“Perfect!”

Black Firs Guesthouse
Black Firs Guesthouse
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I couldn't speak highly enough of this wonderful guest house. My husband and I were here for three nights. The room was extremely comfortable, the breakfast was absolutely delicious and the service was so friendly and attentive. Look no further if you need to stay in Birmingham because you will not find better than this. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello Melinda and dale, Thank you for the very kind positive review, Love to here guests coming back to England after 31 touring around and catching up with family, With very warm wishes Julie, Thank you for choosing to stay at black-firs.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

It's the little things that make the difference here. Stayed there one night prior to event at NEC perfectly located for this. Julie could not have been more accommodating, made 3 phone calls to get us a table for dinner somewhere. The breakfast set us up for the day and her sister was also v.friendly providing us with a lovely service and the whole place was spotless. The bed was extremely comfortable and the little things that made the difference could be found in the bathroom with all the lovely good quality complimentary toiletries. Forgot your toothbrush not a problem, other half forgot his shaver not a problem, even a fluffy towel robe provided, not that I christened it, it looked v.happy hanging behind the door. I even got a phone call when I left to say I had left my sunglasses behind so proximity to NEC meant it was easy to pop back (thank you). Black firs is cosy and personal and for value for money has got to be hard to beat. Would stay again without hesitation and if for longer than 12 hours might even snuggle up in that bathrobe. Thank you Julie and sister (sorry can't remember your name) for perfect start to birthday surprise celebration weekend for the other half, we had a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: We requested quiet room and got a lovely view of the garden
1  Thank Debra T

Hello Debra, Thank you for your very kind review, Glad to here you enjoyed your concert at the LG Arena, And the Garden show at the N-E-C, Hope to meet you both again in the near Future Warmest wishes Julie and Tracey.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were in Birmingham for a 2 day visit to Gardener's World Live at the NEC (my birthday gift) and wanted to be close to the NEC but not on the airport and NEC site. We booked this guest house because of the previous guest reviews and were sooooo pleased we did. This has to be one of the best places we have stayed, Julie made us feel so welcome. The double room we had was spotlessly clean, the bed comfortable and overlooked the beautiful back garden, and the only noise was birdsong. The breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day. The guest lounge is great and we were able to share a bottle of wine and good conversation with Julie and another couple on our last night. A really lovely place to stay and would highly recommend this `home from home` guest house. Thanks Julie for making us so welcome.
Caroline & Keith

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden are quiet with no noise from the road.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Caroline and Keith ,Hope you both are well, Thank you for taking the time on your very kind review, So pleased to here you both enjoyed your stay, And your Trip to the BBC Gardner's World,Warmest Wishes Julie.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago as we were going to the Chelsea Flower Show on the Orient Express from Birmingham International Station (my surprise Christmas present). I searched for a hotel nearby but was looking for one less corporate with a more intimate atmosphere. I came across the reviews for Black Firs and decided to book as they were so good.
When we arrived we were greeted by Julie and upgraded from the room allocated to a 'superior double' without even having to ask! From the minute we arrived to leaving 2 days later, we were made to feel so welcome and really well looked after. From the spotless room, lovely bedding and fab breakfast, Julie made sure our trip one to remember - she even shared a bottle of wine with us when we returned from Chelsea - she's definitely earned that 'Best Landlady' crown without a doubt.
I would definitely recommend this guest house over any of the hotels in the locality and will definitely return in the future - thanks a million Julie xx

1  Thank sandra_dale
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hello Sandra, Thank you for taking the time on your very kind review, Glad you both enjoyed the chelsea flower show, I enjoyed your company it was like meeting two good friends, would love to welcome you back in the near future, keep well, xx Julie.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This has to be the best B and B Guest House that we have stayed at in the UK. We normally stay in a hotel when just overnight for concerts but on this occasion we decided on staying at a B and B as they are much better than hotels.We were greeted with a smile from Julie the owner who is a wonderful, warm and friendly lady who made us feel very welcome and comfortable. The room was beautiful, the bed very comfortable and very quiet and peaceful room. When we went to breakfast, Tracey who helps Julie, greeted us with a lovely smile. Breakfast was delicious with lots of choice of fruit juices, cereals, fresh fruits and a hot breakfast choice cooked to perfection including the toast. So many places do not seem able to actually toast bread properly, usually hardly toasted so tastes like warm bread, but Julie's toast looks and tastes like toast. Coffee was superb. All in all an excellent place to stay and if we ever plan to stay in the area again we would without hesitation give Julie a call. Thank you Julie for making our stay so enjoyable. Natalie and Kevin :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hello Lucy, Thank you for taking the time on your very kind comments, Glad you both enjoyed you concert, Hope to see you again on your next visit to Birmingham LG Arena, Warmest wishes Julie.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Booked a guest house as alternative to our usual 4* hotel .... Really pleased with the decision. Helpful advice on getting to and from the arena.
But the best was to come.......Breakfast
Two fabulous breakfasts way better than the hotel buffet usual offered at a hotel
Would recommend this for a trip to the arena.... But give yourself a bit of time to get there

Room Tip: Julie works long days .... Worth a call to talk about what she can offer to help;-)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Lucy, Hope you are well, Thank you so much for your very kind review, I know you must be busy, Glad to here you enjoyed your concert, You know were we are if you visit Birmingham again, Warmest Wishes Julie.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I had to be quick with the booking as this establishment seems to enjoy a high occupancy rate because of the superb reviews. AA 4 stars and Julie was nominated to be the Most Friendly Landlady award . I was not disappointed when I got to there. It just ticked all of my usual check list: clean, quiet, a good bed and the car park thrown in. I was staying there on business and the easy access from the motor way was essential: ticked here, too. The property must have been a very nice family home and it still retains that feel of homeliness but managed with the professionalism. The lounge with a TV, a fruit basket and all comfy arm chairs is available, completely separate from the lovely breakfast room, which seems to be an extension with the windows all round overlooking the well maintained garden. (This would be a very useful space for a small conference of probably up to a dozen people. A very pleasant venue.) As to the bedrooms, as far as I could snoop around, they are mostly twins. Mine was. They are not that spacious, I must admit, however, decorated with a good taste and everything is kept in a pristine condition. In a compact bathroom with a shower cubicle, I found a generous collection of amenities. And it’s so quiet. I was there for 3 nights and never was I disturbed by any noise. My colleague from London said “It’s too quiet!” Breakfast – I can’t find any more words to praise it than so many that have already been posted in the past reviews. The Cumberland sausage was memorably good, and a vegetarian breakfast is available, too. I had my eggs both scrambled and fried, and looking at my colleague's poached eggs, too, I could see Julie was professional at it. No paper napkins, nor polyester table cloths. Julie’s pal, Stacey makes sure that everyone is happy in a very charming way. So all in all, I had a very pleasant stay and decided that this would be my first choice of accommodation if I am to be back in this area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
julieelizabethmatthe, Owner at Black Firs Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review, hope to see to both again on your next visit to Birmingham N-E-C, Kind Regards Julie.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marston Green
The White House Quality Bed & Breakfast
Pebble Cottage
Pebble Cottage
#2 of 4 in Marston Green

Been to Black Firs Guesthouse? Share your experiences!