“Weekend spa break”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wanborough, United Kingdom
“Weekend spa break”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff. Restaurant food is beautifully presented and very high quality. Attentive service. Lovely swimming pool and spa. Quite quiet on a Friday afternoon, but although busy on Saturday afternoon still plenty of room to swim. The hotel was very full Saturday but the hotel was well prepared for a busy breakfast and we had no problems with service. Restaurant staff were as professional at breakfast as they were at dinner. Enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are away from the main thoroughfares so very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gay2
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thanks for your review of your stay, delighted you enjoyed your break and we look forward to welocming you back to the hotel in the future.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had our wedding reception here in December and it was so much more than we could have hoped for! Amy, the wedding co-ordinator, was simply amazing. She did so much to help and support us throughout, she never once said no to anything and everything was done with a smile. She's brilliant!

We were really lucky in that we were able to use the hotel's main restaurant for our reception which was excellently positioned for the bar and the lounge area for our older guests to relax in away from the music. The hotel looked stunning in it's Christmas decorations, but is a beautiful place without them anyway. Everyone commented on how lovely the food was, and it was as excellently prepared and presented for our 80 guests as it had been for just the two of us on our tasting evening.

The spa facilities are second to none! Sitting outside at 10pm in the heated pool was so relaxing the night before the wedding, and a great place to unwind again the morning after!

I can not thank the Berystede and all the staff enough for our wonderful day!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original hotel, it's must closer to everything and got the old charm, rath...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BasingstokeJMH
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you for reviewing your wedding day spent with us at the Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa. We certianly enjoyed hosting your wedding and I am so pleased to read that the team here looked after you so well making your special day so enjoyable for you both. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you both back to the hotel in the future to stay again.

Best Wishes,
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Treated to this stay by my partner as a Xmas present. Hotel was great, clean and tidy, comfortable and quiet room, despite the hotel getting busy on the Sunday.
Staff were all friendly, polite and helpful and service good.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to review your experience.

Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Really was looking forward to this stay check in was swift room was just ok really poor glazing road noise and looking out to green stained window ledges. Afternoon snack of beefburger, and a baguette for the wife with two soft drinks £30 stop off before you get there, it's not worth it let alone the price ok if it's good you can get away with it, pool and sauna's were good, pre dinner drinks was a quiet affair bar empty maybe a cocktail and a Guinness at £15 has a lot to do with it, meal was good but the sparse selection was insulting two dishes to choose from and a veggie option. Overall just ok

1 Thank thedon23
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It seems that you are particularly dissapointed with our food & beverage offering and pricing. We do ensure that we are competitively priced and have a comparable offering to other 4* hotels locally and also review pricing and product offering regularly against them. With regard to our restaurant menu it is far more extensive than described. Due to the quality of the produce we purchase into our kitchen some dishes on our menu do carry small supplements should guests dining wish to select them - at no point is the full menu restricted to any guest.

London
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We recently attended the New Year Ball and the experience from booking to the check out was poor. Booking - I rang the hotel and had to leave a message for Reservations to call me back. No reply. I rang them again - left another message - no reply. On the third occasion I managed to speak to Reservations and paid our deposit. No emailed confirmation. After several days I rang the hotel and asked for written confirmation. No email received. I rang again - still no email. On the third occasion I asked to speak to the General Manager. The Manager apologised and said 'leave it with me'. She rang me back 10 minutes later and explained that they'd had problems with their email - OK but that didn't explain the large black hole where all the messages disappeared. We arrived on New Years eve - the hotel was festive and had a good atmosphere. We enjoyed the afternoon tea which was a nice touch. We were a party of 8 but as we'd booked separately we doubled checked that we would be seated together - the hotel appeared to have no note of this despite our party taking much trouble at the booking process to ensure this would be organised. Unfortunately as my friend has noted in his review, despite our best efforts, the hotel only laid up the table for 6 of us and not 8. Chaos prevailed and we were all very upset and embarrassed. The General Managers were conspicuous by their absence - at no time did they come to our table and apologise personally to the group, including a couple who were seated with us and must have felt pretty upset too. I have never received such poor management response to a problem ever. We complained to the General Managers who said they would contact us the following week to respond to our complaints but as it's now 18th January I would suggest that this supports my view that the management are poor. I personally would never stay at this hotel chain again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank HaleySS
Thank you for posting your review of your experience at our New Years Eve ball. As we discussed at the time we are in absoloute agreement that this was not the start to your evening that we had planned and I apologise for the frustration and dissapointment this caused to all parties involved. In addition please accept my apologies if our pre and post event communication has not been as timely as we set out to achieve. As discussed on New Years Day I did say we would be in contact, your comments have not been forgotton and we will be in touch.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Went there on a last minute deal. Overall it was good value although dinner at the Hyperion restaurant was very average. Seems to be confused with the dining philosophy as it wants to promote itself as a fine dining restaurant but ends up serving grilled tomato and fried onion ring on its signature rib eye steak dish. The waiters were not very attentive with a few of them looking very green. Room was average but considering the deal, it was OK. Gym is well equipped with good machines and the spa was also nice.

3 Thank Vinny_C1983
Thank you for your review of your break at the Berystede Hotel & Spa. My apologies you did not find the restaurant met your expectations and I am pleased that you enjoyed use of our leisure club & spa. Your points made have been noted.

Best wishes,
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed in the MacDonald Berystede hotel on August 1st & 2nd and it was not a good experience. Apart from putting camp beds in the room for my daughters to sleep on and my older daughter is 13 and very tall; the cold water in the showers (which was a problem as we were getting ready for a wedding) and the additional items constantly added to our bill that should have been part of our package - the most upsetting part was I had a terrible fall in the changing rooms of the spa when I slipped on a pool of water and landed on my back and banging my head. I was not well afterwards and very bruised and it ruined the wedding I was attending the next day and my weeks stay in London as my back ached for the week. But the worst part was I was offered £4 compensation by the deputy manager and housekeeper on duty . they really had no interest or sympathy for me. Since then I have contacted the hotel on a number of occasions and they have never returned my call bar last week when I spoke to the new Deputy Manager who promised most sincerely to call me back on Wednesday as Customer Service was his priority and he failed to do so.

Overall I would say this hotel's customer service is deplorable and if something does happen to you while staying there they really don't want to know.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Anne C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Royal Berkshire Hotel
Royal Berkshire Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sunninghill
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!