“Very poor management”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Very poor management”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We recently attended the New Year Ball and the experience from booking to the check out was poor. Booking - I rang the hotel and had to leave a message for Reservations to call me back. No reply. I rang them again - left another message - no reply. On the third occasion I managed to speak to Reservations and paid our deposit. No emailed confirmation. After several days I rang the hotel and asked for written confirmation. No email received. I rang again - still no email. On the third occasion I asked to speak to the General Manager. The Manager apologised and said 'leave it with me'. She rang me back 10 minutes later and explained that they'd had problems with their email - OK but that didn't explain the large black hole where all the messages disappeared. We arrived on New Years eve - the hotel was festive and had a good atmosphere. We enjoyed the afternoon tea which was a nice touch. We were a party of 8 but as we'd booked separately we doubled checked that we would be seated together - the hotel appeared to have no note of this despite our party taking much trouble at the booking process to ensure this would be organised. Unfortunately as my friend has noted in his review, despite our best efforts, the hotel only laid up the table for 6 of us and not 8. Chaos prevailed and we were all very upset and embarrassed. The General Managers were conspicuous by their absence - at no time did they come to our table and apologise personally to the group, including a couple who were seated with us and must have felt pretty upset too. I have never received such poor management response to a problem ever. We complained to the General Managers who said they would contact us the following week to respond to our complaints but as it's now 18th January I would suggest that this supports my view that the management are poor. I personally would never stay at this hotel chain again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank HaleySS
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you for posting your review of your experience at our New Years Eve ball. As we discussed at the time we are in absoloute agreement that this was not the start to your evening that we had planned and I apologise for the frustration and dissapointment this caused to all parties involved. In addition please accept my apologies if our pre and post event communication has not been as timely as we set out to achieve. As discussed on New Years Day I did say we would be in contact, your comments have not been forgotton and we will be in touch.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Went there on a last minute deal. Overall it was good value although dinner at the Hyperion restaurant was very average. Seems to be confused with the dining philosophy as it wants to promote itself as a fine dining restaurant but ends up serving grilled tomato and fried onion ring on its signature rib eye steak dish. The waiters were not very attentive with a few of them looking very green. Room was average but considering the deal, it was OK. Gym is well equipped with good machines and the spa was also nice.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vinny_C1983
Thank you for your review of your break at the Berystede Hotel & Spa. My apologies you did not find the restaurant met your expectations and I am pleased that you enjoyed use of our leisure club & spa. Your points made have been noted.

Best wishes,
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed in the MacDonald Berystede hotel on August 1st & 2nd and it was not a good experience. Apart from putting camp beds in the room for my daughters to sleep on and my older daughter is 13 and very tall; the cold water in the showers (which was a problem as we were getting ready for a wedding) and the additional items constantly added to our bill that should have been part of our package - the most upsetting part was I had a terrible fall in the changing rooms of the spa when I slipped on a pool of water and landed on my back and banging my head. I was not well afterwards and very bruised and it ruined the wedding I was attending the next day and my weeks stay in London as my back ached for the week. But the worst part was I was offered £4 compensation by the deputy manager and housekeeper on duty . they really had no interest or sympathy for me. Since then I have contacted the hotel on a number of occasions and they have never returned my call bar last week when I spoke to the new Deputy Manager who promised most sincerely to call me back on Wednesday as Customer Service was his priority and he failed to do so.

Overall I would say this hotel's customer service is deplorable and if something does happen to you while staying there they really don't want to know.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Anne C

Travellers are raving about these Sunninghill hotels

Sandhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had New Year's eve there, the food was excellent, albeit too much but lovely. Ambiance is pleasant and although the room was very full the food was served hot and quickly. We would go again but maybe do the family party next time

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay celebrating New Years Eve with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the party later this year - if not before!

