“New Management” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Wangaratta
Yarra Valley, Australia
“New Management”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

After a long trip I needed a place to sleep and it was late, this was the only place with its signs lit up at 10.30pm so this is where I stayed, not reading any reviews, I booked in for the night. Luckily I didn't because I probably would have kept driving. When I read the reviews the next day I was shocked to see the photos. It is a completely new place, I hardly recognised it from what I saw in the snaps, so I took some myself before I left so you can compare the difference for yourself. The motel has been taken over by a young couple and they are very welcoming and friendly, they walk you to your room, fill the kettle and get it boiling for you, not what I expected at all. The place is very clean and tidy and doesn't look like a rubbish dump anymore. We'll worth a return stay, pets welcome, I can even bring my pooch next time. Great destination for a holiday. They have chickens, an aviary, a miniature pony alpacas, I did notice that there was no rooster to wake you up, thank goodness. Great place to take your kids. Will definitely be returning. A+++

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

After the sudden check in, the next day only I went through the previous reviews, the situation now is not that much worst! I can say the condition is bit improved.
Keys in the doors, milk in the fridge that's what you hear from an old woman - the all in all reception/ room service/ etc..etc.. When you get in to the motel. Still I say ok for what you pay

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dush S
Somerset, Tasmania, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

I agree with the previous reviews, but I wish I had read them before coming.
The reception area is disgusting and smelly, that should have put us off. The room was cramped, made worse by the bed being placed back to front with the high end getting in the way of an already small room.
The kitchen was poorly equipped and the dishes in the cupboard dirty. The carpets were also dirty.

The bed linen seemed clean, but "snail droppings" and old mouse traps in the room were off putting.

Thankfully we only stayed one night, we would not stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Graham H
Somers, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

On arrival at this motel, the toilet would not flush and the television did not work. The Manager came with a plunger in hand, after plunging toilet placed it on the filthy carpet and proceeded to try to fix the extremely dusty television. We were moved to another room which had a filthy carpet and not sure that it had been cleaned (things in bathroom bin)? We were booked in for two nights and could not bare to stay another. We had to pay $188.00 because we did not even want to attempt to get a refund. We have stayed at many country motels and although they may be outdated, they have been clean!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynne C
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

My friend and I stayed here on the 4th April 2012 on our way home from a lomng holiday to Adelaide and the Great Ocean Road. It was getting very late, we were extremely tired and desperate for a motel. From the accommodation directory we had it sounded nice as it "was in a 3 acre rural setting" and my friend is an avid bird watcher. Unfortunately we couldnt do any research beforehand and only booked it over the phone 30 mins before we arrived and asked for a self contained unit for $94, and because we were so tired we then broke our only rule that we check the room before we stay. The reception was extremely untidy with papers and boxes everywhere. We were given the key to room 12 and outside of it was a very grubby white table and chairs. From the front door we went into the kitchen/dining area which contained 2 bunk beds and a veryold table and chairs, Another room had the double bed and everything in there was very old and mismatched. There was a desk on one wall made out of an old piece of wood covered with kitchen flooring material and held down with upholstery tacks which were all loose, and consequently we both pricked our fingers. The bathroom was very outdated and grubby. There was a holder on the wall with four bars of soap for guest use. These were all unwrapped and we found the sink was coming away from the wall. The kitchen had everything we thought we would need, fridge, microwave, toaster, pots & pans and a 2 burner compact cooker. The only saucepan in the kitchen cupboard was pitted with "black" stuff and the top of the cooker was very black and rusty. Our dinner that night was beans on toast done in the microwave with our own bowl. Thankfully i can say that the bedding was clean. Desperate to do some laundry, we found the guest laundry hidden by pushing through trees, alongside an old car that looked as if it had been dumped, and mounds of old hanging baskets and bags of compost. The small room had one washer and one drier for guests. In one corner was shelving which looked as if it was clean sheets for guests but among it was an old t.v, christmas decorations and workmens tools. When we went back to take our stuff out of the drier it wouldnt stop when the door was opened and we had to turn it off at the power source.. The location was extremely noisy as unbeknown to us a railway line was behind the motel and used by freight trains all night long. In the morning we looked out onto a central grass area that was littered with a pile of broken & torn car seats, wheelbarrows full of garden rubbish and a huge assortment of other stuff. As pets are welcome our eyes immediately focused on a large shed which stated "if your dogs do, this is the loo".Surely this could have been sited more discretely. It stated a bbq was available. One of them we found was covered with old buckets, tins and rubbish.. As we left and packed our car we found that chickens were running loose around the rooms.. Needless to say that however desperate we were, we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely ask to view the room beforehand as the picture in the www.arrahotels.com accommodation di...