“The Long Night”

The White House Quality Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I've noticed a number of recent positive reviews about this Guest House, but unfortunately my experience was not as enjoyable.

I arrived at about 6pm to be led upstairs, down a dark, unlit corridor to my room, which was clean enough if a bit dated.

My first bone of contention was the toilet, which had some unpleasant marks at the bottom of the basin. I can understand how anyone cleaning the toilet might have missed this, as the cistern had one of those ghastly blue tablets, which makes it virtually impossible to view the toilet bowl. The rest of the bathroom was OK, although there was a layer of grime at the top of the -very handy- shower caddy. The shower itself lacked oomph, but did the job.

I had a very bad nights sleep, which was due in the main to the very warm and oppressive weather that we had in July. The bed was comfy enough, but I had to sleep with the window open, and as the B & B is situated very close to Birmingham Airport, it meant that my sleep was severely interupted by the steady flow of airport traffic. Perhaps outside of the summer season, this might not be so bad, especially if you can get away with the window being closed.

Breakfast was not great either. I came downstairs to find one table set, so I plonked myself down. There was already some toast there, which I assume was meant for me, together with a glass of fresh orange, but when I lifted the glass, the place mat stuck to it. The cooked was OK, but I've certainly had better.

I didn't think £58 was particularly good value for this place and I certainly wouldn't rush back, although I'm always open to the fact that anyone can just have one of those experiences, but as someone who travels a lot, I found the whole place tired and dated.

I also tried the newly opened Indian restaurant in the village. Once again, I was left disappointed, as my lamb dish was quite obviously re-heated meat which was tough and a bit grizzly. My poppadoms were fine! The two guys opposite me had a mountain of food and seemed to enjoy it. Perhaps I was just unlucky with my dish, although I expected better from an Indian in Brummie land.

Room Tip: Not really. My room overlooked the well maintained back garden, and was quiet [apart from the aforem...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
ebonybo, Owner at The White House Quality Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

It is obvious from reading your review you set out to find something wrong with everything you could think of. It is not my fault you were hot in the night and chose to book into a B&B close to the airport. Try an hotel next time it may be more to your liking. You are obviously a very difficult person to please - even the Indian Restaurant didn't please you. I am not wasting my time making any more comments on your nasty review.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

What a cosy, comfortable and clean B&B this is. I was alone in a family room with 2 single beds and 2 sets of bunk beds and yet the room was still really cosy and lovely! (I am weirdly particular about these things!) I'm used to a double but the single bed was amazing, so amazing in fact that I didn't want to fall asleep and fought it as much as I could to enjoy the comfort!! I loved staying here even though I'm not used to traveling alone and would definitely go back if I was in the area again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed in a twin room costing £68 in total, including breakfast. It was a lovely, comfortable room and the owner, Carolyn couldn't have been more helpful. It was very convenient for the Airparks car park and subsequently the airport. Only negative is that the shower kept running hot then cold but we only stayed the night so we made do. We went into the local village and ate at a fantastic indian restraurant called Rasa. The breakfast in the morning was satisfactory - nothing special but certainly no complaints.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed here as the B&B that we prefer was booked up, We stayed in the room with the whirl pool which was lovely, the room was spotless as was the bathroom, the room lead onto the conservatory, if the weather had been warmer we would've probably used it. The breakfasts were ok, as massive fans of the Full English it was a little of a dissapointment portion wise, and having to share a jug of orange juice with other tables which was ok, but i'm not one for approaching another table whilst they're in the middle of eating to grab the OJ. If you're a light sleeper i would probably not go for this room as you can hear everything upstairs including guests rolling over in bed. Otherwise we had a lovely stay, the host was lovely, and we would come back again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Wonderful host Carolyn who accomodated our needs. Finding dinner locations close by was tough but there was a Chinese restaurant in walking distance and a pretty good fish and chip place. Carolyn was fine with us bringing food back and eat in the dining room. We had an early start time at the NEC on the first stay and she made sure we had some breakfast items ready in the fridge. There was a little corner wine store that was handy to get some beers etc.

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the street it is a very nice room with a really comfy bed.....I was sor...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe90Aurora
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I stayed at the White House Qulity Bed and Breakfast on the weekend of 23/25th November. Some friends and I were attending a show at the NEC. I booked this B+B due to its proximity to the NEC. When we got there we were welcomed by Carolyn who I had been very helpful with the booking in the first place.
The accomadtaion was warm and the rooms were perfect for us. The beds were clean and comfortable and the house was very very clean as well. Breakfast was excellent nicely cooked and very tasty with a range of teas coffee juices etc.
I would havde no hesitation in recommending The White house as a place to stay. Whether its business or pleasure. The guest house is ideally located to Marsdon Green railway station which offers easy access in and out of Birminham or further afield.
Well done Carolyn, TOP MARKS!!. We will see you again on our next visit.
Padraig Riordan,Glanmire,Cork City Ireland

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2012

A lovely clean, welcoming b&b, inviting from the outside and cosy inside. Stayed overnight while visiting Birmingham NEC for the crafting fair. Nice and easy to find just one train station from the NEC (Marston Green) and had a look on google map before travelling. Carolyn was the perfect hostess showing me around, arranging time I wanted breakfast etc. Had a good fill up the next morning with a delicious breakfast for my busy day ahead. Nothing was a problem for Carolyn, not even when I picked her brains for specific shops on the way back to the train station. I would definately book again when in the area......... maybe next years craft show ;-)

Room Tip: I am confident that all the rooms are as lovely as the one I stayed in -upstairs, front right
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo