow Private Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Arrowtown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We originally planned to stay for two nights, but our experience was so good we ended coming back for two nights more.

Tim was a friendly, charming host intent on making our stay as delightful as possible. It was the little things that made it a cut above - the umbrella by the door when it started to rain; breakfast as we wanted it, when we wanted it; and pleasant conversation over pre-dinner drinks. The rooms are quiet, modern, stylish and comfortable, with uninterrupted views to the trees and hills backing Arrowtown.

The hotel is located a short walk from the centre of quaint yet sophisticated Arrowtown. We usually took the route through the scenic, tree-lined walkway alongside a babbling stream - the perfect start and end to our evenings. We have to add that the meal we ate at La Rumba restaurant was among the best we have had, but everywhere we ate was good.

There is no better way to enjoy the best that central Otago has to offer.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
theming, Owner at The Arrow Private Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

It was fabulous to have you stay and many years since we last met up in Auckland. We are very fortunate to have so many great restaurants, cafes and bars just over five minutes walk from the Hotel.
Hope to see you down here again sometime soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This was our second trip to the South Island and my wife and I were thrilled with our stay here. Tim took excellent care of us and everything we wanted was available and quickly provided. Met some wonderful and interesting people while we were there. Beautiful views from the room, which was also great and breakfast brought to our room each morning was perfect. We tried to stay longer but they were fully booked. No surprise.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Tim and his daughter checked us in. lovely people, lovely location and lovely rooms. close to town (pleasant walking trail alongside stream through woodlands - watch out for cyclist - silent killers!) so we didn't need the car at all.

bath tub gorgeous. bed super comfy. wee kitchenette would be useful if travelling with younger kids (Tim was happy to put a single bed in our room for our daughter).

there is no restaurant here, but the guys provide breakfast through a 'secret cupboard'. all very easy, relaxed, fresh and bright.

we will certainly return.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Having visited Arrowtown on a regular basis for the past several years my preference was to take my wife and family to Millbrook Resort . I was initially invited to stay at the Arrow Hotel for a business trip and was really impressed with the Hotel ,location and the hospitality .
The Arrow is now my preferred accommodation with my family or visiting on business .
The main attraction besides the very well appointed suites is the casual and personalised attention that Tim provides . Having a smaller number of hotel suites is also appealing to me as it often seems that we are the only family staying in this private boutique hotel .
Also love the architecture !!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

To be honest, when originally planning my NZ itinerary, I ended up picking Arrowtown as merely a stopping off point due to its convenience in relation to where I was coming from, where I was heading to, and the sights available in the local area only a short drive away.

Had a lovely, generously sized room, complete with well appointed bathroom. All very comfortable (although I would say the pillows on the bed are a bit hard and dense for my liking... but pillows always are a very personal thing !).

The hidden cupboard breakfast is an interesting concept, but it worked wonderfully well for me due to timezone differences... I got up, got dressed, had breakfast, got straight into a couple of hours solid work and then ventured out into the world outside.

Highly recommend the Fork & Tap pub which serves lovely meals. Never got to try Tim's second recommendation of the Blue Door, which would have been on the cards for the second night because.....

During the post-arrival drinks chat with Tim, I was moaning about the 4WD I'd hired for South Island, not about the car itself but rather the fact that despite many attempts on my part, the tracks I had marked up on my map were either closed due to maintenance works, closed due to previous bad weather damage or it was simply raining where I was and so venturing out on a track not without a convoy would have not been a wise idea. So it was looking like the 4WD would be confined to tarmac for what was left of my time on South Island and it would be handed back to the rental company without a trace of dust on it and me feeling like I should have hired something more comfortable and appropriate for lots of long journeys on tarmac like a BMW !

Anyhow, I digress, down to the point at heart.... as I was leaving the Spoon & Tap, a text message arrived on my phone from Tim saying they were heading down for a BBQ on the river with some friends the following night and inviting me to join.

This was already above and beyond the hospitality you'd expect at any hotel, and indeed did leave me in a post-acceptance quandary for about half an hour about whether I'm meant to bring anything as a gift for the hosts in such unusual circumstances.... in the end because I couldn't think of anything (since giving a bottle of wine to a kiwi would be like giving a copy of the bible to the pope, and I was not in close proximity to a quality chocolate shop) I decided to just bring myself.

Got back to the hotel that evening, Tim asked I'd like to use my car and them putting some BBQ stuff in the back. Given I'd decided on bringing no gift I reckoned the least I could do would be to act as chauffer and BBQ carriage for the evening.

End result being a chance to get the 4WD both wet and dusty on a route that is very much a convoy not solo route.

But perhaps more importantly than my trusty 4WD being able to finally be put to good use, a delicious BBQ (meat cooked perfectly medium rare by Tim, and salads made up from elements grown by the friends). Very pleasant company and a nice fire to sit by, in the lovely isolation of the valley. Mosquitos were initially a pain, but a second heavier application of repellant seemed to resolve that.

A wonderful end to the few weeks I've spent in New Zealand. Even without the BBQ and just as the plain B&B, I think I would have been more than happy to still give this hotel the full 5 points... especially when you consider Tim has absolutely no background in the hospitality industry whatsoever (he comes from a senior job at a large IT industry manufacturer). He's done a great job with the hotel itself and I hope it rewards him with much custom from travellers for years to come!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2013

What a great set-up Tim has achieved at The Arrow! The accommodation is superb, from the roomy bathroom to the underfloor heating, handy kitchenette and the open living area, everything was first class.
The icing on the cake is Tim's hospitality which comes with a nice blend of pre-dinner drinks, breakfast in bed and story sharing about the town and district. We highly recommend The Arrow Private Hotel to anyone looking for a getaway just a short stroll from the delightful ambience of Arrowtown.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Quality accommodation in delightful Arrowtown. Modern and well designed, our unit had a double shower, a bath, underfloor heating, a big bed and a lovely view over the tree-clad hills. Only a short walk along the creekbank to the village. Add a great breakfast delivered to the room and you've got a winner. Tim, the charming owner, couldn't have been more helpful, recommending restaurants and wineries. If your looking for the adult pleasures of peaceful surroundings,quality accommodation and a receptive host this is the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrowtown
Arrowtown House Boutique Hotel
Ramada Hotel & Suites Queenstown Remarkables Park
Millbrook Resort
Millbrook Resort
#1 of 5 in Arrowtown

Been to The Arrow Private Hotel? Share your experiences!