“Diner Beware”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Hopefully Clive doesn't sue me for writing this, but the Smiling Duck was a terrible experience all around. I ordered a Red DUCK Curry but was sneakily served a Red CHICKEN Curry without being told. Normally I would not complain, but for close to $40 for this meal I was extremely annoyed. They also tried to weakly assure me that it was duck (it wasnt - they were out of duck and other duck dishes were not available). Entrees were also bland and expensive. Diner beware...
Staff were also hopeless and poorly trained. But hey, they are paid a large wage regardless of performance; that's Australia for you

There are newer reviews for The Smiling Duck

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We had Yum Cha and were a bit disappointed. We had to dust off the dead bugs of our tablecloth from the night before to start.

We had the $30 per head special which included fried rice and about 3 or 4 varieties of steamed dumplings. A glass of wine and jasmine tea was also included. The dumplings were all remarkably similar tasting and to be quite honest, a tad bland. The fried rice was also very basic and plain. The service was not the best, and appeared quite disorganized and a bit flustered, even though they didn't appear very busy.

Atmosphere was lacking, with no music or ambience.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have been craving for some authentic Asian food since we moved to the area and decided that driving into Brisbane was a long trip for food. We decided to try the Smiling Duck for our anniversary and was not disappointed. The portions were generous and the service, delightful. We have returned twice and will continue to do so when the cravings kick in. Reservations, highly recommended.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I enjoyed lunch with two friends at the Smiling Duck recently. I had stayed and eaten at the Coolum Hyatt before and was interested to see how it had changed since becoming the Palmer Coolum. I'm delighted to say it was different but still excellent. We loved the 5 course yum cha menu and it included a glass of equally tasty wine and green tea. It was relaxed, friendly and excellent value at $30 a head.
We headed to the court yard for a coffee which definitely has improved, one of the nicest coffee's I have had recently. I'm looking forward to bringing my husband back to try it.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We attended the smiling duck for yum cha having the $30 menu. It includes 5 dishes to share with a glass of wine, beer or soft drink along with green tea. My only criticism about the food was, that 3 out of the 5 dishes we had were pork! The white wine offered was good.
Ambience is lovely, and service by our waiter Andrew was of high standard.
It was raining on the day we arrived, so,our shuttle service to and from the car park was very much appreciated. Staff were exceptional and look forward to a returning to the smiling duck!

1  Thank carol1136458