“In the land of sheep this lamb shank should have been left in the dip!”
Review of New Orleans Hotel

New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Arrowtown
north yorkshire
“In the land of sheep this lamb shank should have been left in the dip!”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

What can I say? I should have taken a picture of it . Most certainly the worst lamb shank I have ever been presented with.
My best description of it is "a dried up bone with a bit of meat stuck on the end, swimming in a sort of red gravy with a watery mash awash in the stuff". Ugh!
C'mon New Zealand . You can do better than that!
Or I hope you can.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Room booked was described as attached to the 'inner courtyard', which would have been accurate if by courtyard they meant 'back alley'. I called the hotel to book a room, as I wanted to make sure it was quiet enough to accommodate our 18 month old son. Was told the hotel was only noisy on the weekends (our stay was during the week) and they put us in what they described as the 'quietest' room. Literally five feet from our door were ten trash and recycling containers into which were dumped glass bottles day and night. Next to this was a plastic table (complete with cigarette butts outside our 'non-smoking' room) used as a break table for hotel/pub staff, and we could hear every word of conversations through our wall (which was a paper-thin sheet of glass with blinds). Mops, ladders, laundry and building materials were scattered throughout our tranquil 'courtyard'. The room itself was fine, reasonable for the 115/night we paid, although the shower drain clogged, flooding the bathroom on our last day. I have to say I was really not expecting a lot, as the room was priced similar to (not below) the cheaper motels and holiday parks in Arrowtown. Furthermore, I can certainly appreciate that much more effort is put into the restaurant patrons than hotel guests. It's a budget accommodation, attached to a restaurant. I get that. However, I am baffled by how a hotel can put its guests between its trash cans and employee break table, describe it as a 'quiet' room and 'sell' the property as possessing an 'inner courtyard', and expect 'guests' to leave content. Finally, while mentioning where we were staying to business associate living in Arrowtown, the New Orleans accommodations were twice described as a dive. I only wished I had asked their opinion before we booked our room. The only plus was that our son's inordinate love of 'trash trucks' was fulfilled by the rubbish lorry's visit to our room. Thank you, New Orleans Hotel, for providing our son with such unrivaled entertainment.

I've never left a 'terrible' review on trip advisor, but I felt compelled to do so after our stay at the New Orleans. Never again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank 301djd43

Travellers are raving about these Arrowtown hotels

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Average accommodation and pleasant bar, however continental breakfast was miserly. Don't expect to feel satisfied or any extras.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Haberfield, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2007

I have stayed at The New Orleans in Arrowtown New Zealand many times on skiing trips. While it is not luxery it is comfortable. Rooms are motel style, food is hearty , staff a fantastic and it is not too expensive .It lies betwen three skifields , near Queenstown , an hours drive to Wanaka and its two fields. Arrowtown is a smmall historical village a few miles from Queenstown You need a car. Part of Lord of the Rings was filmed at the back of the hotel

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank lAURIE URANE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrowtown
Arrowtown House Boutique Hotel
Arrowtown Holiday Park
Arrowtown Holiday Park
#1 of 4 in Arrowtown
Arrowtown Motel Apartments

Been to New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!