Pestana Grand Premium Ocean Resort
Five Elements Madeira(Sao Martinho)
2,130 results
All reviewsreal canoasea viewlovely hotelcourtesy busindoor poolfree bus into funchalglass of madeira wineforum shopping centrehappy hourlocal restaurantsfive star hotelhotel restaurantstea and coffeerelaxing holidaypool towelssalt watertime share
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Spend a very pleasant week in this fine hotel Food accommodation and staff were perfect
Only fault was salesman who tried to sell Pestana vacation club He was rude arrogant and abusive
Glad to say he did not spoil a very enjoyable holiday

Room Tip: Rooms at front have good views
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank david i
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We found the hotel and the facilities were excellent. The room was spacious and the furniture and decor was realaxing. The eating area was varied and so depending on the weather we could match our seating choice. The staff were friendly and very helpful. A most enjoyable week

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank abrop4
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My husband and I just left the Pestana Grand yesterday and I must say, this was one of our best vacations, in part due to this great hotel and its location and the friendly staff. We were on the 3rd floor initially, great room, spacious, clean and a great seaview. We were very happy with the room. upon arrival, we were checked in quickly and our bags were brought up to our room within 5 minutes after we arrived there. Excellent staff, very courteous, always happy to help. Our room was cleaned daily, no problems there, we even received new pool towels everyday. The food I was a little worried about from reading previous review about the "chaos" but I must say, I did not find this to the case at all. We were on half board, so we had breakfast and dinner at the hotel. We ate at the Morroccan restaurant on one of the nights and we had the steak on a stone on another night, both were good meals. Since we were half board, we were allocated 17.50 pp for the dinners in the specialty restaurants, so we ended up paying about 10 euros extra for the dinners, this included our wine, coffee and dessert.
A few of the other nights, we had the buffett, this is no extra cost except for the drinks. Each time, we bought a half bottle of wine and was enough for the night.
There are many restaurants in the area, so half board is really not necessary but it is just a convenience if you choose to use it.
The promonade in front of the hotel is absolutely lovely, we strolled it many times both into the city and also in the opposite direction to the beach.
The hotel shuttle is another plus, we used it many times to go into the city and also for the return trip. It was always on time and it had nice cool air on those hot days.
There was some construction on the indoor pool that just happened to be below our room, so this made our balcony dusty on one of the days. I mentioned this to the front desk and we were promptly moved to a different room, one floor up and they gave us an upgrade on the room, this was done without hesitation!
The island of Madeira is absolutely beautiful, flowers everywhere, everything is very clean, the people are super friendly!
All in all, I highly recommend this hotel, we are already planning our return trip for the spring 2012!
Regards,
Hegetschweiler Family

Room Tip: 2nd floor and above
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shawannh
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I went to madeira as an extended family holiday and stayed at the pestana grand hotel.
Check in was very quick, by the curteous staff and luggage was bought up quickly. We were staying on the 6th floor in a one bedroom apartment. All the areas of the apartment were well furnished. The balcony was big and led to an even bigger one on the 7th floor. The view was direct sea facing with was unbelieveable. We spent a couple of hours everyday on the balcony and my baby loved being fed there.
Breakfast was good and well stocked. Not too chaotic.
The water in the outdoor pool was a bit cold, the indoor one was being refurbished.
The gym does not have much equipment and gets quite hot as there are no windows.
We booked a dolphin watching tour through the hotel, the reservation was made efficiently.
We used the hotel bus into the city a few times which was always punctual.
The staff at the hotel are excellant and always there to help.
My only gripe is the mattress of the bed being too soft for me so I didnt sleep well all week.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank filola
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This hotel was beautiful & the quietest that I have ever stayed in. The room was spacious, modern & immaculate clean. It had air conditioning, which made sleeping comfortable, & the TV was tuned to many Englsih channels.
We were just booked in for breakfasts & they were lovely, with a great choice. You could eat your fill! It was lovely sitting out in the sunshine eating breakfast, but you can also eat inside. Breakfast ran until 10.30 too, which was good if we were tired.
The pool was a lovely shape & seemed to meander around the Hotel. The grounds around it were beautiful with pretty flowers & rockeries.
In the evening there was usually a singer in the lounge bar & he sang very tasteful songs. Not rowdy, but lovely background music that enabled people still to speak & be heard.
The furnishing of the hotel is lovely & very well kept. The beds were clean & so comfy with pillows as big as clouds!
Every day there were free buses frequently to Funchal & back. Everything had been thought of.
The only thing I was a bit disappointed with was the fact that we were only given complimentary tea bags & coffee the first day. When they ran out we had to buy them. This wasn't a cheap hotel & that bit surprsed me. But everything else was great ,& clean towels & shower gels etc whenever they were needed.
Up the road from the Hotel there were quite a few really good restaurants & shops.
The staff were all so friendly & helpful, & very fluent in English. What more can I say?
I have been five times to Madeira & this is my favourite Hotel. I loved it there & most certainly would love to go again.............and again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family