All reviews tithe barn wedding venue lovely setting excellent food the main house afternoon tea sunday lunch steak evening meal coach house old house both nights very comfortable room weekend break bridal suite excellent stay lovely meal
Reviewed 3 October 2018

I had steak that suffered from severe dryness. A sauce would have helped. I was also shocked to see frozen chips on the plate. A real lack of effort, No sauteed mushrooms or onions no roll and the veg. were overdone. My guest had the Sea Bass and crumbled potato. Translation Fried Sea Bass on chopped potato and butter She said it was okay but again no real life to the meal. It could have been amazing with some fresh herbs and spicing. She had the same veg as me again over boiled. Just a lack of attention to detail or care. The prices were okay and the place was really beautiful. The serving staff were really nice and gave great service.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 2 October 2018

We were looking for a dog-friendly hotel in the area, for one night, to extend our weeks holiday. Haselbury popped up on our online booking search and one direct call to the venue (just to check they had a dog friendly accommodation) ensured we booked at the online price.

On arrival we noticed that this, fabulous location, is a popular event/wedding venue and they were really busy (it was Saturday). There are several buildings across the site for the events (beautifully built and very in keeping with the theme) and tt was so impressive watching the staff as they organised guests for those events and also saw to our our needs as well. Really slick. The staff run like a well oiled machine, whilst being happy, amusing and engaging.

Booking in we were shown to our room by the owner, Roger and despite the venue being busy, we even had our own parking space. We had enough time to relax in the grounds and enjoy a impromptu picnic by the duck pond.

We booked a table for an evening meal and fully expected to be sat in the "Windy Miller Bar" (a sort of on-site pub), as they were so busy in the other facilities and that that would have been fine, but to our amazement, we were sat in the restaurant despite having our dog with us. It was so wonderful being treated that way and we very much appreciated it.

The restaurant is fabulous. The food was just amazing. There is a real Italian slant to the menu. We went down the Fish/Seafood path and were duly rewarded.

The room we had booked had a real period feel. The owner likes to give each room a "unique" feel and our bed was a specially brought in antique bed. We were really comfortable and despite several events going on, the locations of those events on the site means that we were not disturbed by noise, at all.

Breakfast is buffet style, and once again, as we had our dog with us, we were treated fantastically. We had our own table, which meant we could all be together rather than "doing breakfast in shifts".

Overall, this was a fabulous experience. From our (short noticed) booking, to departure, we were treated superbly. Roger and his team run a very happy ship, which is reflected in our very positive, customer experience. Thank You Haselbury, this was a very unexpected stay on our part, but what a wonderful find. We shall defiantly look to return if our travels take us in your direction in future.

Room Tip: All rooms are away from the places where events take place. Please do not be put off by this being an events venue.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2018

Haselbury Mill is a quiet, picturesque retreat with fantastic food, cosy and eclectic accommodation, gorgeous grounds and a warm welcome, whether you’re two or 102. You can’t go wrong...

We stayed for two nights in August in the Montague – a massive 1950s touring caravan with an authentic period interior but fitted out with enough mod-cons to get you by – TV, bunkbeds for the kids and a bathroom complete with shower. It’s situated in ‘the Glade’ adjacent to a collection of vintage caravans, including one classic gypsy wagon with canvas cover. We didn’t use it, but in the centre is a large stone campfire that would be perfect for a party if you’re a big group. The toilet and shower blocks (for those staying in the smaller caravans) retain the character of the surrounding, being converted from a caravan and a horse box respectively; full of charm and perfectly clean and functional. Our two boys loved playing around the caravans and they lent a real charm to the place.

A short walk from the glade is the main hotel – a beautifully converted flour mill situated in picturesque grounds that felt safe for the kids to run around in while we enjoyed a drink. On the first night we had drinks on the lawn followed by a delicious supper in the main restaurant that was welcoming, well-catered for children and offered a good range of locally sourced and amply-served dishes. On the last night we decided to test out their pizza van – a converted caravan complete with wood-fired pizza oven situated outside the main bar and opposite the beer garden. The pizzas were divine and combined with the beer, wine and warm summer’s night just made it a perfect evening.

