“Hidden Gem!”
Review of Haselbury Mill

Haselbury Mill
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have stayed here on three separate occasions and have never been disappointed. The location is picture perfect, the rooms are great (especially the 'stable rooms') and the barn where dinner is served is really quaint. The food is wonderful and the staff very attentive. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I like the 'stable rooms' better than the main house (which is absolutely fine).
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights on a Travel Zoo special which mentioned an upgrade !
The Mill is in a lovely location ideal for touring Somerset and Dorset

Found the room quite small and dark with lots of housekeeping issues, curtain partially pulled off the rail, wall in the en-suite shower room had paint peeling off and mould on it, Although there were tea making facilities both mugs had tea stains inside and dirty glasses, most of these things could have been corrected,the mould issues were mentioned to the Manager who apologised and said he hadn't been in the room for some time.
Staff very friendly, breakfast was very good, pity the young waitress couldn't get any of the orders right from guests for cooked breakfast. Dinner was fine although menu a bit limited.

It is a pity that owners/managers do not experience a night in there accommodation

Room Tip: Make sure that you have a upgraded room
1  Thank rolyno1
HaselburyMill, General Manager at Haselbury Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Rolyno1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know of your experience.

I was sorry to read that you were overall disappointed with your stay as we take huge pride in our customer satisfaction.

I am pleased to say that we have an ongoing refurbishment program for the bedrooms, including the room you stayed in and that all these issues have been resolved.

In addition to that, I have of course spoken to all those concerned to ensure that we continually review our processes and aspects of our service in order to meet our guests expectations.

I'd also like to inform you that although I hadn't stayed in your room for some time, I do in fact regularly stay in some of the rooms at the hotel, as does the owner (several times a week) so we can continuously evaluate the quality of the accomodation and address any issues we discover.

Once again, please accept my apologises for your disappointment but please rest assured that your comments have been taken into account and acted upon where appropriate.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Haselbury Mill in the future.

Kind Regards

Denis Verrier
General manager

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at The Haselbury Mill for a short family break just prior to Easter. We chose this hotel based on the description of the grounds and the strong reviews on tripadvisor, we were disappointed.

The grounds are very nice although from the way they are described I expected them to be bigger and would benefit from some child friendly facilities.

I paid to upgrade our room to a superior option for extra space and when we arrived they actually put us in the bridal suite. What an usual room this is, the bathroom is lovely modern and luxury but the rest of the room does not match and feels a little dated. Equally the cleanliness in the room was poor - dust on all pillars of the four poster, a cork under the bedside cabinet from previous occupants and mould on several sides of the inside of the wardrobe.

The restaurant is nice and over looks the pond and the food was attractively presented and was tasty. Throughout our time there the staff were attentive and helpful.

Lastly as a big fan of my hotel breakfasts this was a disappointing. The first morning breakfast was presented buffet style (which is always my preference) but it appeared the food had been sat there for sometime as the eggs were rubbery and bacon solid. The next morning breakfast was table service and I expected the food would better as it would be freshly cooked, the eggs were much better but I dont think I have ever been served such crispy over cooked bacon anywhere!

Overall, if I'm honest I expected better, I've stayed in worse places but Haselbury Mill overall was disappointing.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear SamandPhilip,

Thank you very much for your comments.

I was of course disappointed to read that you some aspects of your stay didn't meet your expectations unfortunately.

I will look at your comments and speak to those concerned, and will certainly review our offering where appropriate and take the necessary steps in order to ensure that we provide the consistantly excellent level of service that Haselbury Mill is reknowned for.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Haselbury MIll in the future.

Kind Regards

Denis Verrier

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at the mill for one night, our room was lovely, and we had an evening meal which was excellent, breakfast was also very good, the weather was not to good but we made the best of our day and visited some local spots. would certainly recommend this to anyone wishing for a quite hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a lovely spot in the country but conveniently situated for touring Somerset and Dorset. Our room, Magnolia, was lovely, well appointed and clean. The grounds are beautiful and the old vehicles are interesting ! Staff are all friendly and very welcoming, including the owners who are justifiably proud of their complex developed over 15 years. Very good value on Travelzoo made it a most enjoyable visit, we hope to return !

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Our one-night stay was a present from my wife, an excellent choice! We stayed in the 'blue' room in the main house. A large room, a very comfortable bed and good quality bed linen. It was clean throughout with an excellent en-suite shower (no bath).

Minnie and Roger have had a tithe barn built, the first new build of its kind for 300 years, a lasting legacy for generations to come, it is a magnificent building and something they are justly proud of. Used for functions, especially weddings, a great choice of venue to befit any occasion.

Roger has a passion for transport of days gone by, dotted around the grounds a number of old vehicles from decades past.

There is a bar called Windy Miller that makes an excellent start for pre-dinner drinks, serving local ales and of course, ciders - well it is in Somerset!

Would we return - most definitely!!

Dinner was well prepared, tasted very good, my only minor criticism, the portions on the small side. Breakfast, a buffet affair, again extremely well cooked, using local produce.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elaineandgary
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here at the weekend, care of a Travelzoo voucher, and were very impressed.

The room was a good size, the staff friendly and efficient, but the finishing touch was the sumptious food. I had the rib eye steak and later on, hubby had the chocolate fondant dessert (previously raved about on TA). We both agreed that these two items were the best we had ever tasted!

The views from the restaurant, with its very high windows, overlooking the lake were gorgeous ... and a walk or sit outside on a sunny day would be fantastic (we had drizzle). Conveniently placed tables and chairs enable you to do this.

The "medieval" tithe barn, while only built in 2007 was an impressive addition to the hotel gardens.

A very pleasant stay, closely competing with our recently reviewed "best hotel ever" Northcote Manor. We intend to return ....

Room Tip: We were in the Blue Room in the separate house.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haselbury Plucknett
#1 of 1 in West Coker
Summer Lodge
Summer Lodge
#1 of 2 in Evershot

Been to Haselbury Mill? Share your experiences!