“Excellent pool and steam rooms”

Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sunninghill
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Rang the hotel on 2 occasions prior to my arrival to confirm that the 3 rooms I booked would be together, we arrived early and we were informed that they only had 1 room available which was not a problem and informed us if we checked in later all our rooms would be together. This was a special 50th birthday celebration so I wanted everything to run smoothly. When we booked in later that day we waited for over 30 mins to sort our rooms out which was a real pain.

The restaurant was great, the food, the service no complaints everything ran smoothly. The rooms were lovely although it was at the end of the hotel and quite along walk when you have knee replacements so be warned if you have a disability. The pool and facilities were excellent they even had an outside splash pool/jacuzzi very heated and it was lovely. Love the various steam rooms and sauna's and the ice room, these facilities were fantastic for a hotel.

Breakfast was excellent although service for tea/coffee was a bit slow but the restaurant was very busy so this was to be expected. We went to check out and they had overcharged us by over 100 pounds and as I started to explain in to the receptionist she was a bit on the unfriendly side so I left it to my husband to sort out as it was the same lady who we had encountered on booking in, to be honest my husband is the most patient man and even he was losing the will to live 20 mins later it was finally resolved. I love this group of hotels and have stayed at various others in the group and apart from the frustrations at reception it was a lovely stay

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Jacqui B, Manager at Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at the Berystede Hotel & Spa and made good use of the hotel facilities. Please accept my apologies on behalf of my reception team for the errors with your bill and more importantly if the service seemed to be lacking hospitality. This is certainly not the standards we strive to achieve and I hope you continue to choose to stay at Macdonald Hotels in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

A great hotel in general for visiting Ascot racecourse and other local attractions.

One pointer for improvement: Service at dinner was a slow (there were not enough waiting staff on duty on a Friday night) which meant that dinner took longer than necessary.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your recent review and five out of five rating. Thank you for highlighting the speed of dinner service which we will continue to review and apologies if on the night of your stay it was not as efficient as it should have been. I hope you choose to stay again when attending the races at Ascot racecourse.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a conference centre upselling itself as spa hotel. Though the facade is picturesque, the interior is mostly drab and somewhat dated. Hotel is vast and the layout is confusing making it feel more like a dormitory than a luxury hotel. Indeed, the pointless gates the barricade the estate serve only to inconvenience the guests; the front of house staff neglected to share the access code leaving us waiting outside the main gate for 15 minutes whilst the call button rang and rang. An experience that was also endured by other members of our party.

Service was really poor and the hotel is clearly understaffed. On arrival we waited 2 hours to the duty manager to lock the door connecting an adjoining room. A task that was only completed after 3 calls to reception, the last of which requiring 15 rings before the phone was answered.

The room was hot and not especially well insulated against noise.Breakfast mass-catered despite every endeavor to make it seem a la carte.

Given it's location and amenities and locations it's probably worth a £100/night ; sadly we paid nearer 150.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HSXander

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations of our hotel & spa. I am most disappointed to read your feedback and we will review and act on your comments to ensure we maintain our usually high standards of hospitality and service throughout the hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Decided to book a spa weekend for me and my girlfriend and I have to say all in all it was a lovely stay. Spa facilities are very good it was a shame that the ice room wasn't working at the time of our visit but never mind these things happen.We both had amazing massages too by Lisa - wow she is good!!! The food was nice and all the staff were friendly. The only fault I had with our stay was the constant banging of doors that could be heard from our room, maybe we were just in a bad spot or just had some noisy neighbours.
If your looking for a relaxing weekend this place is Definitely worth a visit worth a visit

Stayed: May 2014

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your spa break with us and thank you for posting a review of your experience on Tripadvisor. Thank you for personally recognising Lisa who we regularly receive feedback regarding the high quality of her treatments - I will ensure she sees your feedback. I hope you choose to book another break with us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed for 4 nights on a legoland family break. The hotel was comfortable and most of the staff helpful and friendly. My wife and daughter made good use of the pool and the outdoor play equipment was good for young children, although not out all the time. The bar and food prices were expensive, but it is an expensive area and you pay for the ambiance. The room was good and reasonably spacious. A convenient short drive to legoland on the less congested side, and close to Sunningdale station for trips into London. The 2 for 1 attraction deals for rail travellers can make this good value.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Stellaman

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us for four nights recently. I am really pleased that you and your family enjoyed making full use of the hotel facilities and enjoyed visiting the local area. As you noted we are on the 'quieter' side of LEGOLAND for travelling by car which is approximately 10-15mins drive away from the hotel and also close to two stations to travel to London within an hour making it a great location for a family stay.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hotel is in a lovely setting with beautiful gardens and plenty to do for the kids - jenga, swingball, football etc. The pool is also a decent size with set hours for the kids to use it. A three minute drive to Ascot train station gets you into London in less than an hour. The only downside was the staff. I'm not sure if they were understaffed but those that were there were not the most attentive. On two occasions we ordered food and the wrong order was brought. Not a huge problem but not what you expect from a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alandangie

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am disappointed to read that my team were un-attentive which I will address with the food and beverage departments personally as clearly these errors should not be made. I hope you and your family enjoyed your time at the hotel overall and apologies for the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. I hope you will choose to stay with us again if visiting the area in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here for a friend's 50th birthday - 3 couples. Beautiful grounds, amazing food and friendly staff - would definitely recommend this. We just used the pool and thermal suite - very enjoyable. Rooms very comfortable and generous. Took a cake to the restaurant and the chef arranged it on a plate with happy birthday icing - home made cake so not perfect - but they still presented it beautifully. We did ring ahead to request rooms were together and this did take a little while to arrange at reception but was sorted. Thank you.

Room Tip: Quite a trek to certain rooms - just be prepared.