“Cherry on the cake!!”

Black Firs Guesthouse
Black Firs Guesthouse
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago as we were going to the Chelsea Flower Show on the Orient Express from Birmingham International Station (my surprise Christmas present). I searched for a hotel nearby but was looking for one less corporate with a more intimate atmosphere. I came across the reviews for Black Firs and decided to book as they were so good.
When we arrived we were greeted by Julie and upgraded from the room allocated to a 'superior double' without even having to ask! From the minute we arrived to leaving 2 days later, we were made to feel so welcome and really well looked after. From the spotless room, lovely bedding and fab breakfast, Julie made sure our trip one to remember - she even shared a bottle of wine with us when we returned from Chelsea - she's definitely earned that 'Best Landlady' crown without a doubt.
I would definitely recommend this guest house over any of the hotels in the locality and will definitely return in the future - thanks a million Julie xx

1  Thank sandra_dale
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hello Sandra, Thank you for taking the time on your very kind review, Glad you both enjoyed the chelsea flower show, I enjoyed your company it was like meeting two good friends, would love to welcome you back in the near future, keep well, xx Julie.

There are newer reviews for Black Firs Guesthouse

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This has to be the best B and B Guest House that we have stayed at in the UK. We normally stay in a hotel when just overnight for concerts but on this occasion we decided on staying at a B and B as they are much better than hotels.We were greeted with a smile from Julie the owner who is a wonderful, warm and friendly lady who made us feel very welcome and comfortable. The room was beautiful, the bed very comfortable and very quiet and peaceful room. When we went to breakfast, Tracey who helps Julie, greeted us with a lovely smile. Breakfast was delicious with lots of choice of fruit juices, cereals, fresh fruits and a hot breakfast choice cooked to perfection including the toast. So many places do not seem able to actually toast bread properly, usually hardly toasted so tastes like warm bread, but Julie's toast looks and tastes like toast. Coffee was superb. All in all an excellent place to stay and if we ever plan to stay in the area again we would without hesitation give Julie a call. Thank you Julie for making our stay so enjoyable. Natalie and Kevin :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hello Lucy, Thank you for taking the time on your very kind comments, Glad you both enjoyed you concert, Hope to see you again on your next visit to Birmingham LG Arena, Warmest wishes Julie.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Booked a guest house as alternative to our usual 4* hotel .... Really pleased with the decision. Helpful advice on getting to and from the arena.
But the best was to come.......Breakfast
Two fabulous breakfasts way better than the hotel buffet usual offered at a hotel
Would recommend this for a trip to the arena.... But give yourself a bit of time to get there

Room Tip: Julie works long days .... Worth a call to talk about what she can offer to help;-)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello Lucy, Hope you are well, Thank you so much for your very kind review, I know you must be busy, Glad to here you enjoyed your concert, You know were we are if you visit Birmingham again, Warmest Wishes Julie.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I had to be quick with the booking as this establishment seems to enjoy a high occupancy rate because of the superb reviews. AA 4 stars and Julie was nominated to be the Most Friendly Landlady award . I was not disappointed when I got to there. It just ticked all of my usual check list: clean, quiet, a good bed and the car park thrown in. I was staying there on business and the easy access from the motor way was essential: ticked here, too. The property must have been a very nice family home and it still retains that feel of homeliness but managed with the professionalism. The lounge with a TV, a fruit basket and all comfy arm chairs is available, completely separate from the lovely breakfast room, which seems to be an extension with the windows all round overlooking the well maintained garden. (This would be a very useful space for a small conference of probably up to a dozen people. A very pleasant venue.) As to the bedrooms, as far as I could snoop around, they are mostly twins. Mine was. They are not that spacious, I must admit, however, decorated with a good taste and everything is kept in a pristine condition. In a compact bathroom with a shower cubicle, I found a generous collection of amenities. And it’s so quiet. I was there for 3 nights and never was I disturbed by any noise. My colleague from London said “It’s too quiet!” Breakfast – I can’t find any more words to praise it than so many that have already been posted in the past reviews. The Cumberland sausage was memorably good, and a vegetarian breakfast is available, too. I had my eggs both scrambled and fried, and looking at my colleague's poached eggs, too, I could see Julie was professional at it. No paper napkins, nor polyester table cloths. Julie’s pal, Stacey makes sure that everyone is happy in a very charming way. So all in all, I had a very pleasant stay and decided that this would be my first choice of accommodation if I am to be back in this area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review, hope to see to both again on your next visit to Birmingham N-E-C, Kind Regards Julie.

Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Myself & colleague are currently staying here, this is our 2nd and last night of our stay here whilst attending Best of Britain & Ireland at the NEC as we are owners of a 53 Bedroomed Hotel in St Anne's Lancashire. I am so happy that we decided to stay at black firs Guesthouse for the following .....
Fantastic Hostess who is warm and welcoming, tastefully decorated rooms (warm & comfy) the breakfast was outstanding and served with a smile, very attentive and beautiful garden. Thank you so much we will be returning next year

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Thank Thelangdaleshot... W
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Hello Leanne, Thank you so much for your very kind review, I wish you every sussex in your hotel, keep up the hard work, And hope to see you next year on your return visit to the N-E-C, best wishes Julie.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed overnight with my mother while visiting Crufts. Room (twin en suite) was clean and comfortable with hospitality tray and tv. There was also a lounge with large tv if required. Plenty of parking. Breakfast superb! Julie and Tracey were very friendly and gave us good clear directions to the NEC which is only a few minutes down the road. Would certainly go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank for your very kind comments, We do hope to see you again on your next visit to Birmingham N-E-C,

Kind Regards Julie.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed at Black Firs Guest House on 5th/6th March 2014 whilst attending Crufts dog show, it was a wonderful place and Julie was a superb host we would have no hesitation in recommending Black Firs to anyone, it was spotless, room very nice, bed comfortable and the breakfast well it was fantastic such choice and the quality of the food was 100%.

Julie is assisted by her sister and she too is a very good host and Clive Julies husband was very personable and helpful in advising us on where to eat our evening meals.

Thank you all at Black Firs, hopefully one day we will be back.

Room Tip: Every room is good so nothing to worry about.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank leader64

Hello, Thank you very kindly for taking the time on your comments about Black-Firs,
Hope to see you again when you visit Birmingham, Best Wishes Julie.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marston Green
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Grimscote Manor Hotel
Grimscote Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Coleshill

Been to Black Firs Guesthouse? Share your experiences!