“Good old fashioned comfort and hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arden House

and 1 more site!
Arden House
Essex, Vermont
“Good old fashioned comfort and hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Found this small and friendly hotel by accident - what luck! Excellent location, Hosts so friendly and helpful. Beds very comfortable. Only showers as they are very eco minded, but they work well. Fantastic not to have to pack bathrobes particularly for a short business trip. Mini fridge in room with complimentary snacks, water etc. Little details made all the difference. Very clean. My evening meal (curry for me - lasagne the night before according to other guests) was good home cooking - & breakfast was excellent (I did not mind sacrificing a pork sausage as my poached eggs were cooked to perfection!) and the coffee was real and delicious. It is a 'House' not a 'Hotel' so normal house noises are apparent but I did not find them too bad and it was a full-house. Aircraft noise could be a problem for a very light sleeper who has the window open, but you can't have the convenience of being so close to the airport and no noise - and it definitely gets my vote over a chain hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

When we arrived at this B & B I must admit we were a little apprehensive as it is at the end of a new housing estate & looks like every other house. Once inside we were greeted by a very friendly Raj, who couldn't of been anymore helpful. Raj showed us to our rooms, recommended a country pub for us, booked a table & called a cab, he was great. The hotel is small but cosy, friendly and is so much more personal than larger hotels. Our bed was comfy, room was clean and well equipped. Lovely toiletries were in the bathroom, bath robes & slippers, hairdryer and a selection of drinks and snacks in the mini fridge.
Breakfast is good, no pork, but this was no big deal for us, actually the beef sausages were delicious.
I would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone staying near the NEC.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

I stayed over at this village hotel for one night and I liked it  The room was really nice..all rooms have a captivating ambience with their individual Shakespearean character theme. I enjoyed my stay; complimentary internet access via wifi, complimentary mini bar with snacks and cool drinks, complimentary homemade biscuits, television, en-suite and more to keep me occupied using the guide-book or by asking staff for help! (There is also an accessible and fascinating library/lounge which is comfortable).

Meals were fantastic and served well – impressive.

In terms of customer services; staff are hospitable, knowledgeable and friendly – very good.
Ample parking and designated smoking area which I found convenient.

Everything was simple; from booking the room to checking out – definitely recommended!

Room Tip: I would recommend the Hamlet as I viewed it and will choose it next time :-)
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

Couldn't help but notice how friendly raj was which was a nice start to my day, so after checking in I found my room had everything i needed although it was quite hot but radiators we're off, anyway opening a couple windows soon sorted that problem out but come night time I didn't leave my windows open for long due to the sound of airplanes taking off. I'd certainly use ear plugs if your a light sleeper like me.

Lack of parking was a little frustrating especially when arriving back after a day out, there's some room for cars but not many so you'll have to ditch it on the pavement.

Morning came and down i went for breakfast which was nice and quiet with a member of staff who to be honest seemed a bit quiet too or as if it was a pain she was waiting for me? Anyway i said hello and all the usual good morning gestures to recieve nothing in return, anyway, she finally spoke to me when asking what I would like to have from the menu. I asked for the full English. Unfortunately full it was not, beef sausage instead of pork and no bacon was sadly missed..

After breakfast I got back into my room and packed my stuff to checkout, quickly making sure I hadn't left anything as you do in any draws etc THEN upon looking under the bed I found two used condom wrappers and tissues which was utterly disgusting and made me wonder how the cleaners who supposedly cleaned my room before I stayed in it had missed this.. Well after that delightful sight I just got my things and left..

There's too many bad points for me to warrant staying there again!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Gregs83
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Having recently stayed at Arden house, when first arriving from the outside my thoughts where it seemed clean and friendly.

The room: a perfect size and it was very clean, however it was incredibly hot in our room and even with windows open it didnt seem to help that much, and couldnt keep them open for to long because of the noise from the airport, we found out the reason why the next day our room was sooo hot because we was next to the boiler room!

Breakfast: There was choices of yoghurts, cereals, but i did come across a very stale crossiant which wasn't very nice, I chose to have a cooked breakfast which was ok - some bacon and a pork sausage would of been nice though.

Location: i had booked tickets for an event at the NEC and the location was perfect.

When I have stayed at other hotels, yes ok you give your card as DETAILS to hold and secure the booking, what you don't expect when checking out is that they already have taken your money out of your account the day you turn up for your stay, normally you pay when you check out the hotel. I wanted to change my card option but never had the opportunity to do that as payment had already been taken....Thats very bad!!

Also, didnt get asked if everything was okay with our rooms, if we had a nice stay, to me that is very unfriendly!!!

I wouldn't rate this as a 4 star B&B.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicandjen33
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

Upon my arrival at Arden house it seemed clean and friendly,
I'd booked tickets to watch a concert at the NEC and the location was great - Unfortunately these are the only positive things I have to say about this B&B.
Upon entering my room i couldn't help but notice how hot it was. I turned down the radiators and opened both windows but couldn't keep them open as the noise from the airport was very very loud.
Breakfast in the morning was quiet and the table was nicely decorated.
My experience with the self service breakfast which was next to the kitchen wasn't very appealing as although there was plenty of choice, there was also plenty of stale croissants and out of date curdling apple juice. Despite now not feeling hungry I opted to have a cooked breakfast which was ok despite not having bacon or pork sausage.

All 3 members of staff i came across lacked any people skills to be honest!

Definitely not a 4 star in my opinion
Would not recommend it and definitely would not stay there again!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CharlLois
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

It's our 18th wedding anniversary we arrived at Arden house at around 5 in the evening.It was not at all what we expected we had the picture of a bigger place in our minds,we were in two minds whether to cancel our booking and go on to a bigger place as this guest house did not have a bar and my husband being a lover of beer wanted a place to stay where it wouldn't be too far from from a place to drink and not having to drive . After talking to Raj( who I have to say is a very helpful host) layed on a complimentary bar and assured us that we would love our stay at his guest house and he was right . Very comfortable accommodation and wonderful homely service . Would we stay there again? I'd have to say we definitely would I loved it and my hubby loved it too see you soon raj and our love to you and your lovely wife and children too good luck in the future xxgood restaraunt recommendations x

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Genting Hotel
#5 of 117 in Birmingham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,243 reviews
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC

Been to Arden House? Share your experiences!