Many Thanks,
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I got married at The Berystede on the 10th August of this year. I chose the Berystede because it is local to me and I am a regular visitor. Our complimentary Honeymoon Suite was beautiful. Reception staff were friendly and efficient. Our wedding for 80 guests was in The Windsor Suite which was decorated beautifully! I cried tears of joy when I seen it. We chose the Buffet option which was absolutely out of this world. All my guests commented on how delicious and plentiful it was. Raf and Cas and the other staff did everything possible to make the evening go smoothly. Breakfast the next day was in The Windsor suite again as upstairs was very busy. Martin the restaurant manager was really attentive and friendly. All in all a wonderful experience. Thank you to Amy my Wedding planner, all the restaurant staff, Steve at the bar. If you are looking for a beautiful venue with attentive staff then look no further.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Paula H
Thanks for taking the time to post such a fantastic review of your Wedding day at the Berystede. Delighted the team here provided such a wonderful experience for you.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed for one night to see the New year in at the "Hollywood Ball". Hotel is nicely located in a nice part of Berkshire. Reception check-in was fast, friendly and efficient, although we were booked under a party booking name, which they found a little confusing. We had a standard room overlooking another block of rooms and the car park, the room was was clean, tidy and reasonably well appointed, albeit it poorly lit and was fairly small and the bathroom was even smaller! The pool and spa are very nice, especially the choice of steam and sauna rooms. The bar was comfortable with a good choice of beers, wines and spirits, albeit like most hotels too expensive, and slow service due to just one bar person on duty. We attended the black tie Hollywood Ball New Year party as a group of 8 people, unfortunately the hotel organisers completely messed up the seating arrangements and tried to sit 12 people on a table that was laid out for 10. They then tried to add two more places (like trying to pour a pint into a quart pot!), which clearly wouldn't resolve the problem, by this time it was becoming embarrassing and awkward for our group of 8, who were standing waiting and waiting and waiting for the management to address the problem, every other table was seated by this time! Anyway after a lot of unnecessary huffing and puffing, and very little direct action by the management, another couple who were on their own and already sitting on our table volunteered to relocate to a table for two, which again made our group feel very uncomfortable. Unfortunately the poor planning, coordination on the part of the hotel spoilt the beginning of our evening, and although the seating problem had been resolved there was little or no customer service follow up by the general management - Very disappointing management performance. However, we 'stayed calm and carried on' and I must say the food was good and the rest of the evening went off without a hitch and a Happy New Year was had by all. Breakfast although very busy was good and there was a good buffet selection, we enjoyed a hearty breakfast. Overall the hotel and customer experience was at best average, and management attitude and customer service recovery needs looking at!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bob N
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for your review of your stay and function at the Berystede Hotel. We are in absoloute agreement that this was not the start to your evening that we had planned and I apologise for the frustration and dissapointment this caused. As discussed at the time and during your stay we will be in contact with you shortly to discuss further. Thanks for your comments and review of our accommodation and wider facilities within the hotel - all feedback recieved is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
london
Reviewed 2 January 2014

As a birthday treat on New Years Day my fiancé surprised me with a night at this hotel along with a bit of spa pampering! Here are our thoughts....

Arrived to this glorious looking hotel, greeted by such elegant decor and an open fire! I absolutely loved the feel of the place! We arrived a bit too early so didn't expect to be checked in ...but the lovely reception gentleman found us an available room, so we didn't have to wait. Our room was superb. It was stylishly decorated and nice and big, we had champagne on arrival and a card wishing us a happy new year, which was lovely. We got changed and went to the spa! We couldn't have been treated better! All of the spa staff were 110% accommodating and so so friendly!

I had a facial which was AMAZING, although did feel like there was too much of a hard sell of the products afterwards which was a bit much.

The outside spa pool was fantastic! The various spa rooms (especially the aroma room) were extremely nice!

Where it starts to go a bit downhill is at dinner. We generally felt it was a bit too stuffy and slightly pretentious with the limited menu and the less than generous portions! I still felt hungry after my starter, main and cheeseboard! However, the quality of the food was spot on the duck was cooked perfectly and my partners steak and chips were amazing....Could just do with a bit more! It felt like the waiters were somewhat in the weeds! We were not asked if food was ok, we sat with empty glasses and no one was around to offer us more drinks! The waiter initially got my order wrong....but they also corrected their mistake pretty quickly so not a massive problem.

With regards to sleep, I was out for the count in the comfy bed but my other half was woken early in the morning by noise in the corridor.

Breakfast was really good and there was so much choice! I was full up after breakfast which is always a good sign!

On the whole we were very happy with our stay and came back feeling relaxed and ready to take on the new year!

My fiancé informed me of what great customer service that Jackie Bagnall provided when planning our stay! He was very impressed with her customer service and we both feel very valued as customers! Thanks very much!

Also.... Just to say that every single member of staff we passed in the corridors etc, always greeted us with a friendly hello! They were lovely!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jen86jen
I am really pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. Apologies if your expectations of dinner were not quite met. I have passed your feedback to my food & beverage team to review and action points raised where necessary. We pride ourselves on our friendly team here at the Berystede and I am really pleased they all made a difference to you stay.

Best Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Hilton Bracknell
#5 of 7 in Bracknell
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa

Been to Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!