“Great stay in Cabin at Manning Park Resort”

Manning Park Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manning Park
Vancouver, Canada
“Great stay in Cabin at Manning Park Resort”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Spent 5 days at Manning Park resort with family in July. I wrote a winter review for the lodge a couple of years ago. There are now new owners, and I'll review the cabins this time, and in summer.

Manning Park is a spectacular, gorgeous place. I love this place.

The resort staff are still great - nice folks at front desk, very helpful people in the country store (they went to the restaurant to fetch milk when the store was out of milk - thanks!)

What I hadn't realized in the past is that the naturalists are hired by Manning Park Resort -they are not associated with BC Parks or park rangers. From Thursday to Sunday, all summer, they run 2 to 3 naturalist/interpretive programs each day: typically at 10am, 2pm and 7pm, ranging from walks in the flowered alpine meadows or on low altitude forest trails, to evening talks on pika (a cute alpine critter) and bears in the evenings. We only went to evening talks this trip. These are fun for kids, and interesting for grownups as well - and are delivered by knowledgeable, enthusiastic young people who really seem to love doing these interpretive programs.

We stayed in a "standard cabin" i.e. the smallest cabin they have, but it was quite big and comfortable for 5 people. First bedroom has a double bed, second bedroom has 2 sets of bunk beds (4 beds). Both rooms had plenty of drawer space, night tables, and a long clothes rack to keep everything organized. The bunk room was pretty spacious. Plenty of space for 3 kids to play board games on the floor in the bunk room. There was also a sofa bed in the living room, but we didn't need it. Kitchen was fine: kitchen table seats 8 tightly, 6 comfortably. There was plenty of cookware, dishes and all the utensils and cooking tools you need, a large fridge, stove, and microwave. I never saw the staff in our cabin, but each afternoon when we returned, someone had fixed up the beds, changed towels in bathroom and kitchen, tidied up the bathroom and emptied the garbage.

We fished, canoed and/or hiked every day, and also swam in the lakes every day. Manning is a fabulous place! You can rent canoes, kayaks or rowboats at the day use area. Kids sometimes played tennis on the tennis courts while waiting for dinner. There were two BBQ areas and fire pits near our cabin - we made good use of them, grilling burgers, roasting marshmallows and making bannock at the fire pit. Then at the end of each day we enjoyed the pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna. Pool and hot tub complex stayed open until 10pm every night - great because we rarely managed to get out there before 9pm and were often still there at 10pm closing time. Kids were very clean and very tired every night!

Manning Park Resort is still a place to really away get away from it all: No internet, no cellphone coverage, and there are only about 3 TV stations that you get - although they have nice big TVs in the cabins and in the lodge rooms. A staff member told me they are trying to get Telus to put in cell coverage, mainly for safety reasons. We bring walkie-talkies so we can communicate when we split up on the alpine trails or when fishing around the lakes.

Stayed 5 days in July 2013, traveled with family

I love this place: if you know of a similar place in southeastern BC with similar features, I'd love to hear about it: would like: freshwater lake with great swimming, no motorized water vehicles (i.e. safe swimming), canoe and/or rowboat rentals, fantastic scenery, good hiking, good fishing, hot tub (preferably outdoors) And I guess no cellphone coverage and no internet would be a bonus, but not an essential. And although I used to like camping out in a tent, I'm old now, I like a comfortable bed and warm shower, so the I need a comfortable lodge or cabin.

Room Tip: Cabins were nice, but so is lodge - we've stay in both over the years. B
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Vancouver-mom2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Pitt Meadows, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My husband and I visited the Manning Park Resort end of July 2013. The staff were friendly, the hot tub great after a day of hiking. But the beds are very hard and the pillows are even harder, with no other choices. It was painful on my hips and neck. We sunk towards the middle of the bed. I lost an entire night of sleep and that experience shortened our stay in the park, and spoiled what would otherwise have been a great two-day getaway.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, if you have mobility problems, ask for a room on the main floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We were not visitors to this Lodge.
My brother and I were travelling with our dad from Alberta, who had just had a wonderful 90th Birthday celebration with extended family at Waterton Park.
Dad began to show signs that something was very wrong with his health when we entered Manning Park on our way home to Victoria.
We drove into the parking lot, and starting with the front desk staff we were given full attention from all that arrived on the scene. For those individuals who came to the aid of our dad so quickly and efficiently, on Tues July 16th, we cannot thank-you enough!!
We believe that without your quick assistance our dad may not have survived his stroke.

A very special thanks to Dan!! and to the management of the Lodge...you were all so compassionate. I am sorry that I do not recall your names, but you know who you are.
Dad does not remember any of your kindness but is so very grateful.
He is leaving Hope today, Wed July 24th, for Victoria by ambulance and we are hopeful that he will soon be on the mend and back to a normal life.

Your kindness and caring will never be forgotten. Thank-you. Don, Jeanne and family.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank 55Bambie12
nottingham
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I visited the Manning Park Resort mid- June 2013. The location is fabulous and the staff could not be more helpful. The restaurant is open and the food excellent the chef and waiting staff were very friendly and there were plenty of choices for a vegetarian.
The rooms have had a recent upgrade and were very clean with fridges, microwaves and plenty of room.
The swimming pool, fitness room and hot tub were in a lovely building with views out to the mountains and 2 minutes walk from the main building.
The staff were very helpful in advising about walks in the area and weather conditions to expect.
You got the feeling that all the staff were engaged and keen to ensure you had a good time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank joolsnottingham
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This review is for the Lodge and it's services NOT about the Park itself which is second to none for hiking and other activites.
Tired is not the word. We have come here so many, many times and each time it is either the same sad run down state or dare I say getting worse. We stopped coming for Christmas quite a number of years ago, as the Christmas dinner was nothing less than horrible. Everything tasted 'instant' from the turkey (no dark meat ... what does that tell you) to the gravy to the what I'm guessing were supposed to be mashed potatoes. No such thing as cranberry sauce, cabbage rolls etc. Lessons could be taken from Harrison Hot Springs Resort ... now that's a turkey dinner and our Christmas get away for the past 4/5 years ... and that's only because of the food!
While Manning's setting is next to none for a wilderness get away, the facilities are not just run down but getting very soiled,dirty and grimy - even the grounds are not being cared for to park standards.
Did not want to use the toilet facilities on the lower floor of the lodge but was forced to as our room was not ready. Room cleanliness is ok, but again getting grimy from inproper cleaning over the years so probably so ground in it won't come clean now - a can of paint would work wonders! We have so far always stayed in the lodge itself, which is fine, but again, getting very tired and worn and grimy.
We had reserved a cabin for Christmas 2013 some time ago, just to try and come back this year. After staying for the long weekend in May-have decided to cancel. We had a tour of the cabins and although fine for wilderness cabins, we felt that for the $349.00 a night I'd expect a decent bed at the very least. Just looking at the beds and the wows and depressions in them tell you there is absolutely no support left and have not had new mattresses since the 1800's!! We are seniors now and children and Christmas visitors now 40 plus ... I can't put them in these beds.
Very disappointed in the restaurant as well. Although sort of humourous and the
staff thought it hilarious my husband had ordered a 'very small' pancake with 2 eggs. The pancake was so large it just about went over the edge of the plate. Very wasteful. They then gave him a very 'watery' syrup. After asking for a pancake he can actually eat (size wise) and preparing his plate and having his first bite he silently told me something wrong with the syrup (understand this 62 year old man
is not a food guru) I tasted it for him ... their version of syrup is balsamic vinegar. Again, very funny to the staff. So on 3rd try they got it right and he actually enjoyed the pancake. I had asked for half order of bacon/eggs as I am a light eater. Not allowed to half the order ... what? I have never heard of such a thing.
Didn't even offer just doing it by side orders.Staff told me to order the full order and
they will just THROW AWAY what I don't eat. Really? No light fare offered, no seniors menu etc. Couldn't even have a decaf espresso based Americano although they brag that they have expresso coffee's and are re-opening the Bistro. They do have an espresso machine as we saw it. I don't think they know that DeCaf beans have been available for over 100 years now.
