“Clean, comfy, and reasonably priced”

Manning Park Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manning Park
Cowichan Bay, BC
“Clean, comfy, and reasonably priced”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Had a great night in room 103 in the lodge (two queen beds). The room was very clean, the beds were comfy, and it was nice and quiet. We took advantage of the pool (extra towels available at the desk), hot tub and exercise room. While we didn't have time to stay and play, I saw that they had racquets, balls, etc., available to borrow from an equipment room. The "clothesline" over the tub was helpful for drying bathing suits. All the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. I felt the price was very reasonable for the cleanliness, comfort and amenities.

The only recommendations I could suggest would be longer wi-fi time (it only gives you about 10 minutes, and you have to ask at the office if you want more time), and a fan and water fountain/dispenser in the exercise room (though you can buy bottled water in a machine in the building). We hope to be back when we can stay and play longer!

1 Thank Canadian_Claire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The Pinewoods Dining Room at Manning Park Resort used to provide fairly average meals. New ownership since reopening in 2013 has changed that. We stayed at the lodge and had dinner at Pinewoods a few nights ago and were delighted with the improvements at the restaurant.
As I recall, no dinner entrees are listed on the permanent menu, which seems more of a lunch menu. They are listed on the blackboard near the entrance to the restaurant and I assume they change, but I don't know how often because we stayed just one night.

The Caesar salad my husband and I shared came in one bowl with an extra small plate and no serving spoon. Sort of odd way of serving a shared dish but it was delicious. My husband had barbecued baby back ribs. The serving was generous and the ribs were delicious.

I had braised lamb shanks that were just delicious -- falling off the bone, melt in your mouth, good flavor. But I have never been served such a large plate of food. There were two large lamb shanks and three people could have shared this dish and been happily full.

Both the ribs and the lamb shanks came with a large serving of several vegetables. These were perfectly prepared: well seasoned and not overcooked. Fortunately the lodge rooms have fridges so we were able to take our leftovers.

The wine list, though, could use some improvement. Or I should say, the management should consider having a wine list. According to our waiter, they have one white and one red. I think the white is a chardonnay and the red a merlot. Don't know what labels. Other than that I can't comment on the bar.

The service was very good.

I was never moved to write a review of Pinewoods' earlier efforts, but I'm happy to be able to recommend it highly now.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patita43
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I haven't been to manning park for over 20 years - we used to stay there when I was a kid. The last time we went - over 20 years ago we stayed in a deluxe cabin. We returned this past weekend with our own families - we are 3 couples with a total of 5 kids (two infants) all under 6 yrs. We booked a deluxe cabin. It looked exactly the same as it did 20 years ago - we had cabin 20 and it looked as if it has had no updates over the past two decades....The carpets and furniture were quite dingy and smelled like an ashtray. We had little ones with us and we dreaded putting them down on the floor to crawl around. The deluxe cabins were a good size for us. Only one bathroom and three bedrooms worked - it didn't seem to small. It was just in a sad state. And we paid $340.00 a night CAD which we all felt was too high for the condition of the cabin. The towels and linens were also old and ratty. Worse yet, not only was everything old, the cabin was quite dirty - especially under the tables and chairs - not sure if they were cleaning under there. Our kids feet were black after about 15 minutes in the cabin. We cleaned up a bit ourselves but for the price you would expect that it's at least clean - especially because everything in the cabin was old. Manning Park is absolutely beautiful. There are so many fun things to do - hiking, swimming in the lake, canoeing, etc. It's a shame that the resort wasn't kept up. I would highly recommend waiting until it's redone before staying in a cabin - the actual lodge rooms seemed much nicer. Hope they can get the place back on it's feet. It could be really amazing there.
I did complain about the conditions at checkout and they did take 10% off the bill, however it's not enough to get me back there unless improvements are made. I hope it happens!

4 Thank Saori Y
Mike B, General Manager at Manning Park Resort, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I worked at Manning and we were all very proud when the deluxe cabins were first built .The resort was purchased on April 26, 2013 by the new company and we have been very busy working , fixing and repairing. While work and improvements are ongoing ( we have purchased new linen, towels) as a result of neglect, there is no excuse for the facility not being clean. I do apologize to you and your family for that and we are working with staff to ensure that does not occur again. Manning is very special in an incredible location and I hope you and your family will return and have a better experience.

Travellers are raving about these Manning Park hotels

Nanaimo,BC
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Had a lovely time at Manning Park Resort. Rented a standard cabin and found this the perfect space for our family. The cabins are a bit dated, but are very clean and the beds are comfy. The kitchen has everything you need to cook your own meals. It was very quiet in the evenings even though it was the long weekend and the place was fully booked. I really appreciated that the resort allowed us to book Saturday-Monday on a long weekend, and did not require that we book Friday night as well. We ate lunch at the Pinewoods restaurant, the food was good, and the service was excellent. We enjoyed using the pool each night, although it would be nice if each guest could have a key to the pool. They ran out of keys, so we would have to go and get a front desk attendant when we wanted to use the pool. Also, I found the pool deck and flooring was very slippery - almost saw an older man fall. I'd suggest bringing pool appropriate foot wear to wear in the change room, because the floor was a bit dirty and had lots of wet hair stuck to it. The park itself is amazing, with lots of wonderful nature activities. We enjoyed hiking and fishing, and rented a row boat for a trip around Lightening Lake. There are lots of birds and wildlife around to enjoy. One thing to remember when heading here - you will truly be getting away.... there is no wifi, there is no phone in the cabin, and there is likely no reception for your cell phone. There are pay phones in the lobby and a single computer for guest use. To us, this wasn't a problem; its a nice part of the family getaway experience. But I did hear one guest complaining about this, so I just think people should know what to expect. Also, the TVs in your room only get 3 channels, and they aren't good ones. YTV, NBC sports, and some PBS channel. Bring games, books, DVD player/DVDs for the evenings. Overall, a great place to go for some family relaxation in the wilderness!

