I stayed here with our practice manager whilst attending a conference at the NEC. I must confess that reviews on here, the website and the fact they had room availability when no-one else within ten miles from the NEC had any rooms made me a bit apprehensive.
This establishment is run by an older Sikh gentleman and his son. The welcome was warm and genuine. Check-in was quick and friendly. I was told by a Sikh colleague that hospitality is a fundamental part of Sikh culture and I have to say these guys are just that. They are two lovely, happy and frendly people.
The room (number 7 on the ground floor) was spotlessly clean and warm, if a little bland. The view out of the window was poor with garden waste and old ironwork up against the fence. The TV didn't work but I was told this was due to a local broadband upgrade causing problems in some rooms. But the shower was lovely, water warm and good strong flow. Soft large towels and comfortable bed. Adequate drawer and hanging space for a one night stay. WiFi was adequate if a little slow.
I had left my phone charger at home and they happily found me a suitable one to borrow.
I slept really well.
The big surprise was breakfast. The Sikh son was the breakfast chef and the poached eggs and bacon were absolutely perfect. My colleague had the full English which looked good too. The cold buffet was a bit sparse but you can forgive this when the cooked breakfast was so good.
Taken in the context of what this place is, it's actually not bad at all. The warmth and hospitality of the hosts, and the breakfast, really made it for me. If you're staying here, look beyond the slightly faded first impression and you'll be happy enough.
My tip to the owners:
1) Resurface the car park and refurbish the front of the hotel.
2) New contemporary style hotel carpets and a few pictures in the rooms.
3) Tidy up the space outside room 7 - a couple of small planters and a climbing plant against the fence will make a huge difference.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK) and Evoline ltd so you can book your Heath Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heath Hotel Birmingham
- Heath Lodge Marston Green, Solihull, UK