“Good and Bad”
Review of New Orleans Hotel

New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Arrowtown
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We chose to stay in a BASIC room (not a deluxe) as we were out all day and just needed a comfortable, clean room for 2 nights. Whilst the Basic room has all the basics - en suite, TV with Sky, plenty drawers and shelving, coffee and tea making facilities, bar fridge, clean linen and nice toiletries, the decor and overall look of the room and bathroom (lemon yellow!) was rather dismal and depressing - lots of overbearing wood panelling, dark furniture and carpet, appalling lighting, cheap looking duvet covers. These Basic rooms are ripe for a makeover (don't be fooled by the photo on their website) such as what has already been done in the Riverview rooms.

The bar fridge, standing on top of a chest of drawers and not built into a cupboard, was very noisy. In the shower, (very small) the top layer of waterproof formica-type of material had peeled off, leaving dark patches of compressed board (?) which no doubt is not waterproof and will be rotting before long. The single bar heater against the top of the wall could not cope with the -6 degrees overnight temperatures. The sliding door was VERY noisy - enough to wake not only your neighbouring guest, but the whole neighbourhood. Adding to the noise factor was the humming of something - a boiler? and extractor fan? - that seemed to go on all night. It also occurred to me that there was no window opening in the door and that I would hate to be staying there on a hot summer's night, as the only way to let fresh air in, would mean sleeping with your sliding door open.

As for the meals we had: The pizza and draught cider was very good but I can't say the same for the breakfast. The Eggs Montreal had one overcooked poached egg and one undercooked egg, the one half of the bun/bagel (?) was really soggy but the other half o.k. The smoked hot salmon had a good smokey flavour/taste but was awfully dry. The mushrooms from the other breakfast dish were virtually raw and still cold but the bacon was perfectly cooked. But full marks to the New Orleans for honouring the GrabOne breakfast voucher even if it was one day into the school holidays (the smallest of small prints revealed that it was not valid during school holidays) as I would have been very grumpy if I had to pay full price for that breakfast. So all in all, some good, but a bit more bad.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for New Orleans Hotel

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Pub food with a slightly different menu.

Not for romantics. Not for class. OK for watching the rugby with a drink.

Brought our starter at the same time as the main.

Mediocre beers.

Good fire. Look up at Mickey Mouse picture.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
NewOreans2011ltd, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Hi,
Thanks for choosing to dine with us on Friday.
Sorry you got your starter with your main.
Our Beer on tap ( All Main NZ brews Two Craft Beers and two international) is by no means mediocre ... We also have 8 types of bottled beers and hundreds of spirits.
When you looked up and saw Mickey Mouse, You would be referring to our Mickey to Tiki painting , one of NZ's most iconic paintings?
Pubs can be romantic, depends on the company.
Cheers

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel is situated in the middle of the main street in Arrowtown and you enter through the lounge bar which is a comfortable large lounge with a nice fire and comfortable chairs. Bar staff were friendly and helpful and the range of food available was excellent. Problem was I booked a room here for two nights while travelling in the area on business. I chose the cheaper option for the room and wish I hadn't but having said that the basic problems that I experienced should not have been apparent even for the 'cheaper' cost. The deluxe rooms are better I stayed in one of those a few years ago and it was excellent. Anyway the ranch slider door was almost off its tracks and left me wondering about the security of the room when I was out. It was very basic and not very clean. The heating was a single bar electric heater high on the wall and eventually half way through day two the room was just off freezing. The electric blanket didn't work. The fridge kicked in every 20 minutes or so and made a dreadful noise all night. The TV didn't work and the 'free WiFi' is a joke because I was never able to connect to it for more than a few seconds at a time so just as well I have a 3G enabled cell phone. Why advertise something when its not available?

The bed was reasonably comfortable and I guess I managed to sleep OK even though the place was freezing. The bathroom was the worst. It had no heating at all - nothing not even a heated towel radiator. It was absolutely freezing cold and on my last morning when I was going to catch a flight home there was no hot water at all either in the sink or the shower so I had to make do with boiling the kettle several time and getting only a very basic wash. Totally unacceptable.

I finally got dressed and went to the bar to return my key and met a staff member who took the key and when I explained about no hot water he did apologise and offered me the chance to shower in another room which I declined as I was not prepared to strip off again in a cold room and shower after finally getting warm plus I had a flight to catch. I declined and then as an after thought he offered me a coffee which I also declined due to time pressure.

Hotel New Orleans you have a prime location in the most beautiful place - Arrowtown - but you are really taking the Mickey with rooms like this. It is totally inexcusable in 2014 to offer this low level of quality which even at half the price would have been too much. The location and the lounge bar are first rate so please pay attention and do something about these dreadful rooms they are awful and letting your reputation down.

Room Tip: Choose the De-Luxe rooms over the cheaper ones they are better from my experience which was admitted...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Husband and I stayed in a deluxe room for four nights as a base to explore Arrowtown, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Cromwell and Wanaka. We had a rental car and parked down by the river overnight, where there is a lot of free long-term parking.
Pros: the rooms have their own entrance, so you don't have to go through the pub every time; very clean; based on the Main Street of Arrowtown, so close to food, etc; Sky TV on big screen; lots of pillows and blankets, heater; powerful, hot shower; nice view of trees but expected a better view from "deluxe" description on website.
Cons: wasn't very clear where to check in - just at the bar, it seemed, where staff were not always available; did not realise the fridge was not on until the second morning, so did not trust the milk; the milk was not replaced after it had passed its expiry date; but can understand why the fridge was off - it's a tad noisy; metal stairs next to room created a noise when people ran up and down them late at night, after a few drinks probably; if come in autumn, be prepared to be woken early by street cleaners and blowers cleaning up all the leaves; small bath towels

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

staff let me try the different brews before I settled on one I liked - the open fire inside is nice and the big deck area outside is lovely and spacious - I felt fine here on my own! It is really peaceful outside and I can imagine that it is a great place in the winter with the big open fire in the main bar! Good selection of local beers too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Unfortunatly we were in the noisy room, the fridge turned on evey hour, upstairs sliding doors were very loud and you could hear a gas boiler starting up every few hours! Room itself was nice and comfy, there was a hole in the bathroom wall exposing water pipes, the painting on the ceiling wasnt finished, on the good side you had a nice bed, sky tv, fridge, milk, tea and coffee. very central hotel in the heart of arrowtown so a perfect place to base yourself to explore for a few days!!

Room Tip: Try and avoid room 10!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Arrowtown is delightful and the New Orleans is right in the centre, full of character. It was a pub room so don't expect too much, fairly small and there was a problem with our shower cubicle but quite adequate. Friendly helpful service, good food and being a pub there was a good choice of beer. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MartinLyndhurst
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arrowtown
Arrowtown House Boutique Hotel
#1 of 5 in Arrowtown
Settlers Cottage Motel
Settlers Cottage Motel
#5 of 12 in Arrowtown

Been to New Orleans Hotel? Share your experiences!