“Short break”

Royal Berkshire Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sunninghill
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This hotel is set in extensive grounds which offer a pleasant stroll. Nice to see something different in respect of entertainment. An outside chess board and a croquet field. Some of the furnishings are a little worn and tired whilst you could argue this adds to the charm I personally was not convinced. There are no other pubs in the immediate area nearest one we found was about 2 miles away. Ideally situated if you are taking in a trip to Ascot races with the course about 2/3 miles away. Room was a good size but be aware( if we somehow get temperatures
like we had during July) there is no air conditioning and our room was exceptionally warm and stuffy. The hotel did provide a stand alone fan which helped. The breakfast hall was a shambles. It was difficult to get a table, with insufficient staff levels it was a struggle for those on duty to get tables reset and keep the self service maintained properly.

The breakfast was a reasonable selection with the finest large mushrooms and bacon with plenty of meat and little fat. However I must say the scrambled eggs were revolting (sloppy and sickly in taste) and the fried bread was soggy. In addition the cereal I had was near to stale.

That said I would go back as it offered excellent value and was set in beautiful grounds.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 967SteveC68

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

My husband surprised me with a romantic night away at this hotel. It was the most magical experience of my life. From the moment we checked in to this grand hotel the staff could not be more helpful. The lady on reception was a delight and all of the bar team were so friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the restaurant and the lovely manager Paul showed us to our table and came back over later in the evening to check how everything was. The food was sensational. We could not fault anything about the hotel. The bedrooms were fabulous and luxurious. Should be 5 star!!!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Dominie C
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I recently attending a wedding reception at The Royal Berkshire Hotel and stayed overnight.
Not only is the hotel breathtaking but the customer service we received was second to none.
When we arrived at the hotel our room wasn't quite ready so we were offered a drink in the bar - the service from the gentleman who served us was fantastic - very attentive and nothing was ever too much trouble.
The wedding reception was great as expected.
Before checking out the following day we went down to breakfast - we were served by a girl called Alex who was very friendly and again - nothing too much trouble. Great choice of yummy breakfast to set us up for the day. We also chatted briefly to the Food & Beverage Manager (Paul???) and again he was so friendly and attentive.

Can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Danielle v
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Booked through LEGOLAND as a 1 night, 2 day package. Only a few miles away and hotel looked like a lovely alternative to many of the standard run of the mill hotels on offer. On arrival we were very impressed and were made to feel very welcome. We felt a little under dressed for staying at such a grand venue after a tiring day at the park. Children enjoyed staying in 'The Spenser Suite' where they had their own adjoining room with TV. Grounds were lovely and the food on offer was fine - we ate in the bar in the evening as the formal restaurant looked a little too formal for tired children. Staff were very friendly if a little inexperienced at times (probably due to young seasonal staffing during holiday period). Would happily return to the hotel should we plan another visit - especially if we could secure the same room!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jez c
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I bought this deal on groupon for £99 for a 1 night stay with breakfast.
We arrived on Friday afternoon and had a warm welcome from the reception who quickly checked us in and gave us keys and directed us to our room. The room was lovely with beautiful scenic views over the gardens. It had everything we needed and an added extra was the iron and trouser press! Room was nice however could not shake the feeling that I would have been unhappy if I had paid full price for the room (£189pn) we unpacked our bits and headed to grab a drink in the polo bar. I asked for a Bellini, the barman searched around for the ingredients for about 5 minutes and then told me he couldn't make it as he had run out of something. I then asked for a glass of rose, again a big search went underway and he told me that he had just used the last bottle so would go and grab another. He came back 5 minutes later to say that the bottle was not chilled but I could have ice cubes...yay...he then asked me how many ice cubes I wanted!!!
My partner ordered some olives and he said he would bring them over, I had to remind the barman that he still had not given my partner his drink. We sat at a table In the nice lounge area and relaxed. Strangely enough the olives never appeared. We tried to track down the waiter however he had disappeared! We went to pay and the new barman had no idea what we had so we had to tell him. We asked to put the amount on the room but was told this feature was currently not working. They might be little things I am moaning about however for an expensive hotel I wouldn't expect these silly things to be present.
We decided not to dine at the hotel restaurant due to the lack of choice on the menu! (Try the tablespoon brasserie if you get a chance, few mins drive away)
The next morning we went down for breakfast about 8.30, and we chose a nice table outside. We wandered round and had to ask on of the waiters where we could help ourselves as we could not see the buffet. He clearly had not much idea what we were saying, and he replied with a confusing and not helpful response. Breakfast was very nice, however it seemed like the hot food had been sitting out a while. We had asked for a pot of tea and coffee and by the time we had got back it was waiting on our table, however no milk, sugar or even cups to be seen!? I went to where the food was being served and here was none here. I waited a few minutes then asked for these things to be bought over. I was getting more stroppy each mouthful I took and I finished my breakfast and then asked someone else. A few minutes later the First Lady I asked finally appeared with cups, hooray! Only 15 minutes it took to bring those over when we had both also finished our breakfast.
Overall a nice relaxing stay however was almost ruined by incompetent, young and inexperienced staff who don't quite appreciate the value of customer service. I wouldn't come back and pay the full amount as for. 5 star hotel I don't feel like I received the service or quality to match.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Excellent location, beautiful buildings and grounds, and main reception rooms refurbished to a very high standard and are very stylish. Only a small number of bedrooms however have been refurbished, and my dated room was in need of a new shower. Typical of the UK, my bedroom was unbearably hot during the hot spell. The food in the restaurant was good but the service, though polite and friendly, wasn't as good as it should be. For example, the hot starters came out first, and were going cold whilst we waited for the cold starters to be brought to the table. We had also had a long wait in the bar to order drinks. The bar man was very polite and apologetic about the wait but there were simply too many customers and not enough staff. In order to receive the five star review it should get it needs to refurbish all of the bedrooms and also employ more staff in the bar and restaurant.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank w0bblylegs
Reviewed 20 July 2014

As soon as we arrived at this hotel I knew we were in for a rare treat. We had booked two double rooms but at the last minute my babysitter let me down and I had to take my 8 yr old daughter along. The member of staff who dealt with us was extremely friendly and helpful. She upgraded both rooms and added an extra bed in each room within 5 minutes. After a good start we decided to take a walk around the 15 acres of grounds of this stunning hotel. I would have to say that it is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. There was a wedding taking place which did not interfere with our stay in the slightest. In fact it enhanced it as our daughters were invited to play on a bouncy castle that was hired. I think my girlfriend and I were happier than the bride and groom as we had one of the best weekends we have ever had. Loved our room and breakfast and all of the staff throughout our entire stay. Will definitely be going back. What would really make this even more perfect is an outdoor swimming pool but that is merely a suggestion rather than a criticism.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank darrencockle
Paul F, General Manager at Royal Berkshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for your very kind words.
It was our pleasure to look after you and your family recently.
I am delighted that you all enjoyed yourselves and will plan to visit again.
We can't promise an outdoor pool, though hope to have further outdoor games available including giant snakes and ladders, which will make for fantastic family fun!
Kindest regards,
Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
#5 of 5 in Ascot
Highclere Hotel
Highclere Hotel
#4 of 5 in Ascot

Been to Royal Berkshire Hotel? Share your experiences!