“Great service very welcoming”

Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sunninghill
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Great service very welcoming”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed a short break at the hotel, taking in the spa and dinner service, the spa is ok however the outside pool is probably the best bit and to avoid disappointment I would recommend booking a treatment in advance as they seem to be very busy with non hotel guests.

Dinner was excellent and couldn't fault the food or the service, highly recommend.

Breakfast is fine, a selection of continental then a cooked breakfast to order what more could you want.

All in all a good experience and a friendly and welcoming hotel, would recommend.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jacqui B, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for leaving feedback of your recent stay with us, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you choose to stay again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
}���S��
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for Valentines weekend 2014. We had booked an "executive" double room. If this was executive, I don't know what the other rooms are like! On arrival in the room, it was quite cold and it transpired that the windows had been left open on what was one of the windiest days of the year. I tried turning the air conditioning onto the warm setting but it didn't work. It wasn't until later in the evening that I discovered an electric heater tucked away in the corner of the room - which just about warmed the room once we had been for dinner.

The room was at least clean, but the flush on the toilet was broken and required a certain amount of persuasion to work.

We arrived at the restaurant for our meal at our booked time and were shown to our table by a very friendly maitre d'. This is where the good experience ended. We were sat at our table for 20 minutes before the waitress arrived to take our drinks order which gave the feeling of being unwelcome guests at a party. The waiters wore badly fitting suits and it all felt a little bit shabby. The food was average, but probably about what you would expect for the price. I have eaten better in many a gastro-pub though. The service was awkward and not particularly professional or organised throughout.

We had a good night's sleep in the now warm room and then went to the restaurant for breakfast. I was disgusted to find there was a not insignificant piece of cheese on the floor under our table that was clearly a leftover from the night before. This was not what I would expect of a hotel with such great character. The breakfast was mediocre - a continental buffet and a rather measly "full" english breakfast. I would have been disappointed if this wasn't included in the room rate and would not have paid full price (£19.95). Again, service was slow, awkward and disorganised.

To top things off our room card stopped working on returning from breakfast, so I made the marathon walk (I like to think I'm a reasonably fit person and it took about 6-7 minutes) back to reception to get the key reactivated. Reception were apologetic, did something with the card and again it didn't work. So another marathon walk back to reception where housekeeping were promptly dispatched to let us into our room.

On departure from the hotel, we made our displeasure known and they kindly removed some incidentals for £8/9 from the bill, which is better than nothing.

This is an absolutely wonderful building but it is let down by poor maintenance, poor cleanliness and indifferent restaurant. It could be so good, and it is a shame to be writing this review. Unfortunately, I think they're more focussed on the corporate market where all people want is a room and a meal rather than a great hotel experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ian W

Travellers are raving about these Sunninghill hotels

London
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was really looking forward to returning to the Macdonald Berystede after having a wonderful Christmas there a few years ago, how things have changed.
Check in was smooth, but certain questions that are normally asked in a 4-5* hotel such as Would you like a newspaper? or Do you require a wake up call?- Were both forgotten. I am aware that the hotel is undergoing improvement works in their lobby, however I think this needs to stretch to their rooms.

Rooms
The classic room we were given was a little tired. The bed itself looked similar to a 'Premier Inn' bed, there was a coffee wrapper left on the carpet, the TV remote barely worked and the bath had large cracks on the outside which are in need of a repair. The complimentary water was appreciated and the room was generally clean. The tea tree and lavender bathroom products were lovely.

The Diadem bar
Good food, good service, although 12.5% service charge added to items.

The Spa
This is the complete downfall of the hotel. I am disgusted to report that I had booked my mum to have a facial (the only appointment they had left when pre-booking) as a little treat for it being her birthday and it was a huge disaster. My mum was told when arriving for her treatment that it had been put back by 15 minutes and that she should take a seat in the 'relaxation room' to fill out the form. This change of time was not shared with us e.g. by a quick phone call and was actually told to my mum and not asked if that was ok with her or given any kind of apology.
My mum had stated on her form that she suffers from high blood pressure and is under treatment for arthritis and that if she received any kind of massage that it was to be 'light'. When finally entering the treatment room, the therapist failed to introduce herself or explain the treatment and then asked my mum questions that should have been read off of the medical form. Clearly the therapist also failed to read this form, therefore what was the point of filling it out?

During the treatment, my mum was given a head massage which in her words was 'painful' and left her scalp very tender. The treatment was finished by a bell ringing and the therapist telling her that her treatment was now over. my mum apparently sat up and felt very weak and dizzy and in general just wanting to get out of there. My mum looked at her watch to realise that actually the treatment had only lasted around 20 minutes (supposed to be 30). The therapist then tried to sell various products to my mum and to be honest, she was not interested in the slightest. I find this to be very unprofessional, especially when the products being offered were not products that had been used on her skin.
After hearing such horrendous news, I wanted to speak the Duty Manager before our dinner booking.

The Duty Manager (Daniel) on the bright side was very nice and understanding, he did his best that evening to rectify the situation by offering us a glass of champagne each at dinner free of charge and he personally went down to the spa to pick up my mums earrings which she had left there (we had rung ourselves but was told that they couldn't be returned till the next morning as other people were having treatments in the rooms- ridiculous). The Manager also found this to be unacceptable.

Evening meal in the Hyperion
Wonderful dinner, exquisite food which was very much enjoyed. The chef deserves a lot of credit, we both had the duck which was sublime. Absolutely delicious!

Breakfast in the Hyperion
Not much selection in the continental selection, seemed to be continuously running out of items. No rolls, no croissants, equivalent of tinned/frozen fruit and cheap tasting juice. The hot breakfast was ok. We were given a small selection of toast, this size has become smaller over the years also. Nothing to write home about in all honesty, which is a shame.