Over heard a single older female ask for gluten free bread for her toast ... what's that? Checked with chef .. no we don't offer anything gluten free. No fat free, no heart health menu, no diabetic fare . What we did have -food wise - over the long weekend was only OK, and that's probably only because we didn't have a choice if we didn't want to drive over an hour into Hope.
So although we gave it every opportunity, the restaurant's food is still not up to par for the prices charged and the lack of menu options and variety.
We asked every single staff member we came across about future plans for upgrading, updating the lodge and other amenities. NO. Not one staff member was aware of any plans for updating.
The store is a joke. General store? There is nothing but t-shirts and candy. Unsure how one gets their groceries to cook/eat etc in the cabins, but this store is not going to help you out. All we wanted were items to take on a hike so we could have lunch sitting by a creek along one of the trails.
The park is still well used for day visitors as we can tell from the amount of traffic coming in/out of the picnic and other areas (outdoor washrooms etc). But we also noticed none of them or very very few bought anything at the store and no one came into the restaurant to eat. We where there 3 days and the most people we
saw in the restaurant was one table of a family of 4 during one super and one table of one couple at a lunch and one single older female at a breakfast. We were usually the only ones in the restaurant during normal breakfast and dinner times.
I don't give the new owners much time before closing down if this is their offering.
Don't try to compare this to Jasper Park Lodge in Alberta or any other Lodge type resort within a provincial or federal park that has cabins, row boat rentals etc. We remain unsure what this is supposed to be other than perhaps a quick stay over while in the area using the park trails, lakes etc. There was a very large Buddist contingent renting most of the cabins for a (perhaps wilderness) retreat, never saw one of them in the restaurant or the store. They prepared their own food only and didn't really use any of the actual resorts amenities at all. I think once there were two people (younger children) in the pool ONCE.
We were put on the second floor,no elevator, and the one small window looked at the peak of the front of the lodge so was very dark and could not enjoy any view of the park or the grounds in this wilderness resort. We had to ask to be moved to the lower floor (mobility issues) and although hardly anyone else (I think only two other rooms were occupied almost all weekend) staying in the lodge, we were put in a room that overlooked the back parking lot! You'd think we would have been given a choice room since there really were no other tenants for the weekend (in the lodge itself ... cabins were almost fully booked for most of the long weekend)
We travel quite a bit and almost all places upgrade us when they have the rooms
available ... we have never asked for this wonderful treatment - it is just almost automatic with most hotels, motels, lodges and resorts that we've stayed at. All in all this resort is very disappointing ... this could be the jewel of BC for our visitors and residents ...alas!

Room Tip: Although not advertised ... there are NO elevators. If you have a bad back or any other sleep issues...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank madcachers

Travellers are raving about these Manning Park hotels

Vancouver
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We've stayed at Manning Park Lodge many times and while the accomodations may be a little tired, you cant beat the location if you want a hiking, canoeing and outdoorsy resort. The staff are great and amenities are good. I understand the new owners plan on updating the lodge and freshen it up. I hope so because it is a gem for anyone who wants to get into the outdoors without the craziness of Whistler. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank grantfromVancouver
North Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Manning Park Lodge and restaurant now closed and in receivership. Up for sale. This is a beautiful lodge, quiet, filled with wild life in area and wonderful hiking trails. Lightening Lake is still open and one can go canoeing on this beautiful scenic lake. How long it will be closed is anyone's guess but it is far too beautiful to allow it to sit idle.014Magpie

Room Tip: Lodge closed however when open all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
#11 of 43 in Golden
Sweetwater Lane Farm
Sweetwater Lane Farm
#1 of 4 in Pemberton

Been to Manning Park Resort? Share your experiences!