“Nice lodging at Coolum”

The Beach Retreat Coolum
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Decent location and hotel/apartment rental. The good: free car park, located just across the street from the beach, friendly staff, large bathrooms. The average: beds, pool, cleanliness. The bad: nothing. I would recommend this for an overnight or long weekend, but not for a week or more.

Room Tip: Any room is fine.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 March 2014

The Beach Retreat is not really big enough to be classed as a retreat but it certainly was close to the beach. I've only rated it as average which I feel is a bit harsh but I couldn't honestly say that it was very good either.
Choosing accommodation on line is always a bit of a lottery as a picture doesn't always tell 1,000 words but when I arrived at the The Beach Retreat I knew instantly that I had chosen an awesome location.
I had caught an early morning flight so arrived well before check in time. The room wasn't ready but I was advised to come back in an hour when I was given the key. I really appreciated the gesture but I would have appreciated it more if it was done with less of a 'this is an inconvenience' attitude.
The room was on the third floor and had a great view over the pool out to the ocean. As I opened the door I was greeted by the blast of a really great A/C unit and the reassuring smell of strong bleach which screamed 'no bathroom germs could survive this cleaning onslaught'.
The room itself was not large but had everything I needed although free wifi would have been nice. The bathroom was spacious with a good shower over a good sized spa bath. The room was well overdue for a refurb but it was clean and comfortable. The carpet didn't look that old but had a few stains and some of the fixtures were rusty (the downside of being so close to the sea). The tiles in the bathroom really needed to be re grouted but the bed was comfortable and the view was awesome.
There are plenty of cafés and restaurants within easy walking distance and also plenty of secure car parks on site. This was only a very short and busy visit for me so I didn't get a chance to use the pool but it looked nice.
The room rate that I booked on line was competitive for the area but I wouldn't say that it was great value for money.
The acid test for me of a great hotel is always the question 'would I bring my family back to stay here'. I think the answer for me would have to be no because I preferred the look of many of the hotels in the Noosa area but if I had to come back to Coolum for a short stay I would certainly consider The Beach Retreat again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our 2 nights stay. Great location as its closed to the shops and right in front of the beach :) Its about 20mins drive to & from the airport. The staff are really friendly & the place is clean.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The Beach Retreat calls itself a "resort motel". All the rooms have balconies overlooking the pools. The pools and landscaping around them make a great setting. The Beach Retreat is opposite a patrolled surf beach and there are restaurants and shops within a few minutes walk. From our balcony we had a great view of the ocean surf. From what we could see most rooms would, though some of the lower level rooms at the back of the complex may not get the same views. There is a games room. We tried to use the air hockey table. However, it kept jamming up and we had to give up. The receptionist was very helpful in trying to get it going again.

The bed was king sized and very comfortable. The bedroom and living area had ceiling fans, which we like as we don't like air conditioning that much. We found that we could maintain a comfortable temperature inside with the balcony doors open and the ceiling fans going. There is ducted air conditioning should you need it.

There is no free wi-fi, which these days I find unforgivable. Especially, as many budget motels even offer this service now.

The decor in the living room seemed quite modern and the outdoor setting appeared to be fairly new. The net curtains had some unsightly marks on them and the coffee table top looked a bit battered.

Where this property shows its age is in the bathroom and kitchen. In the kitchen the seals around the sink had started to come away. A dishwasher appears to be an obvious omission. The crockery could be cleaner. We think that previous occupants had only given them a cursory rinse under the tap. We also found left over groceries from the last occupants in the fridge.

In the bathroom the soap tray in the shower looked as though it had seen better days and a bit of descaler wouldn't go amiss in the shower head. There is a washing machine and clothes dryer, so if you are staying for a while you don't need to take heaps of clothes.

Unfortunately, the remote was missing for our TV but that was quickly rectified. However, the TV itself seemed to have a faulty tuner as after 10 minutes of operation all free to air channels locked up completely. There was also a green hue across all pictures.

Other reviewers have mentioned the parking situation. There is enough parking spaces to go around. However, they are not allocated. Some of the spaces are dual spaces (one behind the other). Most of these were occupied by single vehicles, which appeared to force guests with 2 cars to use 2 single spaces. On one night we had to park a few minutes walk away in a side road. This was not easy as many of the spaces close to the resort have 24 hour restrictions on them. I would like to see the resort management introduce a system of allocating car parks to units, when bookings are being made.

In summary, I would say the pros about the location and the facilities in general outweigh the cons. However, most of the cons are minor maintenance and management issues that would not take much to fix. If there were to be corrected then I would say the overall rating and value should be very good.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on level 3. This way you should get a good view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HolidayBears69
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Considering the cost for this time of the year, the whole resort was ok. Great location straight across from the patrolled beach, boardwalk & walking paths, surf club and the shopping strip. The onsite heated pool left our eyes quite sore and irritable. Shame there wasn't a gym. The games room consisted only of 2-3 pinball type machines and an air hockey table, all requiring a parents wallet. Perhaps they could look at a table tennis table as a 'no cost to the guests' game to have available. Our rooms were tidy. The parents bedroom consisted of two single beds pushed together to make a king bed - sorry but that is not a king bed....especially when one of the single bed mattresses had springs that were well-and-truly sprung. No dishwasher equalled bickering from kids when asked to help with the dishes. No oven in the kitchen, only a microwave with a grill in it. When staying for a week or more(as we did), an oven comes in handy.

Having said all of this, it was ok but I wouldn't be rushing back at peak season for the price we paid.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Stopped off here for two days.
when we went to check in the staff greeted us warmly. We were given a map of the complex as well as the local area.
Its a 2 minute walk to the beach and shops.

The complex has a pool, sauna, jacuzzi and BBQ area available to all guests.

The studio apartment itself was clean and bright. With everything we needed for our short stay. Washing machines and dryers were located on the ground floor for those staying in a studio.

On checkout Wade recalled my girlfriends name. Its Irish so a bit difficult to pronounce for non Irish people. It was a nice touch. The reception dog was lovely too. Sitting there on its chair.

My only negative comment would be the level of "sticky dust" in the vent in the bathroom and ceiling fan in the main room. Other than that everything else was clean, tidy and well presented.

Would stay again if in Coolum Beach.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank hallamj
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Beach Retreat. We had a one bedroom apartment with beach views. We were very impressed with everything from the size of the room to the retreat's facilities. Great staff, very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect - being a stones throw away from the beach, surf club, shops, cafes and restaurants you can walk to everything so you don't need a car if you are just going to stay in Coolum. We cannot fault our overall experience at the Beach Retreat. We will certainly be coming back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Coolum Caprice Luxury Holiday Apartments
Novotel Twin Waters Resort
Novotel Twin Waters Resort
#1 of 1 in Twin Waters

Been to The Beach Retreat Coolum? Share your experiences!