2 Thank tanyarankin
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I love Manning Park. I would love to love the resort, but there are so many little things that they could be doing that would make it better than the meh place that it currently is. For example, get wi-fi! The place has an internet connection and provides one computer in the lobby for guests. Spend $50 for a router and you can make your guests happier and not force them to wait to use the one computer. Also, you might want to train the staff a bit better in guest relations 101. Although no one was rude, I don't recall any staff person asking how our stay was, whether there was anything that could have been done to make the stay any better, etc. Overall, it's a functional place to stay set in a stunning provincial park. But with just a bit more attention, it could be a much better place to stay -- especially for the room prices. I would love to support the lodge with my business, but I'd be sorely tempted to save a bunch of money and just camp next time.

Room Tip: If you do stay, pay the little extra for mini-suite. The rooms are bigger and quieter for a small bi...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cdn_dawn
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Since taking over the resort April 26, 2013 we have been busy improving the facilities.We have installed a wifi system in the lodge, front parking area and the Pinewoods that is complimentary for the first 10 minutes then there is a charge of $3 per day.
We will continue to work on our customer service and are striving to have " Super Service with a Smile".
I hope you will visit us again and that we meet your expectations.
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Spent 5 days at Manning Park resort with family in July. I wrote a winter review for the lodge a couple of years ago. There are now new owners, and I'll review the cabins this time, and in summer.

Manning Park is a spectacular, gorgeous place. I love this place.

The resort staff are still great - nice folks at front desk, very helpful people in the country store (they went to the restaurant to fetch milk when the store was out of milk - thanks!)

What I hadn't realized in the past is that the naturalists are hired by Manning Park Resort -they are not associated with BC Parks or park rangers. From Thursday to Sunday, all summer, they run 2 to 3 naturalist/interpretive programs each day: typically at 10am, 2pm and 7pm, ranging from walks in the flowered alpine meadows or on low altitude forest trails, to evening talks on pika (a cute alpine critter) and bears in the evenings. We only went to evening talks this trip. These are fun for kids, and interesting for grownups as well - and are delivered by knowledgeable, enthusiastic young people who really seem to love doing these interpretive programs.

We stayed in a "standard cabin" i.e. the smallest cabin they have, but it was quite big and comfortable for 5 people. First bedroom has a double bed, second bedroom has 2 sets of bunk beds (4 beds). Both rooms had plenty of drawer space, night tables, and a long clothes rack to keep everything organized. The bunk room was pretty spacious. Plenty of space for 3 kids to play board games on the floor in the bunk room. There was also a sofa bed in the living room, but we didn't need it. Kitchen was fine: kitchen table seats 8 tightly, 6 comfortably. There was plenty of cookware, dishes and all the utensils and cooking tools you need, a large fridge, stove, and microwave. I never saw the staff in our cabin, but each afternoon when we returned, someone had fixed up the beds, changed towels in bathroom and kitchen, tidied up the bathroom and emptied the garbage.

We fished, canoed and/or hiked every day, and also swam in the lakes every day. Manning is a fabulous place! You can rent canoes, kayaks or rowboats at the day use area. Kids sometimes played tennis on the tennis courts while waiting for dinner. There were two BBQ areas and fire pits near our cabin - we made good use of them, grilling burgers, roasting marshmallows and making bannock at the fire pit. Then at the end of each day we enjoyed the pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna. Pool and hot tub complex stayed open until 10pm every night - great because we rarely managed to get out there before 9pm and were often still there at 10pm closing time. Kids were very clean and very tired every night!

Manning Park Resort is still a place to really away get away from it all: No internet, no cellphone coverage, and there are only about 3 TV stations that you get - although they have nice big TVs in the cabins and in the lodge rooms. A staff member told me they are trying to get Telus to put in cell coverage, mainly for safety reasons. We bring walkie-talkies so we can communicate when we split up on the alpine trails or when fishing around the lakes.

Stayed 5 days in July 2013, traveled with family

I love this place: if you know of a similar place in southeastern BC with similar features, I'd love to hear about it: would like: freshwater lake with great swimming, no motorized water vehicles (i.e. safe swimming), canoe and/or rowboat rentals, fantastic scenery, good hiking, good fishing, hot tub (preferably outdoors) And I guess no cellphone coverage and no internet would be a bonus, but not an essential. And although I used to like camping out in a tent, I'm old now, I like a comfortable bed and warm shower, so the I need a comfortable lodge or cabin.

Room Tip: Cabins were nice, but so is lodge - we've stay in both over the years. B
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Vancouver-mom2
Pitt Meadows, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My husband and I visited the Manning Park Resort end of July 2013. The staff were friendly, the hot tub great after a day of hiking. But the beds are very hard and the pillows are even harder, with no other choices. It was painful on my hips and neck. We sunk towards the middle of the bed. I lost an entire night of sleep and that experience shortened our stay in the park, and spoiled what would otherwise have been a great two-day getaway.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, if you have mobility problems, ask for a room on the main floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#11 of 43 in Golden
Sweetwater Lane Farm
Sweetwater Lane Farm
#2 of 4 in Pemberton

Been to Manning Park Resort? Share your experiences!