“Service variable, grounds and public areas beautiful”

Royal Berkshire Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sunninghill
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed here over night and had a great time, the room is a bit average, looked like it had last been done up in the 80s. Absolutely lovely grounds and bar area, breakfast was stunning even if I did have to clear my own table. I would go back but I wouldn't pay £150 again.
One of the staff was a bit grumpy but the vast majority of them were great, chatty and stunning especially the receptionist who matched his attire to the furniture,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scribbit_Finhangle

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here just the long weekend gone for an event at the guards polo club. My main complaint is the breakfast! We arrived and there were filthy tables everywhere and nobody met us at the door to welcome us or seat us. Had to ask over and over for food for the buffet. When we asked were they under staffed they kept saying "we have 2 weddings". I'm sorry that's not my problem. There was a lovely girl with brown hair, can't remember her name, she was great doing all she could to make sure we were happy and constantly apologising for the slow service. Another blonde waitress had the worst attitude, everything she was asked for it was a sigh or a roll of the eyes.

To end all I can say as someone who works in a 5* hotel, more staff of you have a full house!! Guests should never be told there's a more important group than them.

Stunning setting! Gorgeous just a little more attention to service and your on a winner! :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sersh5
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We found a deal of £65 bed and breakfast, and we can safely say it was a total bargain. The hotel is very impressive and is set in amazing grounds with deck chairs, a huge hammock, giant chess, tennis courts etc. Staff are very friendly too and the small pool is quiet and lovely!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My fiance & I went here for a weekend away for my birthday, the whole weekend was lovely from start to finish. We had a package that included dinner, bed and breakfast. My fiance had mentioned it was my birthday, so the staff had left me a little birthday treat in the room, which was a nice touch and very tasty!

The evening menu was creative, we really enjoyed the fairground dessert, which included mini toffee apples, mini donuts, candy floss etc.

A wide variety of help your self breakfast. Staff were very pleasant and helpful the whole time we were there. We used the pool and sauna, which we were lucky to have to ourselves.

Excellent location a short drive to Windsor town centre.

We loved it so much we are considering having our wedding there!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

As we drove up the gravel path to the front of the hotel it all looked perfect and as expected. We were checked into a deluxe room but unfortunately it didn't look or feel very 'deluxe'. It looked like a standard double in need of a makeover. After a quick walk around the grounds we decided to have a drink in the bar which strangely had 'quiet please' signs on display so the atmosphere was a bit lacking. The drinks were expensive but that's to be expected. The next morning we couldn't get any hot water or run the shower and on phoning reception discovered that a couple of water pumps had broken the day before effecting all floors on our side of the hotel. Unfortunately the hotel didn't think this was worth mentioning in advance. They did find time to notify us about the filming of a hen party for an itv 2 programme however. On check-out we mentioned this and were offered a bottle of wine for our trouble with hindsight im wondering if we'd been expected to shower in it!
As this is a 4 star hotel I would expect better communication and contingency planning. We didn't accept the wine and the manager was called. The manager felt it necessary to mention numerous times that we had booked via groupon which I personally couldn't see the relevance. But clearly he
felt equates to the lesser the rate the lesser the service. We left a 4 star hotel uncomfortable and dirty but the manager said "it's not as though the roof blew off". 4 star service really?! With a questionably sincere smile he halved the bill and proffered his card "just in case we chose to book via groupon again" A genuine apology and use of bathroom with a hot shower would have been more fitting.

Watch out groupon guest's the manager's contempt was barely contained!

All other staff were friendly and professional to them I gather we were guests....not groupon guests!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nic0873
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Outstanding hotel , with wonderful
Grounds, and just as wonderful rooms.very spacious with all you would expect from a hotel of this quality.
Just one thing to be aware of, there are no lifts in the hotel,which could be a problem if staying on the 3rd floor as I was.
Having said that, I'm sure there would be a helping hand if needed !

Can't fault this hotel in anyway, and can't wait to return.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mikeybabe
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

The Royal Berkshire is a very nice hotel. It has a warm, homely atmosphere to it. The garden/ grounds are amazing. There is wifi in the rooms. Bed was comfortable. The atmosphere is generally very relaxing and calming. The hotel has bicycles that guests can use for free. It also has a basketball court, a beautiful fountain etc.

The only downside was the shower. On the day of our arrival, the water was cold. The shower temperature control is also a bit dated. All in all, I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Yimika
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Sunningdale Park
#5 of 5 in Ascot
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Royal Berkshire Hotel? Share your experiences!