“On the whole....Very good”

Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sunninghill
GreenLeadersSilver level
london
“On the whole....Very good”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

As a birthday treat on New Years Day my fiancé surprised me with a night at this hotel along with a bit of spa pampering! Here are our thoughts....

Arrived to this glorious looking hotel, greeted by such elegant decor and an open fire! I absolutely loved the feel of the place! We arrived a bit too early so didn't expect to be checked in ...but the lovely reception gentleman found us an available room, so we didn't have to wait. Our room was superb. It was stylishly decorated and nice and big, we had champagne on arrival and a card wishing us a happy new year, which was lovely. We got changed and went to the spa! We couldn't have been treated better! All of the spa staff were 110% accommodating and so so friendly!

I had a facial which was AMAZING, although did feel like there was too much of a hard sell of the products afterwards which was a bit much.

The outside spa pool was fantastic! The various spa rooms (especially the aroma room) were extremely nice!

Where it starts to go a bit downhill is at dinner. We generally felt it was a bit too stuffy and slightly pretentious with the limited menu and the less than generous portions! I still felt hungry after my starter, main and cheeseboard! However, the quality of the food was spot on the duck was cooked perfectly and my partners steak and chips were amazing....Could just do with a bit more! It felt like the waiters were somewhat in the weeds! We were not asked if food was ok, we sat with empty glasses and no one was around to offer us more drinks! The waiter initially got my order wrong....but they also corrected their mistake pretty quickly so not a massive problem.

With regards to sleep, I was out for the count in the comfy bed but my other half was woken early in the morning by noise in the corridor.

Breakfast was really good and there was so much choice! I was full up after breakfast which is always a good sign!

On the whole we were very happy with our stay and came back feeling relaxed and ready to take on the new year!

My fiancé informed me of what great customer service that Jackie Bagnall provided when planning our stay! He was very impressed with her customer service and we both feel very valued as customers! Thanks very much!

Also.... Just to say that every single member of staff we passed in the corridors etc, always greeted us with a friendly hello! They were lovely!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jen86jen
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
I am really pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. Apologies if your expectations of dinner were not quite met. I have passed your feedback to my food & beverage team to review and action points raised where necessary. We pride ourselves on our friendly team here at the Berystede and I am really pleased they all made a difference to you stay.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Cambridge
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The good stuff, our classic room was lovely, nicely styled and perfectly acceptable. The common areas are very attractive and quintessential English country house, roaring fire etc etc.

The pool is the real jewel here the outdoor bit is fantastic and it's a proper pool where more than five people can be accommodated. Sauna etc great too and a fab gym.

Starts to go down hill though once you hit the restaurant. The service is chaotic - we waited 45 minutes for our dessert this wasn't a one off as in the bar we had long since drank our coffees before our pastries arrived. There was something going awry with the timing of food out of the kitchen it seemed - other couples were also waiting for sides etc. Food quality was patchy mine was great, hubby's was ' like a Toby car very' - desserts when we got them were only adequate.

Now the bad bit - I want to sleep in my bed in reasonable quiet, not possible in our room as the radiator clanked and tapped all night whether it was on or off. We slept terrible and were then woken by the cleaner at eight o clock. Sort it out ! And the bed was floaty and creaky too - not good. Room 118 btw.

So what should have been great and started well ended up with us pooped , breakfast was very good but we were grouchy so didn't really care !

Room Tip: Sick with the classic rooms in the new annexe
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GeordieJulie
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Happy New Year & thank you for reviewing your stay at the Berystede with us. Apologies if we did not get all aspects of your stay right for you - which we set out to achieve for every guest. Your comments are greatfully received and I will address the points you have highlighted.

kent
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Only stayed for one night with my two children and my husband as we were visiting Lapland Uk. We stayed in an executive family room which was plenty for our needs with all the little extra toiletries you'd expect in a hotel like this. The hotel has a very warm cosy feel from the moment you arrive and nothing was to much trouble.
We made good use of the spa facilities/pool which were lovely especially the thasotherapy pool. The hotel itself was decorated lovely for Xmas and we enjoyed lovely food by the fire place in the lounge, the bar area and in the restaurant, the breakfast was great and most of all, all the staff were extremely polite and very attentive. I would love to stay here again sometime.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MartinsKent
Thank you for a great review, it is wonderful to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay so much. Wishing you and your family a happy new year and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Berystede in the near future.
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Just had a fantastic meal in the bar with some close friends. The Barman looked after us the whole time. He was very polite and had a very professional manner that made us feel comfortable and special. The food was top quality and good portion sizes.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Thank you for reviewing your dining experience in our bar & lounge. Delighted you enjoyed the food & service you received. Both Jon our Head Chef & Dan our Bars manager have shared your review with their teams who were equally pleased to read how much you enjoyed yourself. Have a wonderful Christmas break.

Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We came yesterday for Sunday Lunch as my brother and his Fiance are due to be married at The Berystede in the summer of 2014 and it was a good opportunity for us to have a peak at where they had booked thier wedding.

We were a small group, that grew into a bigger group and at the last moment, we chucked one more person (me) in for good measure. The staff in the restuarant were very accomodating, especially with the alterations to our numbers. The food was fantasitic, well presented, well timed and particaully tasty. As a Manager in a hotel myself, you could say we in the industry can be particually critical of other establishments, however, I could not find a single fault!

We went on a little trip around the hotel to see the function room that they will be using, very impressive to say the least. Couldn't have a big nosey into the room as they were setting up for another function so we popped to reception to ask if we could have a look at one of the bedroom Suites, as my brother had not been able to see one yet. The young lady on Reception was very poite and helpful, explained the different types of rooms to us and let us take a look at them.

Looking forward to returning in the summer!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John W
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch experience with us last weekend. I am also pleased to read that you were able to have a quick look around the hotel whilst visitng prior to your brothers wedding. Thank you for you review, have a great Christmas break and we look forward to seeing you all in 2014.

Many Thanks,
Chelmsford
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My family and I stayed there about two weeks ago for a spa weekend. Amazing hotel when you walk in through the door lovely warm atmosphere and inviting. This hotel has a personal feel about it that makes you feel really comfortable, The staff were all very friendly and accomodating. A home from home feel.

Our rooms were imaculate, Dinner was lovel and spa treatments were amazing they had spaces for extra treatments if you wanted them which we did. Spa staff very welcoming and spa and pool were fantastic, The outside jaccuzzi pool was simply out of this world.

We would definately go back pity it wasnt longer

Room Tip: I doubt any room would be bad
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for posting such a great review of your stay. The team are looking forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the very near future.

Many Thanks.
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Great hotel , lovely room and good full English breakfast! Hot full of character and has spa although we didn't have time to use it. Only downside was the traffic noise from road junction outside. But having said that we will go back again!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank philip w
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and I hope you are able to stay with us again in the near future - make sure you have time to enjoy our great leisure club and spa as well!

Many Thanks,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
De Vere Beaumont Estate
De Vere Beaumont Estate
#2 of 2 in Old Windsor

Been to Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!