Check out
Smooth, I still was not happy about the Spa experience so therefore asked for that charge to be removed as I was not happy to pay for it due to my mum suffering such a painful and bad experience. This was removed by the permission of the duty manager, through Claire the receptionist who was very pleasant.

Unfortunately, I will not be returning to the Berystede. I believe this experience is unacceptable and I was very upset and disappointed as this had been booked as a birthday treat to my mum. We did not use the rest of the Spa facilities due to the awful experience. I would like to however express my gratitude to the Duty Managers; David and Janet who dealt with our situation and give praise to the Chef for his wonderful food.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GeorgieSmith
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post an in depth review of all areas of your experience at the hotel. I am very dissapointed to read that areas of our service were found wanting for which I apologise and I am pleased that Daniel and Janice resolved your problems with the spa treatments booked in person. Where we can your feedback will be used to develop our offerings, product and services as part of our strategic planning accross all areas of the hotel and spa. Once again please accept my apologies for your dissapointment with your stay.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Old fashioned hotel like a french chateau... Single rooms are very small but double rooms are comfortable... Excellent SPA and small fitness room are the privileges of the hotel.
Breakfast is serves as open buffet but with low variety... Same as restaurant menu, only few choices are applicable.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alieacelina
Thank you for reviewing your stay during February on Tripadvisor. We are currently completing a phased refurbishment of our restaurant, bar and lobby and with that we will be reviewing our dining offerings taking into account feedback from our guests such as yours. I hope you choose to return to stay with us again should you be staying in the local area.

Oxfordshire
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife and I booked with secret escapes. I booked the deal which came with a 2 course meal, B&B and a £10.00 per room reduction on pre booked treatments. I was contacted by the hotel offering an upgrade to a four course dinner for a small supplement, I am glad they called as neither their site or great escapes had notified me that I needed to book a precise time to eat, we were offered either 1900hrs or 2100hrs.
The room was very nice with standard 4 star amenities, the bathroom had been recently refurbished and was lovely That said it was dusty and the floor did not appear very clean. The meal was excellent and the service was efficient and not intrusive, we were impressed and tipped the waiter directly. Only comment to make was the cheeseboard came with only a couple of biscuits which resulted in cheese not being eaten, I suspect we could have asked for a couple more but did not.
We did not make use of the Spa or any other facilities.
The staff in general were great, friendly and helpful. My wife left her purse at reception and the lady walked all the way to the room to return it, she could have just called the room but didn't, which was a nice touch, she also set the heating in the room while she was there.
Breakfast service was slow from the start, we had to wait to be seated and there was quite a queue, we could have had a cooked meal but by the time someone came to take our order I had eaten the toast and some of the items from the continental buffet so did not want anything cooked, the staff were very friendly though.
The bill had a service charge for the restaurant and a supplement for the cheeseboard neither had been advised, the hotel did remove the items from the bill but the receptionist then asked if we wanted the £1.00 charity donation removed as well. We didn’t but the comment made us feel mean.
The setting was lovely and the room warm it was incredibly busy so feel this might explain why things were slow, criticism aside we would probably go again but not on valentine's night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Quartermaster243
Thanks for your fair review of your stay over the Valentine weekend. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay, however I do aknowledge that in particular breakfast was very busy with the majority of the hotel choosing to eat within a one hour window which is not the norm causing delays which were too long and not acceptable. I would note that all supplements and service charges are printed on our dining menus and on any final receipts; however if you felt that this was not highlighted sufficiently I do apologise.

Thank you once again for you review and I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The hotel itself is stunning and the spa facilities were lovely but the thermo pool is in need of a good deep clean. We had booked decor aroma envelopment treatment as advertised on the website (£72 pp) in advance of our stay. We arrived half an hour early at the spa which was lucky because we were advised declor treatments had been replaced with elmis. After explaining to the beautician we were wanting a body wrap we were informed the treatments were very similar just different products. Treatments were lovely however when checking out was shocked to be charged £85 each!! Very disappointed not to be informed that not only had the products changed but the price had also.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent, just a shame we had to wait 45 minutes before we even got our starter!!
Breakfast was also delicious but again a shame we had to wait over 40 minutes for a poached egg. Although we were happy to wait and appreciated how busy it was to see others come in eat a full English then leave before ours had arrived, I was disappointed with the rude response from the waitress when politely checking on our order. Unfortunately because of our experience we won't be returning but also won't be recommending. Shame because the hotel itself is lovely!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cat_tuck
Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us at the hotel. My sincere apologies that your expectations were not met and please be assured that the circumstances you describe have been shared with the wider team and utilised to enhance our processes and communication within the hotel.

Vescovana
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stay in the hotel for a long relaxing weekend in February. The place is beautiful, a typical old-style English building, sorrounded by the green; the room is comfortable and clean, whit a great bed, a supplied mini-bar and the tv; also the bathroom is functional and clean.
The staff is great, polite and helpful.
The breakfast is typical English; the buffet is restrained but with valued products (butter and jam for example), and the English breakfast served directly from the kitchen is very good arranged.
The restaurant is high-grade, the dishes are refined, good presented, but almost tasty; the wine chart is inetrnational and good assorted.
The SPA is big and good mantained, the swimming pool is big enough to swim comfortably and the staff is polite and helpful
The place is convenient to visit Windsor, but in 50 minutes you can arrive at London with train. In the hall there is also some suggestions to visit neighbouring places.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank matteomenin
Jacqui B, General Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for a great review of your stay. I am delighted you enjoyed youselves so much. Do visit and stay with us again soon.

Best Regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunninghill
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Hilton Bracknell
#5 of 7 in Bracknell
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Savill Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!