“The Best Thing in The Dominican”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Las Terrenas
The Peninsula House
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Edmonton, Canada
“The Best Thing in The Dominican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

The most challenging part of The Peninsula House is finding it - but once found it doesn't disappoint. The old world charm began when Jerome greeted us at the door after our drive up the long and winding road to its door (thank you Lennon and McCartney). We were barely across the threshold when we were offered drinks as we were shown to our chamber. Chilled champagne followed! The entire house was a lovely and welcome taste of European decor and atmosphere. Our room was adorned with a chandelier in the entry and opened to a spacious bedroom complete with a four poster and a separate area filled with a velvet couch and chairs. Antiques and artwork were everywhere. The doors and windows opened to the balcony which overlooked the rolling, manicured lawns. I sank into the couch for a time and sighed when I entered the enormous bathroom. I was delighted by the french style bathtub - the large double walk in shower and the L'occitaine soaps and shampoos. I didn't think it could get much better - then came dinner. A starlit night on the wraparound porch - exquisite china and service. Jerome hovered but didn't annoy. The meal was to die for - one of the best we have had anywhere on our travels. Marie Claude and her staff, Sophie and Jerome outdid themselves. The history and culture that this hotel offers is a lovely throwback to the old world elegance of France, Africa and Asia - right down to the dishes and other adornments. Breakfast in the morning on the sunny balcony was complete with silver coffee and tea pots and toast and jam. Unfortunately on our visit there was construction noise from a neighbouring villa - however it didn't dampen my enthusiasm for this magical place. It is a delightful escape into another world. I promise you will be charmed.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Connie000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Charleston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Just returned from a four night stay and the Peninsula House is beyond amazing! The staff, the location, the view exceeded any expectation. A special place run by a family with great passion! Chef and Beach House bar staff is amazing!

Room Tip: must take the full day quad (ATV) trip recomended by Sophia
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank J K
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

The Peninsula House offers impeccable service, food, and amenities in a quiet, secluded setting. The attention to detail is astounding, and the house is incredibly beautiful, with gorgeous antique furniture, lush plants, beautiful artwork, stunning ocean views, five-star food . . . even the silverware was the most beautiful that I've ever seen. What really made this place worthwhile, though, was the kindness and attentiveness of the hosts. They went above and beyond to welcome us, help us, and make us feel comfortable during our stay. This place is perfect for couples who want a romantic getaway!

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Serine C
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

We had a phenomenal experience at the Peninsula House from start to finish. The setting, design, rooms, service and food were impeccable. The views and grounds are unbeatable, and the beds are easily the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The value was terrific -- far superior to the run-of-the-mill larger places that we've seen elsewhere in the the DR. We felt privileged to be in such a wonderful and unique place and hope to be able to return -- it is a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank HoratioNY
Ventnor City, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

we are two couples that always go away on vacation together. We were greeted when we arrived by the owner and three large dogs. This was a suprise since one of our friends is very scared of dogs. We were surprised that this small hotel had three dogs living on the first floor. This is a small inn as what you would consider more like a B&B. The place was secluded and had an armed guard sitting on a white chair outside of the front entrance-probably for security. The roads are not paved and not in a very safe area either. We stayed at the small inn as we did not want to venture into town as there were no signs. This is for someone who wants complete quiet and to be secluded from other people. We found the previous reviews to be somewhat misleading unless things have changed for the worse very recently. We wouold not recommend this place for a vacation.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
13 Thank mortgagemall
C_Guy12, Public Relations Manager at The Peninsula House, responded to this review, 11 June 2011
Dear Mortgagemall,

I'm sorry but we believe you have mistaken us for another hotel as we have had no recent bookings of 2 couples "traveling together" prior to the 16th May 2011.

We have had other couples traveling together that stayed with us in early April, however... they were not visiting from New Jersey.

We do hope that you keep The Peninsula House in mind for your next trip with your friends when your travel plans permit.

Best Regards,
Cary
The Peninsula House
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights before joining a wedding party at an all inclusive resort in Samana. We have never stayed at a bed and breakfast resort before and, honestly, it took us a few nights to get used to the lack of anonymity that is inherent in such a small and exclusive hotel. However, once we did, we were able to truly appreciate and enjoy the attention and detail that the owners and staff take in everything they do. The reviews on trip advisor are absolutely accurate and I will not repeat the multitude of positive comments previously stated. However, I was REALLY able to appreciate the great food and attention to guests needs after staying in an all inclusive resort after the Peninsula House. I wish that we had been able to do the reverse where the all inclusive resort came first and then the Peninsula House!. I can only imagine how much more we would have enjoyed everything, including the PEACE AND QUIET!!!!. I am not sure that I could stay at the Peninsula House for an extended period, but it is a beautiful accent to a trip that you are already taking to the Dominican.

