“They did not listen”
Review of Haselbury Mill

Haselbury Mill
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I went for a meal at Haselbury Mill with members of a group I am involved in. The group included a prestigious visitor from Canada, need I say more. In advance of the meal the Mill were informed that I wanted my meal to be free from cheese ... when my meal was served to me it looked lovely. The waitress who served me returned a short while later to remove my meal as it had a substantial amount of cheese on top and within it. I waited absolutely ages, whilst an alternative meal arrived by which time my fellow group members were just about finishing. The Mill were also warned not to put anything chocolately on the ice cream that I was to have as my dessert, guess what that was returned because it had a generous dusting of cocoa/chocolate on top. Another wait. Another issue was that before I had my meal I went to the ladies room/toilet and there was no toilet roll a fact that I informed one of the staff about and yet when I was about to leave a couple of hours later and returned to the toilet there still was no toilet roll. Surely this lack of attention is all wrong.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank KatefromChard
HaselburyMill, General Manager at Haselbury Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear KatefromChard

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the evening you spent here recently.

I am sorry you were disappointed by some aspect of our service and attention to detail. We take great pride in our customer service and I am sorry if you felt that your requirements were not catered for properly. I have of course spoken to both the Head Chef and Front of House team alike to remind everyone of the importance of attention to details.
I am also sorry if the paper ran out in the ladies room during the evening. As you know, we do get very busy and sometimes have to refill the paper several times a day. Thank you for pointing it out on the day and I will make sure everybody pays even more attention to it than they already do.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and i hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Haselbury Mill in the future.

Kind Regards

Denis Verrier

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Had a lovely weekend at the Haselbury Mill with my Mum.
Gorgeous setting. Ducks on the pond, well kept grounds and an adorable coach house room.
There is an outside area for afternoon tea / or a cheeky beer, with umbrellas if the weather is warm.
Highly recommend the vegetarian lasagne and chocolate brownie dessert.
The Tithe Barn was set up for a wedding and looked stunning.
A tip for anyone visiting the area - near Ham Hill is Montacute House, an Elizabethan stately home. 20 mins in the car and it was a lovely day.
The staff were incredibly helpful and we had a great stay. Thank you to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in coach house 2. Fab shower - am going to have to upgrade at home.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Tranquil, beautiful setting, spacious accommodation (Classic double), tastefully furnished, excellent, helpful, friendly staff. Very good dinner (delicious goat's cheese entrée) and a great breakfast. The new tithe barn would be an amazing venue for a wedding.

Room Tip: Our large 'Classic Double' room, with a very big ensuite, was in the new building. We were l...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kay B
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We spent one night at Haselbury Mill on a Travelzoo DB&B deal and it was amazing! The hotel rooms are in the former mill owner's house, stables, and quirky ones like a showman's caravan and a railway carriage. The restaurants and bars are in the original mill, the wheel and working gear were removed some time ago. There is a new "medieval" tithe barn in the grounds which is used for weddings. We were fortunate enough to be able to see inside and appreciate this lovely recreation of a traditional building. The gardens are extensive and beautifully kept - very pleasant to wander round. We arrived at about 17:15 and were checked in by Rachel who was just about as friendly and efficient as you could wish for. Our room (Riverside) is on the first floor of the house, is small but as it has two windows was not at all stuffy. The bed wasn't particularly comfortable but neither was it horrendous. There were one or two tiny housekeeping issues which we mentioned on check out but they didn't detract from the overall experience. We ate in the restaurant which overlooks a small lake and found the service and food to be exceptional. We sat in the bar with a pre dinner drink and made our selections from the varied menu. I could quite happily have eaten any of the menu items, and it's not often I can say that. I had Cauliflower Velouté for starters and hubby had the smoked salmon and asparagus. For mains we had the rib-eye and the lamb. All four dishes were superb. For dessert we both chose the chocolate brownie and were glad we did as it was just perfect. We had a bottle of Chilean Malbec at £14.95 and it was a very nice accompaniment. Prices were around £5-7 for starters and desserts, and £12-20 for mains which I thought was more than reasonable for the quality of the food. We didn't sleep particularly well but still woke up pretty fresh at 8:00. We had breakfast in the restaurant on the first floor of the mill building. There was a nice buffet set out and cooked breakfasts to order. We both had the cooked breakfast which was very substantial. I did have a bit of a problem with mine as I found it very greasy, particularly the bacon, fried bread and mushrooms but the ingredients were all very good quality and it didn't stop me clearing my plate! We checked out and had the same friendly service we'd had when we arrived. When we got home and looked more closely at the bill, it didn't look quite right. The hotel checked straight away and realised that we'd been charged twice for a pre dinner beer. Without any problems, the overcharge was immediately refunded. That's what I call a good experience. I would definitely recommend the mill both as a hotel and as an amazing wedding venue.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachael B
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Recently visited Haselbury Mill for a family wedding. We stayed 2 nights and our 1 year old grandson was in the party, with the minor challenges that presents. The hotel could not have been more helpful and went out of their way to make our stay easier. The restaurant was great but not the fastest. Breakfast was excellent, croissants to die for.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed here on 26th April 2014, had a Travel Zoo voucher, excellent value, bed, breakfast and dinner. All the staff were friendly, food very good, room was lovely and there was a VW festival which provided the entertainment, would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have stayed here on three separate occasions and have never been disappointed. The location is picture perfect, the rooms are great (especially the 'stable rooms') and the barn where dinner is served is really quaint. The food is wonderful and the staff very attentive. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I like the 'stable rooms' better than the main house (which is absolutely fine).
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
#1 of 2 in Martock
Lower Severalls Farmhouse
Lower Severalls Farmhouse
#4 of 10 in Crewkerne

Been to Haselbury Mill? Share your experiences!