“Not bad if you are from lilliput!!”
Review of Heath Lodge

and 1 more site!
Heath Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marston Green
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed here on business recently. It is the first time I have stayed at this hotel which I used as the place I normally use was full.

On arrival, the parking was good and the owner was very welcoming. In fact, all the staff were very pleasant.

The main criticism I have of this hotel is the rooms (I say rooms as my colleagues single room was of the same type). Mine was a single room, and I can honestly say that I have never stayed in a room so small in my life. (The 'box room' I had as a child was wider!!) if you suffer from claustrophobia give this a wide birth...... No pun intended!!

To give you an idea of the width, I could touch both sides of the room with outstretched arms.
The wash basin was in the bedroom, which was due to the fact that the bathroom was so small as well.
The shower cubicle was so tiny I couldn't bend down to wash my feet, and I am of medium build. I didn't realise the made shower cubicles so small.

On a positive note, the breakfast was good.

In summary, the Hotel was overpriced for what it was, and I will not be returning.

However, great if you are from lilliput :-)

Room Tip: Avoid single rooms unless you are from lilliput!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Mr_F999
There are newer reviews for Heath Lodge

Reviewed 20 January 2014

booked a single occupancy room, this does not mean a single bed in most hotels, this is not a hotel, it is a bed and breakfast - a very over priced one at that.
I complained about the room and asked for a double bed to be told they are full, on realising the complaints I made about the room were valid I was offered other single rooms before other guests had arrived -I delclinded based on what I had seen already.

The walls and floors are thin you hear everything.
The rooms have been converted to a low standard.
Given a room the size of a shoe box.
Broken light by bed.
Light out in ceiling.
Kettle to be boiled on a window ledge.
No power at a desk to work from, told there should have been an extension lead.?

Take the time to look at photos of these places and read reveiws they can save a lot of pain.

A travel lodge is basic but at least you know what you are getting

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dave M
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Run by Raj, this small independent hotel provides spotlessly clean en suite accommodation at a reasonable cost.
The food was excellent in the evening and the breakfast was very good.
The staff are very friendly and the service is excellent.
The rooms are small, but perfectly adequate with a good hospitality tray and complimentary toiletries.
The bed was comfortable and I had an excellent nights sleep.
Sorry to keep using the word excellent, but it was!
The hotel is well placed for the NEC and Birmingham AirPort.
Thank you Raj and staff, we'll be back.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Stuart R
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed here for a week on business and was very impressed.

I found it to be very friendly, clean and excellent value. Decent food too.

I'd describe it as a homely place when away from home. Seemed to be plenty of people staying over for the NEC / airport too though. Recommend!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Plus points Basic hotel friendly helpfull staff, very good access to nec, rooms clean

Down sides . Small rooms, dirty carpets, thin walls u can hear every noisy from the other rooms beds hard and pillows almost useless. Overwhelming smell of curry in the downstairs reception and lounge area. Not a great place if a good nights sleep is essential for you to work the next day.

2  Thank Sarah F
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I had a bad experience at another hotel and was lucky the Heath Lodge could take me in. The owners bent over backwards to help. I eat evening meals and breakfast during my stay and found the food very tasty. My room clean and warm the tv did not work (did,t bother me as I read a lot) the shower was warm and powerfull.
I was attending the NEC and found that the hotel was close enough by car
I would not hesitate to stay here again

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here with our practice manager whilst attending a conference at the NEC. I must confess that reviews on here, the website and the fact they had room availability when no-one else within ten miles from the NEC had any rooms made me a bit apprehensive.

This establishment is run by an older Sikh gentleman and his son. The welcome was warm and genuine. Check-in was quick and friendly. I was told by a Sikh colleague that hospitality is a fundamental part of Sikh culture and I have to say these guys are just that. They are two lovely, happy and frendly people.

The room (number 7 on the ground floor) was spotlessly clean and warm, if a little bland. The view out of the window was poor with garden waste and old ironwork up against the fence. The TV didn't work but I was told this was due to a local broadband upgrade causing problems in some rooms. But the shower was lovely, water warm and good strong flow. Soft large towels and comfortable bed. Adequate drawer and hanging space for a one night stay. WiFi was adequate if a little slow.

I had left my phone charger at home and they happily found me a suitable one to borrow.

I slept really well.

The big surprise was breakfast. The Sikh son was the breakfast chef and the poached eggs and bacon were absolutely perfect. My colleague had the full English which looked good too. The cold buffet was a bit sparse but you can forgive this when the cooked breakfast was so good.

Taken in the context of what this place is, it's actually not bad at all. The warmth and hospitality of the hosts, and the breakfast, really made it for me. If you're staying here, look beyond the slightly faded first impression and you'll be happy enough.

My tip to the owners:

1) Resurface the car park and refurbish the front of the hotel.
2) New contemporary style hotel carpets and a few pictures in the rooms.
3) Tidy up the space outside room 7 - a couple of small planters and a climbing plant against the fence will make a huge difference.

Room Tip: If you can, choose an upstairs room at the back of the hotel. These are quieter and have better view...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marston Green
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#25 of 118 in Birmingham
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport

Been to Heath Lodge? Share your experiences!