Breakfast – a mix of continental buffet food with plenty of cereals, juices and doorstop chunks of fresh locally-baked bread to toast – was in another, adjoining building that looked like a converted grain store. There’s also cooked to order dishes like full-English and blueberry pancakes both of which were perfectly cooked and delicious. The staff were excellent too – one morning the chef came out to ask if the kids would like some ‘Minions pancakes’ (banana) which they thought was the best thing ever. Let’s just say nothing was left to waste.

The site is well located to explore Somerset and the south coast. We had a lovely day in Lyme Regis one day after a manageable drive, visited Glastonbury Tor and explored some of the unspoiled villages surrounding Yeovil, including the picture-perfect East Coker, birthplace of TS Elliot.

All in all it was a highly enjoyable short family break that felt more like an adventure thanks to accommodation that was full of character and quirks. A huge thank you to Roger and his wonderful staff. We’ll certainly be returning to Haselbury Mill.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here on 17th September for my friends wedding. The venue and location is stunning and it was a perfect day.

The hotel room we stayed in (The Riverside) left me disappointed. We paid £120 for the night and I walked away feeling I didn’t get my money’s worth. The room was a small but comfortable and clean. For the money we paid in comparison to the other rooms in the hotel, we felt we paid a little too much for it.

Breakfast was unfortunately not great, the menu selection was great but my partner asked for a full English and asked for no beans or mushrooms. We received the food to find some beans were on the plate and the bean juice was hidden by a Hash brown. So we asked to have it replace which it was only to find it happened again. Almost like they didn’t change the food at all. Very disappointed and it put my partner off eating the food at all. Shame as the service was good until this point.

Before checking out, we were left waiting for about 10 minutes before anyone arrived and when they did they didn’t seem pleasant and ask us about our stay.

Nice venue, beautiful location.
Just didn’t feel like we got our money’s worth and the service in the morning wasn’t the best.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2018

Struggling to find anything good to say about this place. My parents, my 2 daughters and I stayed for one night on the way to Cornwall over the bank holiday weekend. When I booked over the phone I was told that my parents could have a room in the cottage and the three of us could stay in the Townsend Wagon. Do not do it! It was a freezing cold box with only a tiny electric heater which was useless. The toilet and shower block is not a nice purpose built building but are housed separately and the shower is a converted horse box. They was nothing luxury about it, and it is very overpriced! As well as the cold and the cobwebs, we were kept awake by loud traffic noise, as the wagon was located near to a busy main road. My parents didn’t fare much better in their small room. The heating was turned on around 9pm as requested after dinner, but went off in the night. They were given 2 fan heaters in the early hours to keep them warm, rather than putting the heating back on. The breakfast was chaotic. My dad, who is disabled, was expected to sit upstairs with the buffet downstairs. We had to clean the table and repeatedly ask for our tea and coffee, and it was noisy and not relaxing at all. The coffee machine was broken the previous evening at dinner and the restaurant was cold and damp smelling. The place is more like a living museum for the owner Roger, who turns out is very rude. On checking out, rather than apologising when I commented on the cold and the issues we faced, he simply told me that I knew what I was booking, and that it was August, and it shouldn’t be cold and he offered us £10 off. When I said that I would put a review on trip advisor, he told me that I couldn’t have it both ways – giving my candid opinion and getting a tenner off! Well I hope you are reading this Roger and I don’t expect a polite response after reading your responses to other negative reviews. The rudeness of the manager was in fact the worst party of the place. It is probably the nice reception team, it’s only saving grace.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
HaselburyMillLtd, Owner at Haselbury Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2018

Dear Ms Bowyer,

You will, despite your doubts, certainly receive a polite response but it will be accurate and constructive in exactly the same manner as we reply to the very few negative responses we receive. Indeed, our record of receiving the Trip Advisor’s certificate of excellence for seven consecutive years bears witness to the excellent standards which we maintain here at Haselbury Mill and they are all proudly displayed in reception.

You booked at the last minute and we were ostensibly full as you would expect on the day prior to a bank holiday weekend. We had however just received a cancellation through ill health and were able to offer the last room in our hotel. For your second room we could only offer one of our glamping Showman’s Wagons and our receptionists are trained to comprehensively describe the features and characteristics. This is crucially important when the client has not specifically dictated our glamping accommodation by choice but is merely renting our Glade offering because the main hotel is full. Essential features which we stressed are as follows.

1. 300 yards from the main accommodation
2. Historic vehicles with very antiquated features which, whilst applauded and appreciated by enthusiasts and the cognoscenti, may not be to the taste of a conventional traveller.
3. On a bend of the River Parrett which flows gracefully through our grounds (we have over a quarter of a mile of river frontage)
4. In the case of the Townsend and the Stow (a gypsy caravan) toilet and shower facilities are less than 20 yards away.

The toilet unit is a beautiful purpose built replica of a Shepherd’s Hut and is unique. The piping hot showers are cleverly fitted professionally within a horsebox but it must be stressed that these facilities are solely for the Townsend Showman’s wagon and the Stow Gypsy Wagon because every other unit in our glamping site is fully en suite (as is of course every room in our beautiful Georgian hotel). The reason the en suite facilities have not been fitted in the Townsend wagon is that it was built in 1925, it is of great historical significance and originally was on spoked wheels and hauled by two magnificent horses. It would be absolute sacrilege to hack around its fitted mahogany interior, we have even kept the original gas lamp fittings sympathetically converting these to electric use. However, this was explained to you on booking and during our conversation on the following morning, you readily admitted that you had been fully appraised of this by our reception staff who you praised in your final sentence.

Your comments on the heating are surprising. Your booking was on 24th August and, whilst we were just past the amazing continental heatwave which we had experienced for about eleven weeks, the ambient temperature was balmy (and we in fact supplied cooling fans to five rooms on that evening) but we nevertheless reprogrammed the heating to cater for your wishes. The inference and innuendo of your comment that 2 fan heaters were supplied in the early hours is with respect theatrical. One of our reception staff took them over at the start of her shift at 8a.m. on the morning of your departure, not the early hours, to ensure that they were comfortable despite the fact that your parents were simply getting up, having breakfast and departing. I am afraid your comments on the breakfast are also totally incorrect. The breakfast buffet has been upstairs for every single day of our twenty year ownership of Haselbury Mill, not downstairs as you incorrectly report. If we are notified in advance of a persons lack of mobility, which may or may not be visually obvious, we offer to lay up breakfast in the Lakeside restaurant downstairs and the person is given full waitress service. I have exhaustively interviewed Nicola, one of our most experienced staff who was shift supervisor on the morning your parents were eating. Your parents arrived at the tail end of the breakfast session when every table was full with guests chatting after a wholesome breakfast. Having no advance warning of disability and there being no visual signs, Nicola offered them a table on a balcony but your mother then appraised us of your fathers lack of mobility. Nicola then informed them that she would clear a table of some guests who were just departing and almost instantaneously your parents were seated on the main floor. This however could have been easily avoided if we had been notified of your fathers lack of mobility, because, again as part of our brief to all visitors, all guests are advised on checking in that the breakfast room is on the first floor (and are shown directions) and that if there are any mobility difficulties, we are more than willing to accommodate them on the ground floor immediately adjacent to reception. Again your description of events is misleading and mischievously incorrect.

I do hope you find my comments constructive. Our very loyal hardworking team work very hard to provide a service and experience par excellence and our track record is a glowing illustration of this. My strident defence of our facility on the morning in question was I am afraid a natural response to the unnecessary and unwelcome ultimatum of ‘money off or I’m going to Trip Advisor’. We do not respond favourably to such intimidation. Despite this however, we did reduce your invoice, not by the ‘tenner’ you allude to but by £20, purely and solely as a gesture of goodwill because there was no commercial imperative to take such action.

Best regards,