“Stunning Peninsula House lives up to its well-deserved reputation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Las Terrenas
The Peninsula House
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Oakville, Canada
“Stunning Peninsula House lives up to its well-deserved reputation”
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights before joining a wedding party at an all inclusive resort in Samana. We have never stayed at a bed and breakfast resort before and, honestly, it took us a few nights to get used to the lack of anonymity that is inherent in such a small and exclusive hotel. However, once we did, we were able to truly appreciate and enjoy the attention and detail that the owners and staff take in everything they do. The reviews on trip advisor are absolutely accurate and I will not repeat the multitude of positive comments previously stated. However, I was REALLY able to appreciate the great food and attention to guests needs after staying in an all inclusive resort after the Peninsula House. I wish that we had been able to do the reverse where the all inclusive resort came first and then the Peninsula House!. I can only imagine how much more we would have enjoyed everything, including the PEACE AND QUIET!!!!. I am not sure that I could stay at the Peninsula House for an extended period, but it is a beautiful accent to a trip that you are already taking to the Dominican.

Further, because we could not fly directly into the airport in Samana (our time restrictions) we flew into Punta Cana and had to take a small plane for about an hour to Samana. This was all arranged (and taxi trips throughout) by Sophie at the Peninsula house in advance of our arrival. She also helped us arrange a motor bike rental so we could travel around a little during our stay. Finally, after having been at the wedding resort and on the way back to catch my small plane to Punta Cana, it became clear to me that there may be a mix up with the location of the small aircraft. Sitting at a small deserted airport at 8am by myself (my husband left 2 days earlier), with no english speaking people around and very little time for error, I called the Peninsula House for help. Thankfully, one of the owners answered and immediately called the airline and confirmed (in spanish) the airport that I was waiting at. When the pilot arrived, he explained that he had been waiting at the other airport. Without the assistance of the Peninsula House, I would never have made my flight from Punta Cana home that day. And that is the beauty of the Peninsula House, you absolutely feel that they are able and willing to help, no matter what the scenario is. When you are in a foreign country, travelling alone,and don't speak the language, you realize just how important it is to have people to count on and the Peninsula house delivered.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank meredithoakville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I know the cliche that states "if it is too good to be true, than it probably is" is the first thing that came to my mind when I read all the trip advisor reviews, various articles, and other literature available on the internet about The Peninsula House and all its accolades. So, of course, I had to check it out for myself, to see if this hotel truly was an oasis of perfection as everyone has written.
Well, I have to agree with all the guests who have written positive reviews about The Peninsula House, yes, it really is perfect! Every detail is taken care of for you. From your arrival to departure, they will handle any and all requests for you.
We had a very animated driver pick us up at the Santo Domingo airport and drive us to the hotel. The hotel will also arrange a flight from Santo Domingo to the airport near Las Terrenas for you should you want to speed up the transfer process. The drive from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas is not speedy, but it gave my husband and me an opportunity to see part of the Dominican Republic. I recommend the drive rather than the flight, especially if your flight arrives mid-afternoon. You have already lost a day to travel so you might as well see part of the country.
The Peninsula House is located on a hill overlooking the sea. The guest rooms are large with a nice indoor and outdoor sitting area. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was outfitted with a nice shower and there was a nice soaking tub as well. They provided L'Occitane products as toiletries. The room was so beautiful that it was a shame we were not in it more often, but the hotel was always crying out for us to discover everything it had to offer!
The main level of the hotel has an open-air atrium in the center and is surrounded by a couple of sitting areas, dining room, and billiards room. Dinners are outside on the wraparound porch. Down the front steps and after a brief walk through the frontyard you will come upon the pool house and pool. There are various chaise lounges scattered around and the poolhouse has a bathroom, kitchen area with bottled water and various sodas, and a small sitting area sheltered from the elements. The views from the pool area are absolutely stunning. The colors are so vivid that you feel like it can't be real and that your eyes are playing tricks on you.
When you do not want to stay at the pool, the staff at the hotel will drive you down to the beachhouse restaurant that is part of the hotel. The beachhouse has a full service restaurant, provides towels, and also has a shower, and restrooms. We ate there and tried several different menu items. They were all very good and the portions were just right. We also took several walks along the beach in either direction and enjoyed the scenery. When you are ready to return to The Peninsula House, one of the beachhouse restaurant employees will call the hotel for you so you may be taken back to the hotel. Dinners at the hotel were all very good. They served an appetizer, entree, and a dessert. Dinners were almost always a choice between a seafood or lamb, pork, or beef entree. I am not a vegetarian, but I am certain if you let them know of any dietary restrictions, they would accommodate your request. My husband can not eat garlic, and after we let them know this, the staff was always very careful about honoring my husband's request for no garlic.
I have thought and thought about what I might be able to say that would paint a picture for anyone trying to decide if they should splurge and stay here at this hotel, instead of other less expensive options. My answer is the incredible service given to me by all the The Peninsula House staff and owners. They are truly happy to honor all your requests for your comfort and enjoyment. I honestly felt like I lived there and had crossed the rubicon into a life of barefoot elegance and luxury.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lchandler4285
paris 16
Reviewed 4 March 2011

