“A Slice of Paradise”
Review of Hotel Jashita

Hotel Jashita
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Soliman Bay
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I thought of a rather lengthy review highlighting how wonderful Jashita is - from the quality of the rooms, the grounds, the beach, the service, the staff, the food, etc. But why waste time and bandwidth? Jashita is THE place to book your stay in Tulum if you want to get away from crowds, want to relax and be waited on and be surrounded by paradise. I have a very rough work cycle and so needed the relaxation afforded by Jashita. I'm already planning our return for next season!

Room Tip: There are several room options and prices that match accordingly; all are very clean, comfortable an...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Brandon D

Reviewed 7 March 2012

My wife and I were looking for somewhere warm to go in Feb/March timeframe - and having recently relocated to Colorado, thought of Mexico. Daily direct flights to Cancun from Denver made Yucatan an obvious choice.

Our taste is for smaller luxury/boutique hotels and Jashita looked to fit the bill.

We were not disappointed! The setting, facilities, outstanding and helpful staff all combined to make this a really memorable trip.

We really liked the well balanced traditional styles with contemporary and clean finishes of the rooms - ours was no. 5. While the bay was not visible from our terrace, tall palm trees and Bouganvila having grown up, it did make for a really private and natural setting.

We also enjoyed the combination of the natural environment and living trees integrated into the pool area, and covered terraces and deck areas.

The glass wood burning fire set outside looked great in the evening and provided a lovely scent of wood smoke (I love a good open fire), and was used to grill meat/fish during our stay.

Have to agree with another comment about breakfast, while being substantial and good quality - Fresh OJ, nice fresh fruit cocktail, yogurt, cereal, bread/pastries, and eggs cooked to your choice - after 5 days it would have been nice to see some alternatives - e.g. alternative breakfast meat or fish (rather than just crispy bacon), mushrooms, other fresh juice (mango, pineapple, grapefruit, tomato), fresh sweet peppers - yes I love breakfast!

Dinner menu was a simple international offering, but with a decent selection including some local specialities for most peoples taste I would say. Quality was good with fresh fish, meat, and vegetables, and the price was fair (not cheap), but with some nice touches of pickled vegetables and cream cheese to snack on. Live music one evening was really enjoyable.

Have to agree with another comment, the bath towels are small - but the beach basket and towels are excellent however.

Beach was really nice - sandy in most areas but with a fair amount of coral pieces (more in some places around the bay) which is to be expected in the location. Take reef shoes or thick sandals to best enjoy the rock pools and reef. Plenty of beach beds, and shade from thatched beach parasols for those needing a little less UV!

All in all a really relaxing and enjoyable stay, chilled out, read some books, swam, ate, drank (great margarita's)....... Just what we needed, a trip we will be repeating! Jashita is now firmly on our A list.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I had the opportunity to spend a week at the Jashita...it was delightful and beyond my expectations. What stood out the most was the staff. They were friendly and absolutely delightful! Luis ,Miguel ,Emanuel ,Laura , and Moises to
name a few! If you are in the mood for a peaceful getaway in a romantic setting...Jashita is it! it is very zen! The Sahara restaurant was excellent and Luis was an outstanding waiter! They were all excellent but Luis was stellar!

I will definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Marta59757
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Can't really say enough about the Hotel Jashita in Soliman Bay. The rooms are perfect - the moment you walk in, you feel like you've really arrived on vacation. The bay is amazing, you can just walk out into perfectly calm, perfectly blue water and snorkel right outside your room, as well as sea kayak or just lay on a hammock and read a book. It doesn't get more relaxing. Also, Tommaso the owner is a really nice guy, who stops by to say hi to everyone, but never intrudes on your vacation. Gives this small hotel a little of a B&B feel, instead of these massive properties you'll find in places like Playa del Carmen and even some in Tulum.
One caveat: a few people have booked this hotel, thinking they're in Tulum proper. It's not. It's not a bad thing, it's just something to consider, it's about what you prefer. As we rented a car, we had no problem driving the 11 Km to Tulum (and a little farther to some of the better restaurants on Beach Road like hartwood and el tabano), but if you have to take a cab back and forth, it can get a little expensive (about $20 US each way). A big advantage is that Soliman Bay is nicer than the waters of Tulum - much better for doing snorkeling and seeing fish. I actually liked the sand on Tulum's main beach a little more, but that's nitpicking. For us, we were only slightly inconvenienced by the driving in and out of town, but the advantages (better snorkeling, calmer water, this hotel's on the power grid, newer hotel with pristine rooms) outweigh the disadvantages (taxis, small travel time).
Overall, this is one of the nicest hotels we've ever been, HIGHLY recommend!

The restaurant is good, nothing special though,

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michael A
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I just can't say enough great things about this Hotel Jashita. I loved everything! The service was outstanding in every way. I felt welcomed as if I were staying at a friends home. From the moment I arrived I fell in love with the place. It's a place you can go alone or have the most romantic experience, it's up to you. Plenty of fun things to do or just lay on the beach. I had dinner at the hotel every evening and it was fantastic. The people of Tulum are warm and friendly and I cannot wait to go back. The owner of the hotel was not there at the time but his cousin Max was there and he was absolutely wonderful. Always making sure we were enjoying ourselves. Thank You Jashita for a most memorable vacation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Devonna C
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The entire experience at Jashita was amazing- every detail of our stay was thoughtful, comfortable, interesting, and lovely. It is absolutely worth the price (in fact, it's extremely reasonable for a luxury boutique hotel and all the amenities that are included).
The grounds and buildings were incredibly well planned- probably the most beautiful and seamless "indoor/outdoor" meld I have ever experienced- every detail of the landscaping was exquisite.
The rooms were beautifully appointed, the food at the restaurant could not have been any better.
You have unlimited hot water and electricity- a rare treat in this area, that is still fairly rough. Soliman Bay is shallow, warm and perfect for snorkeling- another unique aspect in this area. The location is perfect for excursions in every direction.
It was so much better than any big resort or B&B, but had all the positive elements of each.
The staff were lovely- relaxed, happy, engaging- treated everyone warmly and with so much personal attention.
Tomasso, the owner made sure everyone felt welcome and happy! He runs a great place, clearly working hard to make sure every detail is perfect.

Its all very European, which is so classy and beautiful, but the lack of native culture (in the decor/food) was a little surprising- not in a bad way, though.
I'd rather be here than some Disney-fied version of Mexico. Perfecto!

Room Tip: They are all spectacular.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vallievenstar
Reviewed 15 February 2012

You cannot fault the staff of this place - they do their best to ensure you have a great time and nothing is too much trouble. We didn't get the best weather when we went and the owner Tommaso was not around (we hear he is the man who really makes this place memorable!) Some friends of our recommended Jashita to us and had the most amazing time. I think had the weather been better and Tommaso around we too would have reported back as this place being as good as they rated it. That said, I was disappointed with the bay. I was expecting perfect white sand, instead it was coarse and hurt your feet when walking on it (call me a softy) Not being into diving or snorkelling it was wasted on me as the water was incredible BUT I far preferred the beach at Tulum. Soft white sand and glorious water (when not too windy and wavy!) We actually ended up going to Tulum beach pretty much everyday, more to see and do and better beach. I guess if you want lots to see and do on the beach you go to Tulum not Jashita. That was our mistake. It is a peaceful location at Jashita and apart from the guy up the beach who does amazing lunches (fresh fish/BEST magaritas around) there is little else to do apart from eat at Jashita. The food here is good and great cocktail menu. The italian dishes were really good. Especially lobster spaghetti and the tuna carpaccio. Breakfast became a bit boring after day 4. yes you can have your eggs cooked different ways but the choice I found was limited. The rooms are lovely, spacious and huge balcony with own plunge pool and sun lounger. Our sea view was 'limited' we could just about see the sea but otherwise didn't really have much of a view. We were above the kitchen and the noise sometimes got to us and had we been able to lie in (we couldn't - up every morning 8am because we just woke up at that time) I'd have been annoyed as I'm sure it'd have woken us. Also, the bath towels are way too small and they need to provide loo brushes!!! The rooms are nice but not amazing. I wasn't blown away and the sheets were scratchy, for the price they charge I'd expect pure egyptian cotton (maybe I'm too damn fussy I don't know!)

Overall it was a great place to stay and if you want total isolation, romance and love diving and snorkelling this place is for you. If you want the white soft sandy beaches that you chill out on and watch the world go by then this isn't the place for you. Go and stay in a beach bungalow in Tulum. We sunbathed at Ziggy Beach and I checked out the Bungalows and was kicking myself as I wished we had done half the trip at Jashita and half the trip here in Tulum. In my opinion better value and better location/beach. Definitely need a car too when staying at Jashita. Oh and watch the cops and the army. They are brutal - pulled us over so often and then extracted cash from us for not having car documents with us (our own fault) but we essentially just paid them off ! It was quite frightening when we didn't stop for the army one night (we didn'trealise they were flagging us down) and they drove infront of us and blocked us in and surrounded us with guns ! .. quite an experience.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7 and 8
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank REH77
snapper69, General Manager at Hotel Jashita, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2012

Dear REH77 here I am!!
Just got back from Italy and while I was away look what happened! I understand your point of view, but please give me the opportunity to explain. For sure Jashita was not your place, and not because I was not there or the weather was no good, if we knew you were not a fan of snorkelling kayaking and a lover of secluded places immersed in pure nature we would have recommended Tulum beaches. I personally love that area, it was breath taking some years ago when you walked for miles and there were only a few hotels. Look now, there is one next to the other, more or less all the same, people walking everywhere, no privacy at all. Yes the sand is thinner, but after 2 hours of sunbathing what do you do? Go for a swim? The sea is rough most of the year with big waves, can’t snorkel, no kayaking but personally speaking the wind that never stops is the most annoying part. It’s amazing for kite surfing yes, that’s where I take my kids for kite lessons and they love it!!
I think you should have admired the beauty of the reef even if you are not a fan of snorkelling, it is really worth it(more or less like going to Chichen Itza, even if you are not a fan of archaeological sites it’s a must!). For sure you missed the walk on the left side of the hotel on the small lagoon right on the point where you can admire many species of birds like flamingos, spoonbill, the ibis just to name a few, we hosted a couple of photographers of the National Geographic last year. And of course you can sunbathe on the beach with just a breeze, not disturbed by anyone, very secluded. And if you wish to go and spend the day in Tulum beaches which I always recommend you just take a taxi or drive to Tulum, only a few minutes away.
Regarding the noise you heard above the kitchen it could have been the shutters of the restaurant that waiters open in the morning. Probably they didn’t pay attention, but the hotel rooms have been built with thick walls with soundproof materials so it is quite difficult to hear noises but it can happen, and rarely the kitchen stays open after 9pm.
We don’t put loo brush not because they are expensive but because we think that you pay enough to let someone else do the job. But if anybody asks for loo brush we provide them.
And your last complaint about the Egyptian cotton we should have, I don’t really know, I think you can find the answer in the many reviews posted from other guests, all I know is that we use pure linen sheets, much more expensive than any cotton.
If you happen to come back to Tulum I invite you to spend the day here and I will personally show you the beauties that surround the hotel and I’m sure you will understand why your friends suggested you to stay at Jashita!
Thank you.

UNICO 20.87 Hotel Riviera Maya
Blue Sky Tulum
Blue Sky Tulum
#2 of 2 in Soliman Bay

Been to Hotel Jashita? Share your experiences!