“Disappointing! A room full of huge moths!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wangaratta
Gardenview Lodge Motel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Wangaratta
Rotorua, New Zealand
“Disappointing! A room full of huge moths!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My husband and I stayed one night here a couple of weeks ago. Very nice surrounding garden, but I'm sorry to say the room was very disappointing, bathroom dated, and the bedroom area was inundated with huge moths! Not good for me as I have a silly fear of the damn things!! My husband killed about 20 of them, while I was either hiding in bathroom or under blankets! Bedroom area furnishings were ok, nothing flash but serviceable. Carpet was filthy looking and extremely dated. We were room 27 the last in a block. The room did have a good heat pump which was great as it was a cooler night.

It was reasonably quiet, just of main road into Wangaratta, and rail road across the road, but only heard the train once throughout the night.

If we had been able to get into another motel I would have probably shifted to another, but as we were only staying the night, and out visiting relatives in near by Myrtleford for evening we weren't there long.

On leaving the following morning we discovered the front door to unit was partly open and didn't in fact close properly. We had arrived in daylight but curtains had been pulled so we hadn't noticed, but room was full of moths already, so I'm guessing it has been like this for some time.

Good thing about this place is there was a light continental breakfast available in a reasonably sized and warm restaurant area. Nice selection of cereals and toast. Also tea coffee and juice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Strickes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Traralgon, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The Family Villa was excellent. We had a 3 night stay in August 2013 and could not fault it. It was extremely clean and modern, with comfortable beds and an excellent kitchen. There was a continental breakfast included in the price and they even made up our room each day. This was a very unexpected but welcomed surprise. The couches could be updated to provide more comfortable seating ( they looked a bit tired/worn) but it did not detract from our enjoyable stay. Just a suggestion as some travellers may see this as a negative.
The heating system was great and we were nice and warm in the cabin. It was such a quiet location that we slept soundly and felt well rested.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: This review was based on Cabin Number 1
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TowerEnterprises
Sydney AUS
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We booked a Family Villa at the Gardenview Lodge in Wangaratta.
Firstly I must say it was hard to find as my GPS was confused by the address. It is on the main road on the left, just past the cemetery. It is through town and you drive until you are almost back on the Hume Fwy (if driving in the direction of Syd- Melb).

It was easy to book (over the phone) and a great price in comparison to other motels.
Check in was also easy.

The Villa (a cabin) was clean, spacious and all we needed to rest our heads on our long trip.
It was 2 bedrooms. The main BR had a double bed and a television. The other BR had two double bunks. So, bedding for 4 in that room.
I have to tell you that when my eldest child was keeping the others awake I was pleased to see that the lounge in the main area was a fold-down futon type lounge so he slept out there.
(Which is why I mentioned the TV in the adult's bedroom, once the child was in the lounge room I could still watch TV in private).

The kitchen was well equipped with dishes, glasses, mugs, kettle, toaster etc. I didn't cook there and can't say that I looked for cooking equipment. There was a microwave.

There were plenty of sheets, blankets and towels but no face washers or little toiletries. There was pump pack soap which doubled as shampoo. This type of thing doesn't matter to me as I bring my own toiletries but as some other motels provide these things, you might be expecting it.

It was very cold in the area and I believe it was snowing nearby at Falls Creek however with the reverse cycle air conditioning we were very comfortable.

I believe a Continental breakfast was included but it wasn't mentioned at check-in and I was keen to get back on the road so we did not partake.

I would definitely stay there again if needing to stop, revive, survive. Also, the journey from Syd- Melb with kids can be draining ("Can I have something to eat?"... "Can you change the DVD?... "When are we going to get there?... etc etc) so it is worth a sanity stop over. The town is well equipped (supermarkets with bottle shops, McDonalds, all the important things) so, go for it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family