“Great food, cold welcome”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Cherhill
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 April 2014

...therefore you'd expect walkers, dogs, occasional bits of mud etc. As it was we'd been walking much earlier that morning, and our boots had dried out, and there was no extraneous mud on them (it was all in the car!)

A rather peremptory foreign woman indicated that we should sit in what she laughingly called "the lounge", which was the coldest, most miserable and unfriendly part of the pub. When I indicated politely, that I would prefer to sit on the other side of the pub, she looked us both up and down, wrinkled her nose, and said "your boots".

OK, we were wearing walking gear, not high fashion, and I was going to offer to take our (dry) boots off when she said that this "lounge" was where we should sit. It's hard to intimate in writing the dismissive tone, but at that point I looked at my friend and said to the woman "I think we'll go somewhere else, thank you". Seeing money walking out of the door, she started talking, but I was not listening....too late sweetie!

Made to feel welcome. Absolutely not.

I have eaten here several times before, and the food is very good, the waiting staff friendly but the owner? manager? whoever she is, she needs to learn a little bit about customer service.

I won't be going back there in a hurry.

7  Thank Caitlin M

Reviewed 18 April 2014

yesterday, me, my wife and two children came across a pub in cherhill, a beautiful countryside location, called the black horse. The kids had baguettes which were wonderful value for the massive portion. I had the venison special which was the most stunning meal i have ever had and my wife had chicken and mushroom pie and a pudding. It was one of the best family meals we have ever had and came in under £45. The staff were very attentive and ensured we had everything we needed. We will definitely be back here and reccommend this to all friends, family anf workmates! :-)

1  Thank JJPedroabcd
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The service is very good and very friendly from all of the staff here. The food is good and also great value. Nice atmosphere too.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Waitress was lovely, but manageress was rude to customers and staff. Food was good and atmosphere was pleasant, but manageress' attitude would stop me coming back

4  Thank Amy W
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and I eat here regularly and the food is always excellent. Also, the atmosphere is always friendly and warm. Our most recent meal was last Friday where we both had fish and chips, which were excellent. My husband had a cheesecake for dessert which he loved and I had the cheese board which was by far the most well-stocked cheese board I have ever had.

1  Thank Aisling F