We have been in many high-end hotels ( Amanresorts , Four seasons, Ritz....) but this is a different experience. It is like a movie decor, everything from the decor to the ambiance is perfect.

We will be back!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank skyisblue11
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 August 2010

If you are looking for a quiet romantic hideaway, this is truly perfection! From the location, tucked in the hills of Las Semanas, to the gorgeous rooms, the unobtrusive yet perfectly attentive staff, this place has it all. Both the pool and the beach are divine, and because we were there during the rainy season, it was great to have the portico over hanging the upstairs balcony, thus you could sit outside and still be protected from the elements.
The essence of PH lies in the details of the place - from the exquisite china at each meal to the antiques and artwork that fill the rooms and halls. The feel is rather formal, but in a relaxed way, if this makes sense.
This is not the place to go for an exuberant holiday, rather it is a place to relax and unwind in a refined piece of paradise. We left rejuvinated and refreshed, and would not hesitate to return on holiday.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BellaO6
NYC
Reviewed 10 March 2010

My husband and I wanted to extend a trip we were taking to the Dominican Republic for a wedding. I found this hotel on Trip Advisor, and thought it looked and sounded (from the other reviews) amazing. It totally surpassed both of our expectations! There is no detail that has been forgotten, from the warm cookies at night when you get back to your room, to the chicest table settings everyday for breakfast and dinner to the beach tote they have for you to take your belongings down the the beach. Thomas, Marie Claude, Cary and their entire staff are make everything run seamlessly! Though they are always there to make your stay more comfortable, they are not over bearing! Even more beautiful than the views of the landscaping around the house is the view from the little beach house that they drive you down to every day. This little beach house opens right up to the ocean! They provide you with towels and chairs. But even better, the beach house is a restaurant and bar with delicious food prepared with local produce and fish as well as wonderful creative drinks. It is so nice to come off the beach at sundown and relax with glass of wine and great music. We were so sad to leave, but we know we will return!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LaDolceVitaNYC
Albany, GA
Reviewed 23 January 2010

This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic. We opted not to rent a car (quite a few people had advised against it) so we spent almost all of our time at the inn and did not go out exploring. The Pennisula House is not on the beach but it has beautiful grounds and great views. We spent some time at the pool and had it to ourselves. If you enjoy large crowds and a swim-up bar, this place may not be for you. It was very quiet and peaceful. The beach is about a 10 minute drive away and the staff will drive you there and get you back. The restaurant that they own (The Beach House) is on the beach and is very good. The inn itself is designed to look like an old victorian home. They pay a lot of attention to detail. We ate almost all of our meals at the inn and the food and the service was wonderful. Overall a great place to stay for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank doxielover202
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Incredible service, amazing attention to detail! Just absolutely exquisite! It is the most wonderful place I have vacationed at yet! I just LOVE it!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo