“Isolated Paradise”
Review of Hotel Jashita

Hotel Jashita
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Soliman Bay
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a week in Mexico. Our room was wonderful - 1st floor with perfect sea view. The restaurant served an excellent breakfast, though we thought lunch was a limited menu, and we had much better Tacos elsewhere. Dinner was delicious though anymore than 3 nights there it might be difficult to find enough choice. Given how relaxed we felt, driving to Tulum itself for dinner was too much effort! The massage was excellent and not overpriced. One point to mention that commends the hotel the most is the service - everyone knew us by name and nothing was too much to ask for. The beach is nice, but swimming is not easy as the reef means the sea is never more than about 5ft deep anywhere! So don't expect to be doing much actual swimming. We took the snorkelling kit supplied with each room which was fun.

All in all a wonderful hotel, very tastefully done and would recommend for 2 nights of isolated relaxation before heading to Tulum to enjoy the better beach and varied restaurant selection.

Room Tip: Room 23/24 - 1st floor sea view.
2  Thank RupertPaul

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We loved Jashita; a perfect end to a great holiday! We stayed for 3 nights after touring around and once we got there we did not get back in our car until we were headed for the airport and that really is not like us at all. There was a real sense of belonging and being looked after from the great reception staff to the waiters and cleaners - a real team approach. This plus great design throughout the hotel lends itself to such a calm vibe.

We had stayed 3 nights in Tulum before we got to Jashita and whilst the beach in Tulum had the edge it was not peaceful and relaxing like Soliman Bay, nor was the water as calm or warm. If we come back to the area we would definitely stay again.

A special thanks must go to Clemente who looked after us from the minute we arrived and was such a lovely man. We had several lovely surprises during our stay and felt really spoilt.

Food in the restaurant was really good and well priced for the quality and the pace of the night was good, with the lounge and dining room filled with candles. There were always nibbles before dinner and the spiced carrots and onions were top! One evening there was an excellent flamenco guitarist and Hang drummer duo on which was really relaxed and interesting (especially as Bob is a drummer). Breakfasts, as all reviewers mention, was top notch and set you up for the day.

If you need it, the WiFi worked well in our room and in the restaurant.

2  Thank Bob+Diane
Reviewed 15 February 2014

If you're looking for a classic warm, tropical vacation of calm, beauty and luxury, you just cannot go wrong with this place. People like me, who use this site to exhaustively research where they are going to stay, stay here. Notice there are no terrible reviews, not one.

My husband and I were looking for an un-corporate, bohemian/eco but upscale experience. It's actually a hard combination to get right. It's what most hotels in Tulum strive for but they succeed in varying degrees. This place has all the amenities you need, every single one, and none of the ones you don't. More than once, I said to myself, "They have completely thought this through."

We went to the hotel zone one day with some friends we made at Jashita (who had also done exhaustive research) and it really is so cool there, a world apart from Cancun. We ended up at BeTulum for drinks on the beach at sunset and it was wonderful. The main hotel zone is definitely worth a full day of hanging out, and the beach is fantastic, but we never felt like we'd made a mistake with Jashita. We were just so happy to come back. Even the Bali theme, which sounded odd to me at first, totally works somehow. The staff is warm and kind, and the breakfasts are second to none (try the chaya juice and the eggs with chaya), so big you won't need another full meal again until dinner. Most days we ate on the restaurant's outdoor deck right on the bay.

There is no fitness center, no room service, no phones in the rooms. You don't need them because you are on the beach, sipping your pina colada, canoeing in the water, snorkeling or paddle boarding, reading your book. Maybe you're playing cards on your balcony card table, or taking a nap in your hammock. You are on vacation. You are really, truly on vacation here.

So just go.

OK, now my one piece of advice, and my one and only issue.

If mosquitos like you, bring mosquito repellant. This is the jungle, you can't fault them for this.

Now, one morning while sitting on my patio, a man came by spraying that hard-core insecticide they use all over Mexico and the winds blew it onto me. I immediately went inside, shut the sliding glass door, turned on the a/c and washed off my arms with soap and water. I would love to see a more eco approach to bug containment in the future.

Room Tip: We got an bayfront room and couldn't have been happier. Lots more room, and your own patio that...
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This hotel combines wonderful service, extremely elegant design and layout, and near complete calm, with an essentially perfect setting. I went in expecting the first three qualities but I had my doubts about the fourth. I knew the hotel would have the peace, tastefulness, and humane scale of a true luxury boutique hotel but I was somewhat unsure what to expect of Soliman Bay. I feared it might be too far from Tulum proper and that the grassy waters off the beach would be unsightly and unpleasant. I found that both concerns were entirely unfounded. It is quite easy, if a bit costly, to get a taxi to Tulum and its beaches but, in truth, much of Jashita's charm is its separation from Tulum. While the Tulum ruins and "scene" are worth a short day trip or two, the main Tulum beaches can be overly loud, crowded, and dirty. While only a few kilometers from Tulum's attractions, Soliman Bay is immaculate and almost entirely silent and empty. Not only are there no crowds, but very often there were less than a dozen people on the beaches of the entire bay. Furthermore, Jashita is at the far north end of the bay, which means that on one side of the hotel there is nothing but empty jungle. We could spend hours lying on Jashita's beach chairs and hammocks, walking along the bay, or snorkeling among the reefs free from any disturbance or annoyance. Exactly what you want from a tropical vacation. In this way, Jashita's distance from Tulum proper is purely positive.
As for the bay's shallow waters and grasses, I must admit that for the first half hour or so I was not a big fan. However, I quickly realized that Soliman Bay's beach is one of the most beautiful and enjoyable I have ever visited. The shallow waters created by the protective reef are warm, perfectly turquoise, and exquisitely calm. Furthermore, these waters are filled with a gorgeous landscape of coral that can be explored for days with the provided snorkel gear. It took a few minutes but I came to love the beach once I realized how easy it was to wade a few meters past the sea grass into the perfectly clear water filled with schools of colorful fish. The bay is something of a natural swimming pool. It just takes a little figuring out. If beach-entry snorkeling isn't your thing then you can take one of the kayaks or paddle boards out into the middle of the bay and snorkel around larger reefs or you can go out on Jashita's boat to the spectacular barrier reef. If you want to run into crashing ocean waves then you will prefer the main Tulum beaches; however, for everything else Jashita's beach really is more attractive than what we saw in Tulum. Its beach is cleaner, more serene, closer to wild nature, and offers much safer and more interesting swimming and snorkeling.

2  Thank Kåłøllūpeí æ
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I'm reluctant to write a good review because this hotel is so fabulous I want to keep it a secret!! But that wouldn't be fair to the lovely staff and owners. The rooms were perfect, the food delicious and the beach amazing. The asian minimalist decor and style of the hotel are a long way from the 'backpacking style' of Tulum. I'll be back as soon as I can!

1  Thank Lauren C
Reviewed 9 February 2014

When planning our honeymoon we did a lot of research into where we wanted to go and Tulum seemed to be THE place lots of our friends were recommending. We looked at various hotels and knowing how much we prefer a boutique style hotel JASHITA seemed to be the right choice. We certainly weren't disappointed and from the moment we arrived the whole vibe of the hotel felt relaxed and friendly. Tommaso the owner came and introduced himself straight away and was so helpful and even upgraded us for three nights to the honeymoon suite. We had a standard double room which was really lovely although it lacked some daylight due to it's location, but that didn't seem to matter as we spent so much time lying on the beach. The beach setting was just perfect and you could just spend the whole day watching the pelicans dive into the water to catch fish! The beach is on a coral reef bay and the hotel provide snorkelling gear, so it's well worth going out in the water as there are some amazing fish to see. The food in the hotel is also fantastic as well as the service and the breakfast was also delicious. The only thing to consider is that you are not in walking distance of any other good restaurants or shops and you would need to take a taxi or drive to Tulum or other hotels to get more options to eat. At first we thought this would be a little constraining and thought we should have chosen a hotel on Tulum beach, but after going there for the day we actually looked forward to coming back to the tranquillity and privacy of JASHITA. It takes about 15 minutes to get to Tulum beach and will cost you about £10 each way. If you do want to venture out a couple of places we would highly recommend to eat on Tulum beach are Posada Margherita and The Hartwood also check out the Playa Project, Hemmingway and Casa Jaguar.

1  Thank LondonSasLondon
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We finally had the opportunity at Jashita (as they tend to be fully booked up at peak times), we stayed for 5 nights in January and wish we had many more.
We stayed in the Cleopatra Suite and received a surprise upgrade to their Honeymoon suite!
The suites had perfect views of both the Soliman Bay and the Mangrove type shrubs on the other side teeming with Ibis and the occasional Crocodile.
The suites were super chic, well decorated and the outdoor space in each suite was at least three to five times as large as in enclosed indoor space. Both suites had modern, sleek bathrooms and the upkeep was excellent, the Sky TV was a welcome plus.
We were welcomed with a tour by the owner and a bottle of Prosecco and chocolates.

The staff were EXCELLENT! The staff make this place special---Starting with the front desk personnel including the manager Roxie, Laura and Abi to the waitstaff (Martin, Luis Primitivo, Miguel Cruz, Miguel, Jorghe, I think another Luis and I know I missed one or two more)--they were always smiling, always checking up on us, the service on the beach was equally attentive and friendly--wonderful people!

The restaurant was such a great mix of Italian and Mexican food--the best pico de gallo I had in Mexico, fresh home made Gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce, fish tacos to die for, fresh fish with guajillo sauce, excellent eggs with Chaya in the morning, a nice wine selection, locally sourced Gelato just to mention a few--the food was really delicious and very reasonably & fairly priced e.g. about $10 or less for a starter and about $25 or less for a non steak Main course--which is the same or less than the places in Tulum of similar grade. Dont bother going to Tulum to eat unless you have eaten the menu twice!
The staff also gives guests plenty of suggestions for meals including the fish/ceviche shack at the other end of the bay to the many choices in the Tulum area.
Roxie also arranged for a very good massage by their vendor Leo and his team, they have a small spa/massage room which was a welcome break for my tired bones.
There is a road to the highway and another side road to the ceviche shack....one can easily to their jog/run in this space as the beach itself is quite uneven.
The sandy part of the beach area was small but more than adequate but again Maldives Chic, every guest had a beach bed, pleanty ot towels, quick beverage service with a smile.
They had snorkelling equipment in each room, Cressi Sub which is a good goggle maker! They also had several sea kayaks and paddle boards which were perfect for exercise in the extra large bathub called Soliman Bay
Snorkelling was quite good, LOTS of different species of fish--I saw a Barracuda, a sea centipide, lobsters, lots of Pelican hang around and are constantly fishing in the bay.
We even had an Iguana that lived above our room (they are generally herbivores) and she sunned herself on our rooftop.
You need to appreciate nature to truly enjoy this place.
We cannot wait to return and spend a whole week unwinding in this place.
Dont change anything, maybe add an exercise room for us city dwellers!

2  Thank earnyourrating
#10 of 101 in Tulum
Blue Sky Tulum
Blue Sky Tulum
#2 of 2 in Soliman Bay

Been to Hotel Jashita? Share your experiences!