“Exquisite”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Soliman Bay
Portland, OR
“Exquisite”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The entire experience at Jashita was amazing- every detail of our stay was thoughtful, comfortable, interesting, and lovely. It is absolutely worth the price (in fact, it's extremely reasonable for a luxury boutique hotel and all the amenities that are included).
The grounds and buildings were incredibly well planned- probably the most beautiful and seamless "indoor/outdoor" meld I have ever experienced- every detail of the landscaping was exquisite.
The rooms were beautifully appointed, the food at the restaurant could not have been any better.
You have unlimited hot water and electricity- a rare treat in this area, that is still fairly rough. Soliman Bay is shallow, warm and perfect for snorkeling- another unique aspect in this area. The location is perfect for excursions in every direction.
It was so much better than any big resort or B&B, but had all the positive elements of each.
The staff were lovely- relaxed, happy, engaging- treated everyone warmly and with so much personal attention.
Tomasso, the owner made sure everyone felt welcome and happy! He runs a great place, clearly working hard to make sure every detail is perfect.

Its all very European, which is so classy and beautiful, but the lack of native culture (in the decor/food) was a little surprising- not in a bad way, though.
I'd rather be here than some Disney-fied version of Mexico. Perfecto!

Room Tip: They are all spectacular.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vallievenstar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

You cannot fault the staff of this place - they do their best to ensure you have a great time and nothing is too much trouble. We didn't get the best weather when we went and the owner Tommaso was not around (we hear he is the man who really makes this place memorable!) Some friends of our recommended Jashita to us and had the most amazing time. I think had the weather been better and Tommaso around we too would have reported back as this place being as good as they rated it. That said, I was disappointed with the bay. I was expecting perfect white sand, instead it was coarse and hurt your feet when walking on it (call me a softy) Not being into diving or snorkelling it was wasted on me as the water was incredible BUT I far preferred the beach at Tulum. Soft white sand and glorious water (when not too windy and wavy!) We actually ended up going to Tulum beach pretty much everyday, more to see and do and better beach. I guess if you want lots to see and do on the beach you go to Tulum not Jashita. That was our mistake. It is a peaceful location at Jashita and apart from the guy up the beach who does amazing lunches (fresh fish/BEST magaritas around) there is little else to do apart from eat at Jashita. The food here is good and great cocktail menu. The italian dishes were really good. Especially lobster spaghetti and the tuna carpaccio. Breakfast became a bit boring after day 4. yes you can have your eggs cooked different ways but the choice I found was limited. The rooms are lovely, spacious and huge balcony with own plunge pool and sun lounger. Our sea view was 'limited' we could just about see the sea but otherwise didn't really have much of a view. We were above the kitchen and the noise sometimes got to us and had we been able to lie in (we couldn't - up every morning 8am because we just woke up at that time) I'd have been annoyed as I'm sure it'd have woken us. Also, the bath towels are way too small and they need to provide loo brushes!!! The rooms are nice but not amazing. I wasn't blown away and the sheets were scratchy, for the price they charge I'd expect pure egyptian cotton (maybe I'm too damn fussy I don't know!)

Overall it was a great place to stay and if you want total isolation, romance and love diving and snorkelling this place is for you. If you want the white soft sandy beaches that you chill out on and watch the world go by then this isn't the place for you. Go and stay in a beach bungalow in Tulum. We sunbathed at Ziggy Beach and I checked out the Bungalows and was kicking myself as I wished we had done half the trip at Jashita and half the trip here in Tulum. In my opinion better value and better location/beach. Definitely need a car too when staying at Jashita. Oh and watch the cops and the army. They are brutal - pulled us over so often and then extracted cash from us for not having car documents with us (our own fault) but we essentially just paid them off ! It was quite frightening when we didn't stop for the army one night (we didn'trealise they were flagging us down) and they drove infront of us and blocked us in and surrounded us with guns ! .. quite an experience.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7 and 8
4 Thank REH77
snapper69, General Manager at Hotel Jashita, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear REH77 here I am!!
Just got back from Italy and while I was away look what happened! I understand your point of view, but please give me the opportunity to explain. For sure Jashita was not your place, and not because I was not there or the weather was no good, if we knew you were not a fan of snorkelling kayaking and a lover of secluded places immersed in pure nature we would have recommended Tulum beaches. I personally love that area, it was breath taking some years ago when you walked for miles and there were only a few hotels. Look now, there is one next to the other, more or less all the same, people walking everywhere, no privacy at all. Yes the sand is thinner, but after 2 hours of sunbathing what do you do? Go for a swim? The sea is rough most of the year with big waves, can’t snorkel, no kayaking but personally speaking the wind that never stops is the most annoying part. It’s amazing for kite surfing yes, that’s where I take my kids for kite lessons and they love it!!
I think you should have admired the beauty of the reef even if you are not a fan of snorkelling, it is really worth it(more or less like going to Chichen Itza, even if you are not a fan of archaeological sites it’s a must!). For sure you missed the walk on the left side of the hotel on the small lagoon right on the point where you can admire many species of birds like flamingos, spoonbill, the ibis just to name a few, we hosted a couple of photographers of the National Geographic last year. And of course you can sunbathe on the beach with just a breeze, not disturbed by anyone, very secluded. And if you wish to go and spend the day in Tulum beaches which I always recommend you just take a taxi or drive to Tulum, only a few minutes away.
Regarding the noise you heard above the kitchen it could have been the shutters of the restaurant that waiters open in the morning. Probably they didn’t pay attention, but the hotel rooms have been built with thick walls with soundproof materials so it is quite difficult to hear noises but it can happen, and rarely the kitchen stays open after 9pm.
We don’t put loo brush not because they are expensive but because we think that you pay enough to let someone else do the job. But if anybody asks for loo brush we provide them.
And your last complaint about the Egyptian cotton we should have, I don’t really know, I think you can find the answer in the many reviews posted from other guests, all I know is that we use pure linen sheets, much more expensive than any cotton.
If you happen to come back to Tulum I invite you to spend the day here and I will personally show you the beauties that surround the hotel and I’m sure you will understand why your friends suggested you to stay at Jashita!
Thank you.

Tommaso M.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husbane and I stayed here for four nights on our honeymoon. We could not have been more impressed, our only wish is that we could have stayed longer!!! We stayed in a superior deluxe suite which faced the ocean. The pictures on the website do not do this place justice, it's amazing!!
The restaurant is Italian/Mexican and we ate here pretty much three meals a day for our entire stay as we were so impressed and we found it to be pretty reasonably priced. My husband even ate fresh lobster that the owner Tomassu had caught while out fishing that day!
You can do free snorkelling and kayaking straight off the beach and it is just so nice to sunbake on the lounges and hammocks all day. It really is a beautiful boutique resort.
We couldn't recommend this place more highly, we will definitely be back!!

Paris, France
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We choosed Jashita to get some rest after a 2 weeks trip in Yucatan, deciding to pay way much that an other very nice hotel we went too (Piedra Escondida in Tulum) which was a bad choice... We are really surprised by reviews where people compare Jashita to a real jem, it is a nice hotel but overpriced and not as quiet as it is supposed to be.

+ The hotel setting is very nice in this nice bay, good place to snorkel directly in front of the hotel, good food even if much more expensive than in the center of Tulum.
Neither - or + but just good to know, You definitely need to rent a car if you want to have activities outside the hotel.

- - we got a room on the 1st floor, directly on top of the kitchen and the restaurant, knowing we asked for a quiet room when we booked, knowing that we stayed 5 consecutive nights nobody found a way to change our room even if we offered to pay for an upgrade. They told us the hotel was full which clearly was the case, but other guests left during our stay and they didnot offer us the possibilities to change room (probably easier to keep the same annoyed guest in this room instead of sharing it with multiple guests...)

- we have been surbooked and had to go for 1 night to an other hotel, as nice as it was we were disapointed to be surbooked knowing we booked like 3 months in advance... at the end, was a very nice idea to be 1 night in the Esencia which is a VERY nice hotel

To summarize, not a good deal, way overpriced compared for example to Piedra Escondida in Tulum on a very nice white sand beach, bit less luxury but very good food, very nice people and almost 3 times less expensive for the same period...

• Stayed January 2012
6 Thank Fred1503
snapper69, General Manager at Hotel Jashita, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Dear Fred 1503, what a shame.
I am very sorry Jashita was not up to your expectation.
You are very correct, unfortunately due to an internet black out we were not able for a whole day to access on the booking system. But as you were informed by me a few weeks in advance on the phone we did of course provide immediately to find you an accommodation in a higher level hotel at no extra cost for you on the night we were fully booked. I apologize again for the inconvenience.
Regarding the fact that we are overpriced I just wish to remind you that most hotels on Tulum beaches are very ” essential ” and simple like Piedra Escondida(which I personally like very much and consider it one of the best) and are not really comparable, they do not have any electricity and are run with generators(noise??) which means no A/C, it might not be a plus for all but believe me that when it gets hot here(most of the year) having A/C makes a huge difference. They don’t have flat screen tv(needs electricity), mini bar(needs electricity), plunge pool on the terrace and never mind all other differences,not to mention the road that runs only a few steps away from all hotels bedrooms which for sure makes a constant and annoying noise. I am truly sorry that unlike the majority of our guests you did not enjoy your stay at Jashita, but of course we can’t fulfil everybody’s expectations and I apologize again.
All I can say is that I feel very sad when a guest does not appreciate our hotel as I consider it like my house, I was unable to move you but if you had told me that you didn’t like it and felt very uncomfortable at Jashita I would have refund you for the remaining nights that’s for sure.
Nevertheless I really hope you enjoyed the beauty of Tulum and Mexico.
All the best.

Tommaso M.
Vevey, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We just came back from an 8 day stay at Jashita with our 3 year old daughter. It was heavenly...the attention to detail is exceptional and everything was immaculate and stylish. The general atmosphere is serene, but not overly so. The Italian family who run Jashita make everything feel very relaxed and homely. Food and wine were excellent. The beach is secluded and very private, with only a few villas along the shore. We hired a car and would pop out now and again to local towns and resorts for lunch - we were always extremely happy to arrive back 'home' to Jashita. Thank you to Tommaso and team for making it a 'holiday of a lifetime'. Look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AmyClareH
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We just got back from a glorious 2 week stay at The Jashita. It was amazing. We were thoroughly spoilt and were very lucky to have our room upgraded. The owner Tomaso couldn't be a better host and the staff were equally as charming. We were so sad to leave our beautiful room in the beautiful setting. Thank you Jashita for a truly memorable holiday.

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed at Jashita with my husband last week and couldn't have had a more lovely experience. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and our stay was a wonderful balance of exploration/excitement and pampered relaxation. Every single staff person @ Jashita was kind, thoughtful, and helped us get what we wanted out of our trip at every turn. From advice on nearby sites, food, and activities to the amazing food, drink and live music at the hotel itself, we were never bored and always felt right at home. The room itself was as beautiful as it was comfortable and the snorkel gear (which we could take with us off-site) was a perfect inspiration to explore the region. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer!

Room Tip: Get a room with a private patio--they are huge and come with amazing views.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soliman Bay
Azulik
#19 of 95 in Tulum
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,215 reviews
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Jashita? Share your experiences!