Further, because we could not fly directly into the airport in Samana (our time restrictions) we flew into Punta Cana and had to take a small plane for about an hour to Samana. This was all arranged (and taxi trips throughout) by Sophie at the Peninsula house in advance of our arrival. She also helped us arrange a motor bike rental so we could travel around a little during our stay. Finally, after having been at the wedding resort and on the way back to catch my small plane to Punta Cana, it became clear to me that there may be a mix up with the location of the small aircraft. Sitting at a small deserted airport at 8am by myself (my husband left 2 days earlier), with no english speaking people around and very little time for error, I called the Peninsula House for help. Thankfully, one of the owners answered and immediately called the airline and confirmed (in spanish) the airport that I was waiting at. When the pilot arrived, he explained that he had been waiting at the other airport. Without the assistance of the Peninsula House, I would never have made my flight from Punta Cana home that day. And that is the beauty of the Peninsula House, you absolutely feel that they are able and willing to help, no matter what the scenario is. When you are in a foreign country, travelling alone,and don't speak the language, you realize just how important it is to have people to count on and the Peninsula house delivered.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank meredithoakville
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

I know the cliche that states "if it is too good to be true, than it probably is" is the first thing that came to my mind when I read all the trip advisor reviews, various articles, and other literature available on the internet about The Peninsula House and all its accolades. So, of course, I had to check it out for myself, to see if this hotel truly was an oasis of perfection as everyone has written.
Well, I have to agree with all the guests who have written positive reviews about The Peninsula House, yes, it really is perfect! Every detail is taken care of for you. From your arrival to departure, they will handle any and all requests for you.
We had a very animated driver pick us up at the Santo Domingo airport and drive us to the hotel. The hotel will also arrange a flight from Santo Domingo to the airport near Las Terrenas for you should you want to speed up the transfer process. The drive from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas is not speedy, but it gave my husband and me an opportunity to see part of the Dominican Republic. I recommend the drive rather than the flight, especially if your flight arrives mid-afternoon. You have already lost a day to travel so you might as well see part of the country.
The Peninsula House is located on a hill overlooking the sea. The guest rooms are large with a nice indoor and outdoor sitting area. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was outfitted with a nice shower and there was a nice soaking tub as well. They provided L'Occitane products as toiletries. The room was so beautiful that it was a shame we were not in it more often, but the hotel was always crying out for us to discover everything it had to offer!
The main level of the hotel has an open-air atrium in the center and is surrounded by a couple of sitting areas, dining room, and billiards room. Dinners are outside on the wraparound porch. Down the front steps and after a brief walk through the frontyard you will come upon the pool house and pool. There are various chaise lounges scattered around and the poolhouse has a bathroom, kitchen area with bottled water and various sodas, and a small sitting area sheltered from the elements. The views from the pool area are absolutely stunning. The colors are so vivid that you feel like it can't be real and that your eyes are playing tricks on you.
When you do not want to stay at the pool, the staff at the hotel will drive you down to the beachhouse restaurant that is part of the hotel. The beachhouse has a full service restaurant, provides towels, and also has a shower, and restrooms. We ate there and tried several different menu items. They were all very good and the portions were just right. We also took several walks along the beach in either direction and enjoyed the scenery. When you are ready to return to The Peninsula House, one of the beachhouse restaurant employees will call the hotel for you so you may be taken back to the hotel. Dinners at the hotel were all very good. They served an appetizer, entree, and a dessert. Dinners were almost always a choice between a seafood or lamb, pork, or beef entree. I am not a vegetarian, but I am certain if you let them know of any dietary restrictions, they would accommodate your request. My husband can not eat garlic, and after we let them know this, the staff was always very careful about honoring my husband's request for no garlic.
I have thought and thought about what I might be able to say that would paint a picture for anyone trying to decide if they should splurge and stay here at this hotel, instead of other less expensive options. My answer is the incredible service given to me by all the The Peninsula House staff and owners. They are truly happy to honor all your requests for your comfort and enjoyment. I honestly felt like I lived there and had crossed the rubicon into a life of barefoot elegance and luxury.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple