“Friday afternoon lunch”

St. George and Dragon
Ranked #6 of 8 Restaurants in Wargrave
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Saint George and Dragon in Clyst Saint George is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reading, United Kingdom
“Friday afternoon lunch”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Venue is terrific for a sunny afternoon. We sat out on the terrace and enjoyed the sunshine on the hottest day of the year so far.
Servers were very helpful, but were possibly one short as we had to wait a while to be served. That said, when the food arrived it was delicious and worth the wait.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great food and venue but very poor service.”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

As the sun went down over the river Thames at Wargrave near Reading we watched the boaters and marveled at the view. What a beautiful terrace for a drink and some food. I went to the bar as no one came to our table. I was told they were short staffed so could not do table service on the terrace, so I ordered some drinks and took the menus to my party. I then placed our order at the bar as asked to do, people came and went tables were not cleared, so we were surrounded by dirty plates and glasses. Eventually our starters arrived, they were very good. I went in and ordered another round of drinks, there were several members of staff just standing around, could have been clearing the tables outside.
We finished our starters and waited and waited for someone to clear our plates, eventually after 30 minutes I went in and asked for some service. They cleared our table and called our mains away, 20 minutes later they arrived with great apologize. They food was excellent I could not fault it. When we finished someone who I believe was the manager appeared and offered us a free drink. Too little too late.
Would I go again? Yes, on a sunny evening there are few better spots to sit and enjoy a drink and food. But get a grip of your service, the experience could be so much better.

1 Thank Woodie48
london
“SOMETHING TERRIBLY WRONG”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Something is going very wrong with this restaurant on an enviable spot on the Thames at Wargrave. Since taking over from a ghastly Harvester, the owners have invested heavily, adding a huge terrace overlooking the river, and car parking. But they do not seem to have invested in the staff or the kitchen, certainly not in a competent and agreeable manager. The last three times I have visited have been a disaster and it cannot be coincidence. Today I arrived for an early lunch and there was nobody in the restaurant or at the bar, just some keys and dirty plates and glasses left over from the previous night. There were signs of humanity in the kitchen where some chaps were having verbal fisticuffs. A young, tall, thin bloke came out. I asked to have lunch on the terrace, as it was very hot and sunny. No, he said, they weren't serving outside, they were short of staff due to illness. This happened on the previous visit so either morale is low, or Wargrave is a plague town. I said politely that I would take my own lunch outside on a tray and return the empties and plates afterwards. No, he said, with sullen indifference, it would encourage others. I suggested that others doing the same would help the management, the staff and revenue. No, he said, I am the manager and I have decided. If we ate outside it might also encourage people to think that lunch was being served outside. Ok, I said, we will order lunch to have inside and wait outside. No, you must order inside and stay at your table. We tried this but it was not a success; the hamburger - which my friend and I had asked to be cooked rare - was massacred, and was a miserably small affair. It took 35 minutes to arrive and we were the only ones in the room. When we returned outside a pathetic ill-written note had been put up on a table, fixed by two empty bottles, to explain that there was no service on the terrace. The restaurant inside was fully booked though. The young manager, by his executive decision, had denied his employers the income of about 100 covers. And the future custom of several good-natured patrons who were the butt of his charmless surliness.

3 Thank nickyarthur
London, United Kingdom
“Can't fault location but food and service, well ..”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Took a crazy amount of time to serve lunch and it was really that busy. The roast beef arrived almost grey and was tough. Really lovely spot but taken the eye off the ball with food.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Distinctly Average”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The main plus point going for this place at the moment is the location. I went as part of a group of 12 (including children). The service was OK - especially considering we were not in a hurry. Food however was nothing special - I wouldn't say it was any better than a chain pub elsewhere. I felt the prices were also inflated, probably due to the location - a lovely curve on the River Thames, and I was able to enjoy a nice beer on the towpath thanks to the weather being on my side!

• Visited June 2014